Get Sarah: How Smear Politics Works

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Get Sarah: How Smear Politics Works

Postby klonk on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:08 pm

From Newsweek (http://www.newsweek.com/id/157986)

Sliming Palin
False Internet claims and rumors fly about McCain's running mate.

Brooks Jackson, Jess Henig, Emi Kolawole, Joe Miller and Lori Robertson
factcheck.org
Updated: 6:55 PM ET Sep 8, 2008
Summary
We've been flooded for the past few days with queries about dubious Internet postings and mass e-mail messages making claims about McCain's running mate, Gov. Palin. We find that many are completely false, or misleading.

Palin did not cut funding for special needs education in Alaska by 62 percent. She didn't cut it at all. In fact, she tripled per-pupil funding over just three years.

She did not demand that books be banned from the Wasilla library. Some of the books on a widely circulated list were not even in print at the time. The librarian has said Palin asked a "What if?" question, but the librarian continued in her job through most of Palin's first term.

She was never a member of the Alaskan Independence Party, a group that wants Alaskans to vote on whether they wish to secede from the United States. She's been registered as a Republican since May 1982.

Palin never endorsed or supported Pat Buchanan for president. She once wore a Buchanan button as a "courtesy" when he visited Wasilla, but shortly afterward she was appointed to co-chair of the campaign of Steve Forbes in the state.

Palin has not pushed for teaching creationism in Alaska's schools. She has said that students should be allowed to "debate both sides" of the evolution question, but she also said creationism "doesn't have to be part of the curriculum." [...]

From The Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122098190668515511.html?mod=opinion_journal_political_diary)

JOHN FUND ON THE TRAIL

The Hunt for Sarah October
City slickers invade Wasilla
September 9, 2008

Democrats understand Sarah Palin is a formidable political force who has upset the Obama victory plan. The latest Washington Post/ABC Poll shows John McCain taking a 12-point lead over Barack Obama among white women, a reversal of Mr. Obama's eight-point lead last month.

It's no surprise, then, that Democrats have airdropped a mini-army of 30 lawyers, investigators and opposition researchers into Anchorage, the state capital Juneau and Mrs. Palin's hometown of Wasilla to dig into her record and background. My sources report the first wave arrived in Anchorage less than 24 hours after John McCain selected her on August 29.

The main area of interest to the Democratic SWAT team is Mrs. Palin's dismissal in July of her public safety commissioner. Mrs. Palin says he was fired for cause. Her critics claim he was fired because he wouldn't bend to pressure to get rid of a state trooper, Mike Wooten, who had been involved in a bitter divorce battle with Mrs. Palin's sister. Mr. Wooten is certainly a colorful character. He served a five-day suspension after the Palin family filed a complaint against him alleging he had threatened Mrs. Palin's father. They also accused him of using a Taser on his 10-year-old stepson, drinking in his patrol car and illegally shooting a moose.

Mrs. Palin will return to Alaska for the first time in nearly two weeks on Wednesday night, when she is scheduled to arrive in Fairbanks. Local Republicans will hold a "Welcome Home" rally for her. You can bet some of the Democratic opposition research contingent will be in the audience taking notes. They'll be the ones arriving in rental cars and wearing fancy dress shoes from back east.

-- John Fund

And it goes on and on. I have no objection to honest scrutiny. After all, we are talking about handing Sarah Palin a very significant job. So looking at how she conducts herself as a public official is certainly within bounds and so, I would say, are questions looking at what sort of person she is and how she conducts her personal life.

What I am seeing, though, seems more like Democrat desperation, grasping at anything that can be twisted into a supposed negative. They seem to think if they throw enough dung, something might stick. Instead, though, the people involved in the effort simply identify themselves as dung throwers.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Get Sarah: How Smear Politics Works

Postby dragontigerpalm on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:13 pm

or pro-Palin spin on anything questionable about her behavior or beliefs
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby klonk on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:24 pm

I give Obama the benefit of the doubt on questionable charges brought against him. Fair is fair.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:33 pm

Well, these tactics have been used by the right wing in the last two previous campaigns, from what I remember. Even here, the right wing is more likely to use these methods, which speaks a lot for their mentality and what they'll do once in power.

ph34r t3h H4r93R
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:52 pm

Huh?
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:09 pm

klonk, you haven't mentioned about what she is currently under investigation for.

you've listed a few things, but what about the actual factual stuff.

I have no idea why you think this person is a good candidate based solely off the stance of the republican party over the last 16 years.
It's like an about face on all the moral and ethical stuff and now it's just an in your face "we'll do what we like and screw the rest" kind of attitude that is put forth.

the whole Republican campaign is pure weirdness and quite odd to what I would think would be a lot of people.
I mean, even here in a geographically diverse and politically diverse forum, there are only the few of you who support this weirdness and it is the same predictable few who also support the Bush administration...unless they've done something so transparently boneheaded (as per usual).

It's amusing and amazing and bemusing all at the same time. You guys sound like angry old curmudgeons who would give their right nut for the right to not be a part opf a society but rather just have the access to use it and inflict your views upon it. remarkable.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:42 pm

[quote="Darth Rock&Roll"]klonk, you haven't mentioned about what she is currently under investigation for.
[...]
[quote]

Au contraire, the matter being investigated is touched upon in the WSJ piece. Actually it doesn't look like much of an investigation to me, some of her political enemies in Alaska have trumped up a charge. I don't expect it to have legs. I mentioned it in a previous post.

As to why posts on EF tend to run to the leftward, it's something I've wondered about myself. There are several possibilities, one of which is the greater availability of CMA in coastal cities such as SF and NY, liberal enclaves, and the unlikelihood fo finding Bagua in Dubuque. But actually, I don't know.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:18 pm

Leftward tendency? Where? ;D

Actually, I think EF is pretty well-balanced with a bunch of extreme rightists, a few extreme leftists, and a handful of reasonable people (like me!).

The average intelligence here does seem a bit higher than that of other forums, though. Too much zeal for a particular political party seems to be a problem of sense as opposed to intelligence, though (not talking about anyone specifically).

It is true that you will probably not find (good) baguazhang classes in the southern or central US, though.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:37 pm

So Palin's doing the, "It wasn't me."

That's hilarious.

Btw, what's up with her allowing people in Alaska to fly around and shoot animals? If you're hunting and you're going to the eat the animal that's one thing but flying around just shooting animals? Come on now.

Even when I was in the fourth grade shooting my BB gun and everything and anything I never would have thought of doing something that cruel.
CaliG

Postby klonk on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:58 am

I don't want to confuse you with the facts, since you seem to get on so well without them, but the Alaska aerial hunting thing is aimed only at predator control--wolves. It is controversial, but a part of their system of wildlife management. If you care to explain to them how you know more about Alaskan wildlife, I'm sure they will be glad to learn how you control wolves in California.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9804E4D71138F93AA25755C0A9659C8B63&fta=y

National Briefing | Northwest: Alaska: Hunting From Planes Is Allowed

By MATTHEW PREUSCH (NYT)
Published: June 19, 2003
Gov. Frank H. Murkowski signed a bill that will allow hunters to shoot wolves from helicopters or planes. John Manly, a spokesman for the governor, a Republican, said predator populations had increased, creating a need for aerial hunting in some areas. The governor originally opposed the bill, fearing that it granted the Game Board too much discretion in granting permits, but he was satisfied with the final version, Mr. Manly said. Matthew Preusch (NYT)

klonk
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic