Lowering drinking age

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Lowering drinking age

Postby Dmitri on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:40 am

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bal-te ... 2447.story

One fun little bit of trivia I had no idea about:
Each state has the authority to set its own drinking age, but in 1984 Congress passed the National Minimum Drinking Age Act, which says that states with a drinking age lower than 21 will lose 10 percent of their federal highway money. After that law passed, all 50 states raised their drinking age to 21.

Can you believe these federal bastards?! >:( >:( >:(
Dmitri
Great Old One

Re: Lowering drinking age

Postby edededed on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:41 am

Ha ha - that's actually kind of funny... But who really enforces these rules at home, anyway? (In Japan, they do, though.)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:01 am

Dmitri wrote:http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bal-te.md.drink19aug19,0,2322447.story

One fun little bit of trivia I had no idea about:
Each state has the authority to set its own drinking age, but in 1984 Congress passed the National Minimum Drinking Age Act, which says that states with a drinking age lower than 21 will lose 10 percent of their federal highway money. After that law passed, all 50 states raised their drinking age to 21.

Can you believe these federal bastards?! >:( >:( >:(

You mean you didn't know that? I thought it was common knowledge.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:10 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:You mean you didn't know that? I thought it was common knowledge.

I came to this country too late :)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:32 am

I've lived here my whole life and I didn't know that.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:56 am

If I remember correctly, and I might not, the problem was that drunk driving was completely out of control for that age group and dui's went down pretty good after the age limits were raised. I could just be repeating government mind control propaganda though.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:22 am

I could just be repeating government mind control propaganda though.

Whenever you do that the terrorists win here in our morning in america.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:12 am

Bär wrote:If I remember correctly, and I might not, the problem was that drunk driving was completely out of control for that age group and dui's went down pretty good after the age limits were raised. I could just be repeating government mind control propaganda though.

So that says that a majority of DUI offenders at that time were teenagers? Or were the police somehow targeting teenage drivers at that point? I guess what I'm trying to say is that we have drunk drivers today from teens to senior citizens, probably always have since people began driving. How would the number of DUIs drastically go down once they passed this law?
(not targeting you Bar, just posing the question...)

MikeC
MikeC

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:47 am

Way I heard it was basically a small group of anti-alcohol folks were lobbying to raise the limit and got their way. Some states were holding out so the feds used the highway funding to force their hand.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby dragontigerpalm on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:41 am

IMO one of the leading causes of accidents is when a driver, often inexperienced, overestimates his ability - to control the car at speed, to maneuver in moving traffic and negotiate curves and in enterring into the traffic flow. This combined with a teenagers sense of immortality and alcohol is often a recipe for disaster. I have no problem though with a lower drinking age but I would raise the minimum age for driving.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:03 pm

Wrong thing to get mad at the "federal" gov't for. Imagine if the drinking age is 12 in GA and 21 in Alabama?
Nope, you'll never stop underage drinking. I did it. Of course, I remember when the drinking age was 21, but you could get drafted at 18.

Ah well, anyway, there's no good fighting it. That's what this country was built on and is too invested in to give up: i.e., ATF... er alcohol, tobacco and firearms. Fuck with them, and you fuck with America.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:09 pm

I think the drinking age should be lowered to 16 and the min driving age should be raised to somewhere in the mid 20's.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:38 pm

Steve James wrote:Wrong thing to get mad at the "federal" gov't for. Imagine if the drinking age is 12 in GA and 21 in Alabama?
Nope, you'll never stop underage drinking. I did it. Of course, I remember when the drinking age was 21, but you could get drafted at 18.

Ah well, anyway, there's no good fighting it. That's what this country was built on and is too invested in to give up: i.e., ATF... er alcohol, tobacco and firearms. Fuck with them, and you fuck with America.

You can still be drafted at 18 but can't drink till 21. Its stupid. If you are old enough to die for this country you should be old enough to drink in it. I don't really care which they change as long as its consistent.

But then you also have the problem of the national govt finding ways to overide state sovreignty, which is what the civil war was about.

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Bär on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:46 pm

MikeC wrote:
Bär wrote:If I remember correctly, and I might not, the problem was that drunk driving was completely out of control for that age group and dui's went down pretty good after the age limits were raised. I could just be repeating government mind control propaganda though.

So that says that a majority of DUI offenders at that time were teenagers? Or were the police somehow targeting teenage drivers at that point? I guess what I'm trying to say is that we have drunk drivers today from teens to senior citizens, probably always have since people began driving. How would the number of DUIs drastically go down once they passed this law?
(not targeting you Bar, just posing the question...)

MikeC

I said "for that age group". So the story was that dui's went down for late teens when the drinking ages were raised. Don't overcomplicate it.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:56 pm

shawnsegler wrote:I think the drinking age should be lowered to 16 and the min driving age should be raised to somewhere in the mid 20's.

S

That's a good idea, except that people still need to get experience. Sorry to say, in some countries you have to be able to drive in order to get a license --and that means more than knowing how to turn the key, step on the pedals, steer and know how to read signs. Then we could actually raise the speed limit.

But, that's a different topic. When it comes to "drinking", in general, I'm not against serving children wine. But, I realize that the problem is not the wine, the problem is over-drinking. Kids don't have self-control. When I was a kid, whenever the adults were drinking and I was around, they would give me some --that's diluted whisky, scotch or whatever.

However, when I was a teenager, it was my friends that encourage me to drink, underage. You know the story. We'd ask an older person who was going into the liquor store. Funny thing, I never got drunk, to the point where I had to throw up or be helped home.

Anyway, if not 21, then why 18? why not 10? why any age limit at all? Either the numbers are arbitrary or they have some reason. If you think it should be 17, then make the argument why it shouldn't be 17. If ther's no reason, then 21 is just as good as any other number. The smae goes for all the legal age distinctions between adult and juvenile (or minor).

Yeah, you can still be drafted, but there's no draft. That might have been the reason for the change in '84.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic