Extrasensory Situational Awareness

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Extrasensory Situational Awareness

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:46 am

Physical training and meditation in serene sunrise surroundings like this, as one example, greatly enhances the ability to withdraw outgoing thoughts and energy in order to focus on simply receiving both sensory and extrasensory impressions from the environment with a calmer and more passive state of mind that is totally present in the moment.

This enhanced mental state is neither engaged in memory based thoughts and feelings of the past, whether 10 minutes ago or 10 years ago, nor is it engaged in imagination based thoughts and feelings of the future, whether the immediate or distant future. Instead, the mind is completely engaged in the experience of being right here, right now!
Last edited by Doc Stier on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:49 am

"It has long been noted that increases in psychic abilities are associated with altered states of consciousness. Various cultures have worked to achieve such using methods, which include hallucinogenic drugs (Native American), prolonged meditation (ancient and modern Hindu texts), extreme vestibular stimulation (Sufi practice), and solitary, repetitive and isolated prayer (Kabblah). Because the nature of anomalous cognition is elusive and the experiences tend to be spontaneous, they are difficult to replicate under laboratory conditions.

It is commonly believed, among researchers that anomalous cognition operates like other senses in that perceptions result from the detection of subtle change. Theories cover a large range of possibilities. Some possibilities include non-visual wave motions, non-visual oscillating patterns, magnetic fields, infrared radiation and electrical energy. Other areas of investigation include examination of what physical organs may be involved in these types of perceptions. One area of speculation is that cylindrical structures located within neurons called 'cyotoskeletal microtubles' may be involved in the detection of such subtle changes. Research regarding these structures with regard to many aspects of consciousness is ongoing. Investigation is also underway regarding a theory that anomalous cognition also occurs when inhibitory systems are reduced."

Excerpt from Perceptions of Anomalous Cognition by Debbie Plotnick
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Re: Precognition and Premonition

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:44 am

Precognition and premonition are similar, yet distinctly different types of phenomenon. Precognition is marked by the certainty of knowing that something is definitely going to happen, while premonitions simply involve the uncertain feeling that something might happen.

Quantum physics does support one theory regarding precognition, namely that those who experience such glimpses of the future may be influenced by the events that are occurring at the present moment, which in turn may be altered by the thoughts and actions of these individuals as well.

Another controversial issue that surrounds precognition is the theory of psychokinetic energy, which suggests that precognition might activate the power to unleash powerful psychokinetic energies, which in turn manifests the seen future, with all the events happening just as they were envisioned.

Both precognition and premonition may be experienced as an extrasensory situational awareness in relation to otherwise unexpected personal assault scenarios or circumstances involving hidden dangers or potential threats of any kind.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby JusticeZero on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Except that jack-all of any of those nifty sounding words has been shown to have the slightest bit of validity. There's some big money waiting if you can show otherwise.

Today it is "Psychokinesis and the quantum mechanical nature of precognition". A century ago it was necromancy and the obvious powers of ghosts. Before that, it was.. what? Numerology based on the Bible? Symbols drawn on paper? Prayer? (Though that one keeps coming back..) They all seem to be applications of the fantasy by the lazy and entitled that if they just think hard enough that they can kick the asses of the guys who actually pick things up and do physical work.
"Freedom is the ability to move in any direction you choose." - Mestre No
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia
JusticeZero
Huajing

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:14 pm

JusticeZero wrote:Except that jack-all of any of those nifty sounding words has been shown to have the slightest bit of validity. There's some big money waiting if you can show otherwise.

Today it is "Psychokinesis and the quantum mechanical nature of precognition". A century ago it was necromancy and the obvious powers of ghosts. Before that, it was.. what? Numerology based on the Bible? Symbols drawn on paper? Prayer? (Though that one keeps coming back..) They all seem to be applications of the fantasy by the lazy and entitled that if they just think hard enough that they can kick the asses of the guys who actually pick things up and do physical work.

JZ:

So you say!

Nonetheless, I think you obviously missed the point here, dude. Nowhere on this thread have I stated that the ability to defend oneself, or the ability to fight effectively, doesn't require earnest physical training or the practical application of proven fighting techniques. Nor have I stated that extrasensory perceptions should be solely depended upon for adequate situational awareness. And I definitely haven't ever advocated lazy fantasy or concentrated thought powers as a substitute for consistent and serious hard work in a practical training regimen.

What has been stated, however, is simply that optimal situational awareness can include more than the usual sensory perceptions, particularly in those circumstances where the impending threat is not easily seen, heard, or smelled through use of the normal physical sense organs. I have also stated that additional extrasensory perceptions exist as well, and that these can be fully developed by anyone who chooses to add this valuable tool to their toolbox for use as needed.

If you choose to believe otherwise, that is certainly your right, and so be it. Fine by me, and more power to you. But if you believe it to be impossible to effectively employ anything other than physical skills and physical sense perceptions under any circumstances, you obviously won't be using the auxiliary skills referred to on this thread. Again, good luck with that.

I personally choose to develop and utilize any and all available skills for the greatest possible personal advantage when it comes to effective self-defense and real fighting in every circumstance.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:29 am

Another phenomenon which falls into the category of extrasensory awareness is that of mind to mind communication, commonly referred to as mental telepathy, derived from the Greek words tele ("distant") and pathos ("feeling"). In relation to this thread topic, telepathy often occurs spontaneously in incidents of emergency crisis, especially when a relative or close friend has been injured or killed in an accident. In these cases, one individual is telepathically aware of the danger or injury to the other person from a distance.

This precognitive knowledge that something negative has happened to a friend or relative, prior to confirmation of the facts, apparently manifests in a variety of different forms, including the definite feeling that something is wrong, or images and words included in a dream or a meditative vision, but specifically associated with a particular individual of concern. These same types of premonitions and precognitive images and visions can also enter conscious awareness regarding hidden dangers to oneself or impending crisis situations that may present potential personal injury or death.

In the latter instances, the extrasensory awareness is not related to unseen or unknown factors that may threaten or may have already harmed someone else, but is related instead to the extrasensory awareness of negative thoughts and feelings sent to you personally from someone else, or their negative intentions to act upon such thoughts and feelings to do you harm in some way. Again, this can be nothing more than the vague sense of some unknown danger close at hand, which has not yet been perceived through your physical sense organs. At the very least, additional alertness and caution should be exercised in these circumstances.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby whiskeytangofu on Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:41 pm

JusticeZero wrote:Except that jack-all of any of those nifty sounding words has been shown to have the slightest bit of validity. There's some big money waiting if you can show otherwise.

Applications of fantasy seemed to work out quite well for Walt Disney, Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci...

But of course, those guys didn't know nothin' about nothing', right?

Oh, and you know, guys like Sun Lutang, Morihei Ueshiba and Ip Man. But hey, they were just some Old World fools, eh?

::)
"Don't just do something, stand there!"
whiskeytangofu
Santi

Postby Michael on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Doc Stier wrote:These same types of premonitions and precognitive images and visions can also enter conscious awareness regarding hidden dangers to oneself or impending crisis situations that may present potential personal injury or death.

I've experienced all of the above relating to future dangers, including dreams. Not only for myself, but for those close to me. I have no way to explain it. Sometimes it's premonitory imagery, sometimes just knowledge without any associated sensory pathway bringing the knowledge.

It's my opinion that much of this is based on what Doc said above, perceiving the intentions of others, those intentions being the expressions and immaterial emanations of the powerful mind we all possess, but I also think it has something to do with how far "down the road" someone can see, or how far your education/training/pavlovian conditioning allows you to see.

There's a tremendous force in society always attempting to limit our field of view and depth of perception, this force finding it easier to manage those with severe tunnel vision and myopia, the ideal citizen being unconscious yet somehow obedient, and without these artificial limitations I wonder that everyone isn't capable of seeing far enough down the "road" of their own future upon which they're "driving" to perceive likely events that are at present beyond 5 sense confirmation, but events that will come to pass in the near or even distant future.

I also think "Minority Report" sucked. ;)
Last edited by Michael on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:59 am

Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:08 am

I love the things you keep adding to the thread doc. So even though there isn't much discussion right now just know that there is at least 1 person reading it.

When I was about 5 or 6 I had a dream where I was climbing up onto the awning of our house to get a ball that my brother and I accidentally threw up there, in the dream I got to the top and grabbed the ball then looked down and I fell. The next day we accidentally threw a ball on the awning and I went up to get it, when I grabbed the ball I remembered the dream when I looked down and the shock of remembering it made me fall :)

I think as children we all probably have some kind of odd stories about weird feelings that turn out true or dreams. Yet in our society we get told that premonitions aren't possible so we ignore them, we get told that dreams aren't important so we stop remembering them.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:47 am

Deus, it sounds like you need to have your blinders re-calibrated. Just go right down to your local university and they'll take care of it for you, to whatever degree is necessary.
Michael

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:48 am

Michael wrote:Deus, it sounds like you need to have your blinders re-calibrated. Just go right down to your local university and they'll take care of it for you, to whatever degree is necessary.

That is funny since I am in a masters program right now for education. ;D
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:07 am

Deus:

Thanks for sharing that story. :)

I would wager that most people have had similar experiences at one time or another, including those who seem so resistant to the basic premise of this thread. :P

Go figure! :-\

Doc
Last edited by Doc Stier on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:47 am

The What and the Where of this is pretty well understood from a number of different viewpoints. The Why not so much depending on the type(s) of meditative and other regimens outlined so far in this thread. The extent to which one subscribes to the phenomenon isn't really a hangup with me. To each their own.

I'm still waiting for the How of the ting

Aside from meditation/quietude leading to an enhanced attenuation of external noise on a 'clinical' level, how can this 'esa' stuff be explored and developed in a more interactive manner among folks who want get a less than ideal experience of it in action? Drills? Two-person work? -shrug-

I have my own ideas on how the concept could be explored, but I'm not even sure I understand the energetics well enough to give it its due

-edit-
for better choice of words and meaning
Last edited by BruceP on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Coiled_Spring on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:52 am

Sometimes when we are in a very deep dream, especially in the morning, we dream of suddenly falling off the cliff and realize we are falling from our bed...or when we suddenly fall onto the swimming pool, it is our mom splashing water on our face because we are late for school/office/college....or when someone just calls out our name, we wake up to see our gf calling our name....

Its amazing how dreams happen so much in tune with what is about to happen in reality.

Just like how suddenly we die in the dream to suddenly wake from it to our "reality", if we really die in this "reality", while depressed, moaning and crying from pain, we suddenly wake up to an even greater reality? I have observed that just like how the more "mindful" you are in your dream, the more you have control over the sequence of events. Even when the dream is very vague when we dont have much concentration and mindfulness in it, we still cannot figure out that it is not true, but just a dream. And when we are more mindful in the dream realm, we observe that we have more control over the sequence of events. What I learn from this is that one should have more mindfulness and alertness in the day to day life, only then will one have strong grip of our life. If we are absent-minded, lazy, sleepy etc, then we will have very mild control of our own life.
Coiled_Spring
Huajing

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic