People are Funny

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

People are Funny

Postby Steve James on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:32 pm

Rush Limbaugh
“If people are violating the law by doing drugs," Rush Limbaugh pontificated in 1995, “they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up.” Eight years later, the radio giant was himself under investigation for violating drug laws, and after three years of legal wrangling, Limbaugh was charged in Florida with fraudulently concealing information to procure prescription drugs.

Eliot Spitzer
"I am going to restore ethics to Albany." Jaws dropped in March when the New York Times identified holier-than-thou New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer as Client 9 of a big-bucks prostitution ring.

Bill Bennett

Education secretary for President Reagan and the first President Bush’s drug czar, Bill Bennett, 65, calls himself in his official bio “a man of strong, reasoned convictions.” He writes books with titles like "The Moral Compass" and "The Book of Virtues: A Treasury of Great Moral Stories." Basically, not the kind of guy expected to lose an estimated $8 million over a decade at video poker and slot machines. But in 2003, the Washington Monthly revealed Bennett had done just that.

Ted Haggard
He was pastor to thousands, president of the National Association of Evangelicals and consultant to presidential strategist Karl Rove. Ted Haggard, 52, was also a regular customer of male prostitute Mike Jones, who in 2006 claimed monthly, drug-fueled romps with the preacher. Haggard confessed to “sexual immorality” and resigned from his Colorado Springs’ New Life Church. As Jones later told the New York Times, “Here is Ted preaching about being shameful — You won’t see the kingdom of God if you’re gay, and blah, blah, blah — and then he sneaks around with me.”

Laura Schlessinger
Radio’s Dr. Laura berates callers for premarital sex and cohabitation, and working while raising children. Recently on “Today,” she said wives who don’t focus on their husband’s needs are partly to blame if he cheats. One would assume that Schlessinger, 61, has lived a moral life. Well, except for the time a boyfriend snapped nude photos of her, while she was married to another man. When the pics surfaced in 1998, Schlessinger, who actually isn’t a shrink (she has a doctorate in physiology), denied their veracity before coming clean: “I was my own moral authority,” she said in Newsweek. “The inadequacy of that way of life is painfully obvious today.”

Suzanne Somers
Comedians dubbed the scandal Thighgate. When a tabloid photographed actress and diet guru Suzanne Somers leaving a liposuction clinic in 2001, publishers were preparing to release her latest book "Eat, Cheat and Melt the Fat Away." And it wasn’t a plastic surgery guide. Seems Somers, then 54, didn’t owe her great body entirely to her signature product, the ThighMaster.

Strom Thurmond
This controversial son of the South led the splinter party Dixiecrats in the 1948 presidential campaign on a pro-segregation platform. After losing his White House bid, Thurmond served a record 47 years in the U.S. Senate, punctuated by his 24-hour, 18-minute filibuster (another record) against the 1957 civil rights bill. Yet throughout this era, he knew he had fathered a child of an African-American housekeeper. The child, Essie Mae Washington-Williams, was 78-years-old when Thurmond died at age 100 and it became public that she was his daughter. As the New York Times indelicately put it, Washington-Williams is "the unacknowledged mixed-race daughter of the Senate's most notorious white supremacist."

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Bill Cosby
Wrote the book "Fatherhood", but in 1997 a woman named Autumn Jackson was arrested after trying to extort $40 million from Cosby, claiming to be his illegitimate daughter. Cosby admitted to an affair with Jackson's mother but denied fathering Jackson. She was convicted of extortion and sentenced to 26 months in jail..

Any other good examples? Ok, Edwards as Father of the Year counts, but is played.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: People are Funny

Postby AllanF on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:59 pm

No examples to share at the moment. Just wanted to say i love the smell of irony in the morning!
Thanks made me chuckle!
AllanF

Return to Off the Topic