What If...

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: What If...

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:00 am

I'd buy a water purification system and as much cooking oil and rice as I could get, find a further sponsor in an airline and head to a place that desperately needs these things.

Over the course of each year, I try to contribute what I can to projects along these lines anyway.

It's a good way to spend money.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:46 am

Buy $5000.00 worth of acid and trip for a month.

j/k

I pretty much would fit the bill if I had 5k. So if anyone wants to make some Donations to the I Need A Good Time Fund, it would be greatly appreciated.

I would find out if Brazilian, or Scandinavian Women are better looking personally.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Harvey on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:52 am

A new jien, A new guitar and a new bicycle. leaving enough change to take my mates out for a pint
Feck You You Feckin Fecker
Harvey
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:56 am

Just out of curiosity to those living in Taiwan, how long would 5k hold you up in there? Couple of months?

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby C-Hopkins on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:00 am

I'd take the 5k and turn it into 10k.
C-Hopkins
Huajing

Postby Michael on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:48 am

I can't think of a damn thing I need. It's all here. Wow. Anyway, if I had the dough, I'd just blow it on some obnoxious junk from Ikea or computer stuff. Well, okay, I'd buy a water purification system for my mom's ranch house. Only thing I can think of.
Michael

Postby TaoJoannes on Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:25 pm

cerebus wrote:An RV? Wouldn't that cost at least $5,000 itself? Mainland sounds interesting, Keep it coming. What would YOU do?

You can pick up a servicable vintage winnebago around here for $500 to $1500.

Now, granted, it gets about six miles to the gallon, so the other $4500 would likely go to gas to get me to Texas, but that's a fact I'm prepared to ignore completely.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby bailewen on Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:50 pm

cerebus wrote:So, to add some fun (but hopefully serious) fantasizing to "The Flowah".... What If.... you're young, athletic, good-looking, single, no kids, no debt, no responsibilities, and you suddenly have $5,000 to do with as you will. No ties holding you in place, no one you need to give the money to, no one to take care of but yourself.... what do you do from there? You can go anywhere, learn or do anything that $5,000 wil pay for. What do ya do?

BTDT. . . literally.

I got some cash from my Grandma. I quit my job, gave notice on my apartment, put my things in storage or just threw them away and moved to China.

Back in 2000, 5 grand could keep you going reasonably comfortably in Xi'an for about a year.

Anyways, this question is entirely NOT theoretical for me. It's almost exactly what I did.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:05 pm

Cool stuff! Any more ideas? I was thinking of a few recently.

Travel to Indonesia and train Silat in the jungle for as long as I could, living in a village, sharing in the village work and labor to pay for training, food & lodging.

Fund the training and travel required for the next couple of USKSF Lei Tai Championships (Northern United States Regional Championship in May, International Championship in July).

Continue as I'm doing where I am, but use the money to fund training in an art and with an instructor that I'm interested in training with.

Travel across the US on my motorcycle, visiting top Kung Fu masters along the way. Take notes & photos, write a book afterwards.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:33 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:I'd buy a water purification system and as much cooking oil and rice as I could get, find a further sponsor in an airline and head to a place that desperately needs these things.

Over the course of each year, I try to contribute what I can to projects along these lines anyway.

It's a good way to spend money.

Grab Steve too and on the way back you guys should make a stop in Montreal for a weekend. ;)
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:36 pm

Cerebus, I like Darth's idea. For something more selfish, I may use the money to get a piloting license. Maybe buy a small plane or a motorglider.

Of course, with a small plane, I can fly Darth to his destination of choice to deliver the water purification system, the rice and the cooking oil...
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:42 pm

Bär
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:40 pm

deus, 5 grand worth of good acid will keep you high FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, not just a month.

personally, i'd get a shitload of some nice psilocybin mushrooms and a desolate spot in the wilderness for a little while. after that would depend on where my head was at after that little while...

but of course i'm not super athletic and single, either. i am, however, hella sexy.
;D
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:21 pm

More ideas...

Backpack through the Himalayan foothills of Nepal or Bhutan, practicing Yoga and Kung Fu with the Yetis.

Hitchhike across the US.

Visit Felipe in the DR, drink rum, flirt with hot chicks and practice LOTS of Hsing-I. ;D
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby bigphatwong on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:42 am

If it were me, I'd do what the Hawaiians do...get yourself a VW van (you can fit a mattress in there if you remove the back seats) with a surfboard rack on it, and bum it for while. Work odd jobs and whatnot, just do what you need to do to get by. If it comes down to it, you could always Shit, Shave & Shower at Burger King if you need to again.

It' s not a glamorous lifestyle, but an interesting one nonetheless. :)
Last edited by bigphatwong on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic