Extrasensory Situational Awareness

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Extrasensory Situational Awareness

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Our behavior is based upon our subconscious beliefs. The subconscious mind consists of all involuntary processes and functions including thoughts, beliefs, emotions, memories, skills, instincts, and behaviors of which we are not consciously aware. They are generated by the subconscious mind, while the effects occur in the brain and body.

Many of the processes and functions of the subconscious mind involve implicit memories, which drive much of our subconscious abilities such as habits, skills, behaviors, reflexes, conditioned responses and emotional reactions, which we automatically demonstrate or engage in without much or any conscious awareness or thinking. If we want to change any of these subconscious implicit memories, we must interface with the subconscious mind.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Sixth Sense Exists In Brain

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:46 am

Telepathy? Psychokinesis? Mind-reading? Nope.

The brain does have a “sixth sense” beyond taste, smell, touch, sight and hearing, researchers say, but it’s nothing worthy of the X-Men.

Sixth Sense Exists In Brain

According to Utrech University’s Benjamin Harvey, a sixth part of the human brain works topographically, as do the five sections associated with senses, to map numbers in our brains and count items in the world at large, a concept referred to as “numerosity.”

"We use symbolic numbers to represent numerosity and other aspects of magnitude, but the symbol itself is only a representation," Harvey said in a press release announcing the news.

To uncover this “sixth sense,” Harvey and his colleagues asked eight adult study participants to look at patterns of dots that varied in number over time, all the while analyzing the neural response in their brains.

Their efforts revealed a topographical layout of numerosity in the human brain; the small quantities of dots the participants observed were encoded by neurons in one part of the brain, and the larger quantities, in another. This finding demonstrates that topography can emerge not just for lower-level cognitive functions, like the primary senses, but for higher-level cognitive functions, too.

"We are very excited that association cortex can produce emergent topographic structures," Harvey said.

"We believe this will lead to a much more complete understanding of humans' unique numerical and mathematical skills," Harvey said.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Is 'Numerosity' Humans' Sixth Sense?

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:28 am

Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:21 pm

Lately I have been working on noticing my own stress levels and I've probably sensitized myself to this feeling.
Last edited by Michael on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

The Power of Premonitions

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:14 am

I admit that I'm somewhat surprised by the duration of this thread and how many people have read parts or all of it, but even more surprised that so few here have attempted to contribute any positive input to the topic. Go figure! :/
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:20 am

I have often wondered if anyone sees a connection between extrasensory awareness and the so-called energetic 'listening' skills of the IMA styles? Your thoughts anyone?
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:40 am

I developed listening skills in qigong and I do think there's a connection with extrasensory awareness. Part of it is the initial ability to focus your mind, then get the sensation, and then have a conscious reaction to it. Whatever mechanism or pathway that allows that to happen beyond the five sense spectrum is going to become attuned more and more to your mind's awareness. That has to have some bleedover to other areas.
Michael

Postby RobP2 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:44 am

Doc Stier wrote:I admit that I'm somewhat surprised by the duration of this thread and how many people have read parts or all of it, but even more surprised that so few here have attempted to contribute any positive input to the topic. Go figure! :/

TBH Doc I'd rather practice stuff than talk about it, or at least put up video clips or links rather than long on-line conversations with who knows who

http://www.russianmartialart.com/article_info.php?articles_id=79#.U43Rb_ldWSo
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Doc Stier wrote:I admit that I'm somewhat surprised by the duration of this thread and how many people have read parts or all of it, but even more surprised that so few here have attempted to contribute any positive input to the topic. Go figure! :/

I knew you were going to say that. ;)
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:30 pm

My qigong practise definitely adds to my extrasensory awareness.
Precognition - I poof myself couple of times that i`m not dreaming.
I have also very interesting "back in time"/very deep/, experience, but unable to poof the reality of such "flashbacks".
Is it positive input Doc.? :)

connection between extrasensory awareness and the so-called energetic 'listening' skills is obvious in my opinion.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby klonk on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:25 pm

The points I've mentioned already, the feeling that one's skin is moving for no apparent reason, "He made my skin crawl," and the feeling of hairs standing on end, are useful and demonstrable real-world warning signs. When these things happen there is often trouble about somewhere, even if you do not recognize what it is, exactly.

I do not know that I would use the word "extrasensory." It could be put down to intuition, of the kind needed in former times to avoid being eaten by something large and hairy, or to survive the tribal or clan wars with which early man occupied himself much of the time. On that view there need not be anything spooky or paranormal about the explanation. On that view, we are talking about manifestations of the feeling that something ain't quite right but we don't yet know what it is.

I will say that sensitivity to the skin and hair cues I am talking about is enhanced by relaxed zhan zhuang or relaxed movement a la taiji. That, though, does not prove any paranormality is going on, because doing either of those things improves your sensitivity in general. As we become more aware generally of our bodies, that includes better awareness of danger cues.

There is also something referred to commonly as a "gut feeling," which when attention is paid to it turns out to be exactly that.

"He made my skin crawl"
"The place made my hair stand on end."
"I had a gut feeling about it."

All of these are so commonplace that we have everyday expressions to describe them. I think such things are innate, but can be enhanced by practices that increase your body awareness.
Last edited by klonk on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:11 pm

A further thought: Your dog intuits something is wrong before you do. Keener senses might explain it, rather than superior cultivation in internal arts. :D
klonk
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:15 am

you know, i started to believe in my intuition, when one day I parked my car under the old tree near by my home. Nothing special, day like day, but...
I got strange filings >>danger<<,kinda of red light, in the guts, when i shut the door.
so
I did circle around the car, made double check twice, even returned half way and checked again,
but
didn`t care about the tree /wasn`t even very close/, it was there , always...
an hour later, was still there, partially on the roof my car... ,
It was nice spring day, no storm or heavy wind , nothing spectacular.

Such ability to felt the danger is quite natural for all animals i suppose,
our contemporary life just muffled it, we simply don`t pay attention :-\
Last edited by wiesiek on Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:45 am

Thanks guys! Your posts are definitely positive input.

Regarding intuition, one of the primary assertions of this entire thread is simply that intuitive 'knowing' is in fact a form of extrasensory awareness, which involves something more than ordinary sense perception data. :)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic