Extrasensory Situational Awareness

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Extrasensory Situational Awareness

Postby Dmitri on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:09 pm

Doc Stier wrote:At the risk of redundancy on this thread, ...

-lol-
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:14 pm

Whatever you hold in your mind will tend to occur in your life. If you continue to believe as you have always believed, you will continue to speak and act as you always have in the past. If you continue to speak and act act as you have always, you will continue to experience the same results. Thus, if you want different results in your life or your work, you have to make a change in your mind, thereby creating fresh motivation and different decisions leading to new goals and outcomes. 8-) -shrug-
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:22 pm

Thank you, Dmitri, for your consistently erudite, high quality input! ;D
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:20 pm

I try, I try...

That was just way too funny, simply couldn't resist.
Last edited by Dmitri on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:16 pm

Not a problem. An intriguing theme and its variations are worthy of repetition, especially when of interest to so many for such a long time. :)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Dan Djurdjevic on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:15 pm

This might not be very popular, but still...

http://dandjurdjevic.blogspot.com.au/20 ... sical.html
Dan Djurdjevic
Mingjing

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:07 pm

Thanks for your input, Dan. The martial art testings of Sixth Sense Awareness described in your link have been previously addressed in the early pages here, and are significantly different than the type of Extrasensory Situational Awareness, and the Automatic Reactions or Spontaneous Responses it typically generates, which is the primary focus of this thread. To be specific, I am most interested in the activation of the awareness and response phenomenon which occurs relative to sudden, UNPLANNED emergency circumstances and UNEXPECTED ambush assaults.

The type of testing depicted in your link does not replicate this phenomenon, imo, simply because the testing venue is a known entity from the start, one in which those being tested know in advance what is going to happen, but just not when it is going to happen. Thus, there will always be some degree of conscious mental expectation in that scenario, which produces a markedly different state of mind than that of the individual who is suddenly and unexpectantly faced with the immediate need to perceive and respond to an emergency situation or surprise ambush attack. These latter situations generally include no prior awareness or foreknowledge of the impending event which may influence a person's potential reaction and response, whereas the testing scenario obviously does.

For the vast majority of people, it is much easier to manifest an effective automatic reaction to impending danger and potential personal harm when their reactions are generated by an unthinking, subconsciously motivated spontaneous response than they would probably be capable of when consciously and knowingly intending to generate an effective reaction to an expected danger or attack. This is exactly why many people, even untrained individuals, are apparently able to allow an effective reaction and response when there is no time to think about what to do or about the probability of their success, but may not be able to do nearly as well, for example, in a competitive MMA venue, a boxing ring, or when invited out to the parking lot to fight someone, when more conscious mental factors are likely to negatively influence the outcome. -shrug-
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Dan Djurdjevic on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks Doc. I did note the difference in your thesis, but having just written the article and noticed the topic, I elected not to start a completely new thread given the issues canvassed here.

While I believe one can subconsciously respond to intent, I believe this results from physical cues such as sight, sound and contact (the latter is evident in push hands). I don't believe we have any reason to believe we can or do read intent without such cues. In other words I don't see a reason to believe in telepathy of any sort. The "extra" sense people speak of seems to me to be very likely a combination of the known senses picking up subtle cues in a subconscious way.

Though I am still open to the possibility that someone, somewhere might be able to do it, no one has yet demonstrated such an ability in a verifiable, repeatable way.

By contrast, people like Derren Brown show just how subtle the physical cues can be yet still permit "reading of intent".
Last edited by Dan Djurdjevic on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Djurdjevic
Mingjing

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:06 am

I agree that we all process various sensory data via the subtle cues we read in our daily communications and interactions with other people. We constantly interpret facial expressions, body language, vocal intonations, and so forth, in order to read between the lines, and usually without any conscious attention to the interpretive process. While some people are apparently more skilled than others in this regard, virtually everyone depends on these subtle cues to some degree, whether they realize it or not.

However, at some point, most people also experience inexplicable knowing and reaction to events which aren't so easily explained by merely reading subtle physical sense perceptions. Unlike the previous phenomenon, these experiences represent a unique awareness and reaction to unusual circumstances that don't normally occur on a daily basis and, unlike the skill of reading subtle sensory cues, aren't easily replicated at will in a way that can be tested and validated, imo. :)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Dan Djurdjevic on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:24 pm

That's fascinating Doc and I personally think you might be right, but sadly your hypothesis is, by its very nature, unfalsifiable and therefore untestable.
Dan Djurdjevic
Mingjing

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:15 am

According to researcher and author Betty Scott, EdD:

The broad range of intuitive human experiences falls into four distinct levels of awareness: physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual. Although any given experience may have elements of more than one level, experiences are usually easy to categorize according to the level at which they are consciously perceived.

Physical Level

The intuitive experiences defined as inspirational or psychic frequently depend on physical and emotional cues that bring them to conscious awareness. At the physical level a strong body response may be experienced in a situation where there is no reason to think that anything unusual is going on. The kind of jungle awareness which enables primitive people to sense danger when there are no sensory cues of its presence, is a highly developed form of intuition at the physical level. The cues of intuition on a physical level are not, however, always easy to perceive. Unfortunately, one often fails to acknowledge messages from the body until they become painful. If you are attuned to your body, you will notice your body responding differently to different people and different situations. At times you may feel open, warm, and responsive, and at other times you may feel that you want to close up and withdraw. Learning to trust your bodily responses is part of learning to trust your intuition.

Emotional Level

On the emotional level, as on the physical level, awakening intuition is inseparable from developing self awareness. On this level, intuition comes into consciousness through feelings. Sensitivity to other people's "vibes" or "vibrations of energy," instances of immediate liking or disliking with no apparent justification, or a vague sense that one is inexplicably supposed to do something, can be instances of intuition operating on this level.

How you feel about yourself, your relationships, and everything you do is related to how willing you are to take emotional intuitive cues into account when you are making choices. The better you know yourself, the more you can trust your intuition when it attracts you to someone you would like to know better, or warns you not to get involved. There is no evidence that men and women are inherently different in their intuitive capacities, but the popular belief that women are more intuitive than men is related to the fact that women in our society are not taught to repress feelings as much as men. Boys, however, are just as capable as girls when it comes to developing the intuitive function.

The obstacles to intuition can be grouped into four themes: physical tension, fears felt, desires felt and mental chatter. Not only do men have less social permission for being intuitive, they also are not encouraged to be self reflective. We all have a double barrier to overcome on our return to The Intuitive Self.

Mental Level

Intuition on the mental level often comes into awareness through images, or what is called "inner vision." Patterns of order may be perceived where everything at first appears chaotic, or patterns of change may be apprehended intuitively long before the verification process of careful observation is completed. In the West, the intuitive flashes which follow the exhaustive use of logic and reason tend to be more highly valued than other types of intuition.

Intuition on the mental level is operative in the formulation of new theories and hypotheses in any field, for this type of intuition implies an ability to reach accurate conclusions on the basis of limited information. Although all intuition is mental in the sense that it is a function of the mind, intuition on the mental level refers particularly to those aspects of intuition related to thinking.

Spiritual Intuition

Spiritual intuition is associated with mystical experience, and at this level intuition is "pure." Pure, spiritual intuition is distinguished from other forms by its independence from sensations, feelings, and thoughts. At this level intuition does not depend on sensing, feeling, or thinking. It is not associated with the body, the emotions, or pattern perception relating to specific problems or situations. Paradoxically, the cues on which intuition depends on other levels are regarded as interference on this level. However, an awareness of how intuition functions on other levels helps to dispel the misconception that intuition as a way of knowing is an all or nothing proposition.

The epiphany of spiritual insight seems to be the most distinctive form of intuition. Although it does not depend on the other three, it often expresses its appearance through them. In my view, separating the spiritual from the physical, emotional and mental aspects of life promotes an ungrounded connection with the Soul. Perhaps the yogi/yogin meditating in his or her Himalayan cave can achieve spiritual insight totally devoid of sense, feeling or thinking. But the rest of us should honor the way spirit ceaselessly seeks to manifest in daily life.

Excerpts from The Intuitive Self by Betty Scott, EdD
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby AlexanderG on Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:57 pm

First, I apologize for reviving a very old thread, hoping it's not a problem. Secondly, I haven't read all of it!

I came from a rather scientific back ground/way of thinking, until I started developing a fascination with this kind of "stuff", which I then pursued for nearly a decade. I learned years ago it wasn't wise to talk about these things publicly, to avoid the trolls and ridicule. I'm pleasantly surprised with the civil conversation you guys appear to have here, even as everyone's experience varies significantly and many are quite skeptical, people have been polite and open minded.

Dmitri wrote:I dunno Doc... I would venture a guess that modern psychology and related fields of study can probably explain very nicely every single instance of the "mysterious" phenomena you mention above as examples of something extraordinary... There are also things like perception of pheromones (which translates to literally "smelling fear", etc.)[...]

Regarding this, I could fill a book with experiences just from my personal life, not including anything else I've seen with other people, that can in no way be accounted for by means of "modern psychology and related fields of study". I am sure Doc Stier and other people here have been quite moderate in the kind of experiences they have shared, as I would think they've also, like me, have had experiences wildly unaccounted for by science. As I said, I have a rather rational mind, and a good understanding of science, dabbled in hypnosis and some branches of psychology as well, and I was able to separate all possible ways in which any of these experiments might be biased or corrupted by perception - these things just happen. I don't claim that I can scientifically prove any of it, nor is it that important to me anymore, I've experienced enough of it to convince a rational animal such as myself. Unfortunately, these things mostly are experienced by people who are open to them, which usually happen to be people who aren't very strong in their rational abilities, and their "evidence" is usually not evidence at all. That tends to make us all look a bit dumb ::)
AlexanderG
Santi

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:16 pm

Thanks for your input, AlexanderG. In the experience of many people regarding this phenomenon, it is most often about allowing such awareness to manifest in consciousness, rather than willfully engaging it. This is simply because it is a subconscious phenomenon, not the result of a conscious awareness choice or decision. Just let it go and let it flow by thinking less and feeling more! :)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby AlexanderG on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Fully in line with my experience Doc. The thing is, for some people it's natural, while for others, this letting go of the intellect is the hardest thing thing we can do, due to our upbringing and natural inclinations. It has taken me so many years, and I worked rather hard at it. Now I understand, one does not abandon reason, one just stops being ruled by it, I understand it is a tool and it is useful to me, but you can't solve every problem with a hammer. Life is so much more than thinking, no matter how good you're at it. Once I let go, I stopped being miserable, and started seeing things :)

Moreover, letting go is the core of internal training. Tcc has shown me that there's always so much more to let go off, and it's truly hard work! I know that when one thinks they've fully let go, they aren't paying enough attention.
AlexanderG
Santi

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:04 pm

In most fields of endeavor, the formula for attaining personal skill and achievement is generally an equation of subtraction rather than one of addition. Most often, less is more. As the mind becomes calmer and the body less tensed, awareness on all levels of being is greatly increased and the quality of one's intrinsic energy is greatly magnified. :)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic