Google disappoints

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Google disappoints

Postby Muad'dib on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:30 pm

I am no longer using for anything beyond searches. I'm switching to Yahoo mail, and I've changed my home page.

Why you ask?

Last night I logged onto my homepage, for which I use iGoogle. If you haven't used it in the past, It was extremely cool, though occassionally buggy. I kept all of my news readings in tabs, and had little blurblets available, as well as some cool gadgets that saved me time, and having to paw through 50 different website and programs. Now it was different.

I had been randomly chosen by Google to participate in a beta test of their new iGoogle. The problem is that I could not opt out of it (short of stopping the use of google, which I am doing), and it was buggy. A few bugs, no problem. An ugly interface change? not such a big deal. BUT, when the update is so buggy that it allows me to read my email but not to reply to it? That's pretty much where I draw the line. I mean, seriously, WTF was google thinking when they made it so users are forced to use a "service" that sucks so bad it destroys the functionality of one of their top two real services?

Anyways, I will still use the search feature, but this involuntary update is configured in such a way that even when I am not using iGoogle, it affects my settings negatively, automatically pulling me into iGoogle when I have not signed on. It's terribly frustrating. The beta has been going on since July 18th, with no single positive feedback posted on their commenting forum, and yet they still sucked me into it.

Also, interesting article from macworld:

http://www.macworld.com/article/135196/ ... gears.html
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Re: Google disappoints

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:40 pm

It sucks, but about that article, it looks like the author is deeply involved with Microsoft. ;)
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:33 pm

Do you ever get tired of being a conspiracy theorist?
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:24 pm

Hmm - I haven't tried iGoogle, but I love Gmail, and Blogger.com (although not originally Google) is also awesome, as is Google maps.

For webpage hosting, I like something simpler, though.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:34 am

Zhong_Kui wrote:Do you ever get tired of being a conspiracy theorist?

No, not really. But honestly the article sounded like FUD to me even before I read the comments. BTW, I don't really see what this has to do with conspiracies.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:39 am

I suppose the article made more sense to me because of my friends inside the company. I'm more willing to accept the media portrayal of something when it echoes what I have heard from people I trust.

As for what it has to do with conspiracies...
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:54 am

Zhong_Kui wrote:I suppose the article made more sense to me because of my friends inside the company. I'm more willing to accept the media portrayal of something when it echoes what I have heard from people I trust.

As for what it has to do with conspiracies...

I don't have any friends inside the company, so I don't know about that.

When I said that the dude was making a living by writing about M$, I did not necessarily meant that he was hired by M$ to spread FUD. Very often programmers and tech people are just as fanatic about a given platform as martial artists are fanatic about a given style.

I thought that he may not be objective.
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic