Shocknife training blade

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Shocknife training blade

Postby Bill on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:25 pm

Check out this new idea in knife training. An electrified blade, 7,500 v shock from a 9 v battery.

http://www.shocknife.com/about.html

ought to keep you on your toes !
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: Shocknife training blade

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:32 pm

Yeah, it is nice. It's been a while though that it is out. I would love to get a set of 2, for training.

There another, similar concept, with a blade that vibrates instead of giving electric shocks. The possibilities are limitless with that one.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby strawdog on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:40 pm

Eh, it just makes a scary sound. I fought with it the in the last DB Gathering. It's hype and doesn't hurt at all.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:52 pm

Which one, the shock knife or the vibrating one?
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby strawdog on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:55 pm

shock knife. I felt no shock. It looks intimidating and good for the crowd watching, but it's absolutely useless for what they advertise.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:58 pm

Cool! Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know, so I won't fork out a few hundred dollars for it.
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby strawdog on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:07 pm

Training properly is a state of mind. It's not something that can be replaced by buying a gadget, IMO.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:20 pm

True. But sometimes gadgets can be fun and boost the motivation. I am a gadget-loving guy.
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks Strawdog. I was hoping you'd share your opinion.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Royal Dragon on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:33 pm

Nothing beats a couple 8 year olds with markers.
Royal Dragon
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:02 am

Royal Dragon wrote:Nothing beats a couple 8 year olds with markers.

Well, not to sound too cocky, but I am failry certain that *I* can beat quite a bunch of 8 year olds with markers or not. Empty handed too! :P
Last edited by Darthwing Teorist on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:23 pm

Markers are the cheapest and safest way to tell if you are getting hit.

I haven't heard anything about the shockknife except that it is available and had some positive reviews from LEO's who were using it.

If the charge is improper, it will not function properly, also, if you are wearing a gi, you won't feel much either. ON bare skin, you will get zapped and it will make you aware of the blade, but, markers function just as well to show you where all your leaks are.

actual weapon use in training is ok for solo stuff and fairly dangerous for actual tactical training or far to rehearsed for safety reasons.

a rubber knife rubbed on an ink pad functions pretty good and shows results and you can go haywire with it like you would with a real blade as opposed to the "ok frankenstein entered the room with a big knife over his head and is now stabbing at you at 3 miles per hour, what do you do?" kind of scenarios taht are all to often par for the course. lol
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:33 pm

Well, the advantage of the shockknife vs markers, the way I understand it, is that the feedback is supposed to be immediate as opposite to checking yourself afterwards to see the marks. This way you get instant feedback for good or back performances. Now, if you don't feel it, there is not much use for it, except maybe teaching respect for the knife to those who don't have it still.

Dave has a point here: Meynard, do you know if that the knife you were using was properly charged?

Regarding actual weapons, we used them in class solo and with partners but we were doing slow and careful work and most of us may be prone to errors when going full speed. (I did manage to stab myself in the hand once when fooling around with a friend.)
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby strawdog on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:40 pm

The shock knife we used in the last DB Gathering had fresh batteries. I was the first one to fight using the shock knife that day. The battery runs our really fast if you hold on to the zap button too long. I didn't feel a single zap on my skin. I've watched people stick each other with fully charged shock knives and they don't feel a thing. They say it just tingles a little.

It looks intimidating at first because you see the blue electrical sparks and it makes buzzing sound.

Again, I did not feel any zap on my skin. However, I don't think the knife even touched me the whole time. I know I touched my opponent with it a couple of times, but he just kept on fighting. The shock knife is just a toy, IMO. It's a nice conversation piece and it makes people think you're really hardcore. Hype, that's all.

A semi blunted aluminium trainer on the other hand is something else. You could get f'ed up with one of those if you're not careful.
strawdog
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic