Ban The Beard

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Ban The Beard

Postby klonk on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:28 pm

"I'm not the perfect Jew," is how Chasin, a 40-year-old Fire Department paramedic from Virginia, puts it. But he has always strongly identified as one, and used outward symbols to reinforce the point, including the Star of David pendant that hangs around his neck and the full, brown beard that has graced his face for the past two decades.

"The beard is my way of celebrating and practicing," he explains. "The beard is making up for some of the stuff I don't do."

So when Chasin was told that he would have to remove it to comply with fire department regulations, he didn't take it well.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1221745566038&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FPrinter
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Ban The Beard

Postby Harvey on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:04 pm

One of the last things on this planet we do better than women and they try to ban it, preposterous
Feck You You Feckin Fecker
Harvey
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:06 pm

A similar thing happened in Canada with a Sheik mounted police officer.
They wanted him to remove his turban.
He took it to court and won.
Motto of the story: sometimes the government will respect your civil rights if you push hard enough :-\
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:40 pm

It was the same for afros and braids at first. The stuff with turbans and other religious garb really came up after 9/11.

Then again, if he's a fire person, and is expected to go near fires at some point, it might be a safety, not style, issue. I also think that, in the states at least, your appearance is part of your uniform.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:01 pm

can you imagine having your beard catch fire? that'd suck donkey balls, for sure.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:17 pm

I believe that is "sihk" mix. Just to avoid confusion. :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:41 pm

Sikh.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:58 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:A similar thing happened in Canada with a Sheik mounted police officer.
They wanted him to remove his turban.
He took it to court and won.
Motto of the story: sometimes the government will respect your civil rights if you push hard enough :-\

...if you live in places like the US or Canada.

Facial hair is generally not allowed in most companies in Japan (although you may succeed in using beams of "gaijin power" to subdue them anyway).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Father_Jon on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:27 pm

Tom's point is well taken, but actually beards reduce the risk of facial skin burns. Hair tends to smolder rather than burn so if you catch an ember in the face, the reek of burning keratin should alert you that something is amiss before you need to reach for the aloe. I speak from experience, horrible, drunken experience.
Father_Jon
Santi

Postby qiphlow on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:50 pm

edededed wrote: beams of "gaijin power"

is that anything like the beams of power that ultraman used to shoot out of the blade of his hand?
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:59 pm

Yes, but it comes from the beard area and is most effective against Asians. We can also use the "gaijin smash!" move which is a lot like "Hulk Smash!" (This is how I run 99% of my moves in any MA situation.)
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:41 pm

i just keep a soul patch and the japanese can kiss my ass if they don't like it. :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic