Extrasensory Situational Awareness

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Extrasensory Situational Awareness

Postby BruceP on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:23 pm

*nod*

the reason I put the word, certain, in italics
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:22 pm

"The ultimate value of life depends upon awareness and the power of contemplation rather than upon mere survival." Aristotle
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby UniTaichi on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:11 pm

Shooter wrote:
UniTaichi wrote:Hi Shooter,

Pls post some of your ideas. I will give you some feedback.

thks.
D

UniTaichi, have you had a chance to try the drill yet? I have some ideas about altering things a bit to expand on the 'esa' thing but will have to wait until our group meets next week. What's outlined should be enough for your own group for now. Anyway, looking forward to your feedback

Hi Shooter,

The ''sucker punch'' and ''encroachment'' drill is quite unique, to me anyway. And no, I did not have a chance to bring it up to my group and actually doing it. Do you know of any reading or video that is close or have similarity to your drill for me to refer ?

Cheers,
D
UniTaichi
Anjing

Postby Bhassler on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Hey Shooter,

Even just reading about your drill got me going a little bit in terms of my own awareness and state of physical readiness, and when I thought about the trigger I realized that it's from my friends and I ambushing each other in class-- not as a part of class itself, but more as a natural outcome of a bunch of guys hanging out having a physical brand of fun. Ambush seems to be a big part of animal play and how animals learn to hunt and fight. If you watch a cat or certain breeds of dogs when they catch a small animal, the line between play and predation is pretty fine, to the point of being different degrees of expression on the same scale of instinct. Being in a relaxed, playful mindset also seems to be conducive to learning in general, not just for fighty or physical stuff.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:03 pm

Being in a relaxed, playful mindset also seems to be conducive to learning in general, not just for fighty or physical stuff.

I know you were talking to Shooter there, Brian, but that statement is solid gold and deserves a big Amen.
Chris McKinley

Postby wiesiek on Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:26 am

Chris McKinley wrote:. Sometimes when you open a door, you find you're not alone out there.

hehe,
it`s reminds me when i had 1st time out of the body experience...
there was so crowdy and not so friendly, that ...
well,
I decided to quit astral travels until I will have to jump thru the tunnel
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby RobP2 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:15 am

Chris McKinley wrote:
Being in a relaxed, playful mindset also seems to be conducive to learning in general, not just for fighty or physical stuff.

I know you were talking to Shooter there, Brian, but that statement is solid gold and deserves a big Amen.

Seconded, thirded and fourthed. It's interesting seeing how some classes are conducted. One approach is the over-stimulation - loud music, lots of shouting and competetiveness. Another is the trance-like, everyone movingin unison, no-one speaking. Another is the "iron discipline", everyone scared of the teacher.

None of those are particularly conducive to learning IMO, though aspects of them can be interesting to play around with. The playful mindset allows for a wide range of drills and responses and, more importantly, reflects your general day-to-day state you are likely to be in if and when something actually happens. If you need a physical and psychological warm-up to operate you will likely fail most of the time
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:44 am

UniTaichi wrote:Do you know of any reading or video that is close or have similarity to your drill for me to refer ?

Sorry, UniTaichi. I'm not aware of any drills like that one. It's important for anyone who actually works through the drill (yeah right) to not get hung up on the drill itself. It isn't the goal - it's just the technique.

The purpose of the drill has always been to create failure along the lines of ignoring intuition/instinct because of uncertain conventions and boundaries or simple peer pressure. We mortals do it all the time in real life and hope everything turns out right despite what our gut is telling us. Then we're looking back as we proceed forward...almost like regret. So the "sucker-punch drill" and all the tactical bullshit that gets developed as a consequence isn't really what the drill is about at its core - the tactical mess is merely the interactive component which facilitates exploration and introspection. The tactical BS is just the scum we skim off the top and maybe keep in a jar for our Master Sauce.

A quick google search for videos of 'suckerpunch drills' and a cursory look at most of what popped up shows that it's all about trained reactions and technicentric solutions. The set-ups aren't even real in everything I watched. Can't be bothered to search through what anybody else has written just to find something similar for you.

It's best to just do the drill. Decide who the subject will be and set it up with two others going on the pretext I suggested. Most importantly don't let the subject know what's going on. Everyone will get something out of it, I guarantee. If you do try it, just use a little bit of pressure - almost nothing aside from positioning and sidling. Hopefully the ideas start to flow and you can come up with different variations. This type of work isn't something you want to overthink because it's perpetrated for real by folks who operate in a very casual manner.
Last edited by BruceP on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:00 am

RobP2 wrote:
Chris McKinley wrote:

Seconded, thirded and fourthed. It's interesting seeing how some classes are conducted. One approach is the over-stimulation - loud music, lots of shouting and competetiveness. Another is the trance-like, everyone movingin unison, no-one speaking. Another is the "iron discipline", everyone scared of the teacher.

None of those are particularly conducive to learning IMO, though aspects of them can be interesting to play around with. The playful mindset allows for a wide range of drills and responses and, more importantly, reflects your general day-to-day state you are likely to be in if and when something actually happens. If you need a physical and psychological warm-up to operate you will likely fail most of the time

The atmosphere at the school I attend is like the trance state except very playful. When we spar usually everyone is up with their partner in the same space. Occasionally we like to sucker punch each other from behind or crouch down behind someone so they can get pushed over us. ;D All done very playfully and light hearted. There does have to be a certain amount of control on that kind of behavior so it doesn't get out of hand though.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby RobP2 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:18 am

Shooter wrote:
Sorry, UniTaichi. I'm not aware of any drills like that one. It's important for anyone who actually works through the drill (yeah right) to not get hung up on the drill itself. It isn't the goal - it's just the technique.

It's best to just do the drill. Decide who the subject will be and set it up with two others going on the pretext I suggested. Everyone will get something out of it, I guarantee. If you do try it, just use a little bit of pressure - almost nothing aside from positioning and sidling. Hopefully the ideas start to flow and you can come up with different variations. This type of work isn't something you want to overthink because it's perpetrated for real by folks who operate in a very casual manner.

+1 and nice drill! One of the toughest things is that the regular guys are always well switched on in class, there's always someone around to prod you with a stick or something :) Trying to recreate the "normal" state is difficult, so I like the idea of giving someone a task and then....
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks, Rob

RobP2 wrote:Trying to recreate the "normal" state is difficult, so I like the idea of giving someone a task and then....

yup
That's the tricky bit for the facilitator/instigator(?) to pull off. Especially while maintaining mutual trust before, during and after the work
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby UniTaichi on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am

Shooter
//The purpose of the drill has always been to create failure along the lines of ignoring intuition/instinct. //

Ok I get now what the drill supposed to create which I did not earlier. ??? Also thanks to Deus post on their ''sucker punch'' . Very clearly described. :)

Cheers,
D
UniTaichi
Anjing

Postby BruceP on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:44 am

Being in a relaxed, playful mindset also seems to be conducive to learning in general, not just for fighty or physical stuff

Yes. Enough can't be said for keeping it free and easy, fresh and fun.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:24 am

Hehehe....I'm gonna have me some fun applying your drill, Shooter. Just hope all my folks aren't reading my blatherings here on RSF, and that they don't decide to tar and feather me afterward for punking them. It'll be a couple of weeks minimum before I'll get the chance, but when I do, I'll post back on the mischief created.
Last edited by Chris McKinley on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris McKinley

Postby BruceP on Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Now that's something to look forward to
BruceP
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic