Extrasensory Situational Awareness

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Extrasensory Situational Awareness

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:14 pm

Well, I live in the big city, and when I'm on the subway I sense people watching me all the time :) But, afa your experience, I get what you're saying. Now, if I were in the country hunting a predator, like bear or cougar, all my senses would be on high alert because of the situation. That includes the senses I'm aware of as well as the senses that I may not be aware of, but that I would depend on for survival.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:18 am

Steve James wrote:Now, if I were in the country hunting a predator, like bear or cougar, all my senses would be on high alert because of the situation. That includes the senses I'm aware of as well as the senses that I may not be aware of, but that I would depend on for survival.

Well said. This was and is exactly the point of this entire thread, regardless of where we live. Even in the city, survival may depend upon allowing that type of subtle extrasensory awareness, followed by increased conscious alertness, to be automatically activated when needed, since most street crimes involve hidden intention and the element of surprise to overwhelm the victim before they even realize what is happening. :o

Thus, an effective advanced warning system is indispensible, imo. -oldman-
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:00 pm

What about the phenomenon of unconscious, sleeping individuals suddenly awakening with an inexplicable, negative feeling that something is wrong, that a threat exists just outside the house or perhaps already inside the house? How is it that this extrasensory awareness of potential danger can enter our consciousness and awaken our body, prepared to respond on full alert, even while we are sleeping? Can we deliberately and specifically program our subconscious mind to insure such mental awareness and physical response?
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Good question. Is there a way to train it?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:24 pm

I asked you first! ;)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:24 pm

Wish I knew a specific technique.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:03 pm

Steve James wrote:Wish I knew a specific technique.

There's certainly been a number of specific techniques presented in the course of the past 37 pages of this thread thus far. Perhaps you should check a few of them out. ;)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:30 pm

The question is, when are you sensing things, and when are you imagining things?
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:11 pm

klonk wrote:The question is, when are you sensing things, and when are you imagining things?

If even the smallest shade of doubt exists, you are probably only imagining things! :-\
Doc Stier
Great Old One

The Door To Imagination

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:41 pm

Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:38 am

Doc Stier wrote:
klonk wrote:The question is, when are you sensing things, and when are you imagining things?

If even the smallest shade of doubt exists, you are probably only imagining things! :-\

When can there not be doubt, if you're talking about something that can't be quantified or assessed?
Finny
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:47 am

I sense a disturbance in the force - as if a billion voices cries out at once and then were silent. Was it just me or is anybody else getting that too?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:15 am

Finny wrote:When can there not be doubt, if you're talking about something that can't be quantified or assessed?

The type of awareness being referenced here is NOT dependent upon conscious thought of any kind, including value judgements and personal discriminations based on mental quantification or assessment, which often leads to doubt about the conclusions made.

In contrast, genuine extrasensory awareness is usually an unthinking response to an unexpected and inexplicable 'feeling', which is impossible to consciously quantify or assess, imo. -shrug-
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:46 am

The most common way to train this I've seen requires a group setting.

Have several people sit in a circle facing outwards. Seiza seems to work better than sitting crosslegged for some reason. At least four and no more than seven or eight people are required. Blind folds and ear plugs can be helpful. Have them sit with their eyes closed and focusing on their lower dan tien.

Next, place one person in the center of the circle. Give this person a stick. Have the person with the stick randomly strike one of the people sitting in the head. A thin bamboo stick works best. It needs to hurt just not cause real damage.

Here is the interesting part. Intention on the part of the striker is important. Specifically the desire to hurt the person they are striking. The need to want to kill the other guy.

Take at least 20-30 seconds between strikes.

Filming this is always interesting. The person being attacked will frequently roll or dodge out of the way. Again intention is the part you are training. If this is left out it can train the wrong sensation.

The lower dan tien tends to work with the innate survival mechanism of the human body. While this is generally not capable of higher level thought, it is helpful to reingrain a connection with your survival instinct. This is particularly helpful when dealing with people who are city dwellers, or the extremely intellectual, as it reinforces something they have usually failed to develop.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:56 am

That sounds hilarious, but I'd like to try it. Wanna be the whacker.

Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic