Jumping Rope?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Jumping Rope?

Postby ParryPerson on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:55 pm

I was wondering what you guys thought about it, highly effective in calorie burning and I picked up a nice speed rope today, but I got to thinking.

In class we do stretches for the spine, would jumping rope be counter productive to this? You mainly stay on the balls of the feet, but with all the jumping up and down...

I don't have a lot of knowledge yet when it comes to the body.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Re: Jumping Rope?

Postby Steve James on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:15 pm

One of the best exercises you can do. Ideally, you don't want to jump too high, so you don't strain your knees and ankles. Actually, you don't even need a rope; but, the rope gives you the coordination practice.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby C-Hopkins on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:17 pm

Running,Cycling,jump roping.

Alternate the three, and you're the shizzle my nizzle.
C-Hopkins
Huajing

Postby CaliG on Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:47 pm

I jump on a mat.

I used to jog long ago but it was hard on my knees, but jumping on a judo mat is no problem.
CaliG

Postby baguamen22 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:19 pm

An awesome cardiovascular exercise which will probably get you in better shape than most other forms of aerobic exercise.

As for learning about the human body, well it's time you learned about your body:

http://www.getbodysmart.com/

http://www.hper.txstate.edu/hper/faculty/pankey/5309/4325tut/index.html
baguamen22
Santi

Postby MikeC on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:37 pm

It's good for ya.
MikeC

Postby CaliG on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:43 pm

Yeah it is...the best part about it is that you can train more and train longer when you jump rope.

You can find a DVD series on amazon for next to nothing called rope sport. I got them all but I haven't watch anything but the basic, there's a lot on these.
CaliG

Postby ParryPerson on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:36 am

I forgot I have poor shoes for this, guess I'll need something with some support. Somehow I don't think the chuck taylors are going to work out.
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby dragontigerpalm on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:03 am

ParryPerson wrote:I forgot I have poor shoes for this, guess I'll need something with some support. Somehow I don't think the chuck taylors are going to work out.

I don't see any reason why you would need shoes with support for jump rope work. Generally one uses a light unidirectional springy step which involves no pounding or torque of the feet.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:33 am

jumping rope is awesome. use a good rope with the ball bearings. check out http://www.buddyleejumpropes.com/ he came to our school and did a demo. he is a Olympic class wrestler that teaches many Olympic teams to cross train with the rope. be sure not to jump on concrete it will kill your knees.

Rope training for Boxing, Wresting, Martial Arts

A. Developmental focus of rope jumping.

1. Develop hand and for speed for punching, blocking, throwing, feinting and leg sweeping movement in offensive and defensive takedown and ground attacks.
2. Imporve strength development of hip flexors, legs, knees, ankles and feet for kicking and balance while throwing, hooking legs and doing sweeps.
3. developes anaerobic energy for for matching the high intensity of 3 minute rounds of nonstop fighting and aerobic energy for 12 rounds.
4. develop eye, hand, foot coordination for proper awareness during landing, punching, kicking, forearm and knee strikes.
5. develop good balance and agility in reacting to punches, kicks, takedowns, and throws.
6. develop muscular endurance of the arms, chest and back for grappling, pulling, punching,blocking, and throwing

Basic sprint program- with the high step and side swing techniques to jump.

Training routine

1. perform alternate foot step for 30 sec.
2. Rest 30 sec.
3. repeat 5 times
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
neijia_boxer

Postby ParryPerson on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks for all the posts guys, and this is odd, but I don't know what else it could be.

Right after I jump rope for even a short amount of time, the ankle in which I have been having problems with, the weird "funny bone" type pain, just went away.

I still feel the tightness, but the pain I would get from turning my ankle a certain way has gone. I had this weird pain since I started mud stepping (has not been that long, made it worse by ignoring it and not giving it time to heal) but the odd feeling just vanished I'm sitting here in disbelief turning my ankle full circle without pain.

How is this possible? Does the shock on the ankle make it right? Did I work out some muscle near that pain that made it feel better?

I am really at a loss.
ParryPerson
Anjing

Return to Off the Topic