Child Abuse - What would you do?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Child Abuse - What would you do?

Postby Ben on Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:10 pm

My wife took my daughter to an open house at her school a few weeks ago and when they pulled up they say this big lady with about a 6 year old boy. The lady was screaming in the kids face in front of the school and then punches the kid close fisted in the head/face a few times. My wife followed the lady and told the principle about it. The already had a lot of trouble with the family so I guess its just getting added to the file. :-\

I've been thinking a lot about it ever since she told me about it and what I would have done had I been there. I would have had to confront the woman because as soon as she started punching the kid I don't think I could just watch. I think I would do what I needed to to stop the danger to the child and get the cops on the way. Of course, "what I need to" would depend on how the lady reacts.

So, what would you do?
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Re: Child Abuse - What would you do?

Postby klonk on Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:15 pm

Your wife did the right thing.

You could not have intervened usefully before the event was over.

Slow justice is just as good as fast, only it takes longer. Forever, sometimes.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:05 pm

remember that your intervention could get the kid beat even more if there is no followup ... that is a tough question.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:11 pm

Your wife did the right thing.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:19 pm

agree with what the other guys said. but seeing a woman punching her SIX YEAR OLD CHILD with a CLOSED FIST...
...man, i'd be REALLY fucking angry at seeing that.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:55 am

I think I would walk over and talk to her -- that would at least stop the immediate "activities." Nothing threatening or intimidating or "stop it!" or "you shouldn't do that!" -- I'd just ask her if she needed any help, and take it from there, staying away from engaging in an open verbal confrontation as much as possible.

She obviously needs psychiatric help (and the poor kid will probably need it too, when he grows up... :'()
I HATE the idea of involving "social services", because of how frequently they abuse their power, but this seems to be one of those cases when they might be the best course of action for everyone.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:37 am

Don't know where Ben lives, but in Texas or Florida, it's difficult for me to imagine circumstances where I'd call Child Protective Services.
Michael

Postby Dmitri on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:22 am

I don't think I would ever call them myself, I hate them too much. I just figured that school authorities would probably do that.

But what would you do though? She's got a problem, and it may be so severe that no amount of talking or other forms of "convincing" would do anything. So the "caring neighborhood militia" :) solution may not work. What then, just let the kid suffer and be possibly messed up as an adult? The "live and let live" idea goes only so far, for me; there's a line in the sand there...
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:54 am

Well if she starts to cut the kids head off with a knife then just run away...
MikeC

Postby TaoJoannes on Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:25 pm

Hmm,

At this point, I'd probably just go punch her and take my chances with the jury.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:05 pm

MikeC wrote:Well if she starts to cut the kids head off with a knife then just run away...

MikeC, the Caped Crusader, lol!
Last edited by Darthwing Teorist on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm

Ben wrote:My wife took my daughter to an open house at her school a few weeks ago and when they pulled up they say this big lady with about a 6 year old boy. The lady was screaming in the kids face in front of the school and then punches the kid close fisted in the head/face a few times. My wife followed the lady and told the principle about it. The already had a lot of trouble with the family so I guess its just getting added to the file. :-\

I've been thinking a lot about it ever since she told me about it and what I would have done had I been there. I would have had to confront the woman because as soon as she started punching the kid I don't think I could just watch. I think I would do what I needed to to stop the danger to the child and get the cops on the way. Of course, "what I need to" would depend on how the lady reacts.

So, what would you do?

A punch in the face to a 6 year-old deserves at least a call to the cops. Smacks, I'd think about. Punches, I wouldn't hesitate. The mother might have good reason, too; but, it's just too dangerous to let go. If it were her 16 or 26 year-old, I wouldn't say a word (for a punch).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Mike Strong on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:30 pm

A six year old ?

I'd walk right up and deck her with a big right hand, ( in fanstasy land).

But Steve is right, - if he was a teenager, - I'd say, "hit him agine, - (I don't know what he did), but hit him agine; no wait, you hold his arms behind his back, and I'll knock his ass out".
Last edited by Mike Strong on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Strong

Postby Ben on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:56 pm

I definetly wouldn't go up and punch the lady but I would have to at least say something to stop the imeddiate beating. But if she started hitting the kid again I don't think I could stand there do nothing.

Its really just a messed up situation.

Dmitri, Love the "do you need any help". That could be taken another way. -box-
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby Ben on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:59 pm

Michael wrote:Don't know where Ben lives, but in Texas or Florida, it's difficult for me to imagine circumstances where I'd call Child Protective Services.

I live in Georgia.

I asked my brother in law whos a cop and he said its probably better for the kid to stay in an abusive home than to become a warden of the state. I don't think I agree with that one.

Whats CPS like in Florida and Texas?
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic