tone of posts

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

tone of posts

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:26 am

While reading some posts on the main board I had an epiphany. I realized that for different people, I read their posts in different ways. I also realized that I tend to respect some people's opinions more than others. This is often related to what I consider the person's skill set to be and is also dependent both upon the way I choose to interpret their insight and the authority that they impart through their confidence in writing about how their training works.
I realized that reading posts like that has a kind of fallacy. I should in fact by trying to read against posts and analyzing them, as opposed to just taking people's insights based on how much I respect them.

In my mind, everyone has a different tone that I've attached to them subconsciously. Its interesting because I doubt the tones I have assigned to them in my mind are very close to what they are actually like as people.

Just thought I would share that, since it seemed kind of interesting to think about assumptions people make based on limited experience with others.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Re: tone of posts

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:17 pm

That's preconception for ya. Probably we are all "guilty" of it. As long as you're aware of it, you can still find some use for it: for me it mainly helps filter the endless posts here or on Cyberkwoon. Otherwise, you have to read everything extracareful and that requires a lot of time and energy.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:15 pm

Man, do you ever stop whining, Mix?

I keed, I keed.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:28 pm

TaoJoannes wrote:Man, do you ever stop whining, Mix?

I keed, I keed.

Do you ever stop wanting to live?

I hope you do.

J/K of course.... ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:42 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:
TaoJoannes wrote:Man, do you ever stop whining, Mix?

I keed, I keed.

Do you ever stop wanting to live?

I hope you do.

J/K of course.... ;D

Sometimes.... sniffle.

I'm so emo my tears cut themselves.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Ian on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:09 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:While reading some posts on the main board I had an epiphany. I realized that for different people, I read their posts in different ways. I also realized that I tend to respect some people's opinions more than others. This is often related to what I consider the person's skill set to be and is also dependent both upon the way I choose to interpret their insight and the authority that they impart through their confidence in writing about how their training works.
I realized that reading posts like that has a kind of fallacy. I should in fact by trying to read against posts and analyzing them, as opposed to just taking people's insights based on how much I respect them.

In my mind, everyone has a different tone that I've attached to them subconsciously. Its interesting because I doubt the tones I have assigned to them in my mind are very close to what they are actually like as people.

Just thought I would share that, since it seemed kind of interesting to think about assumptions people make based on limited experience with others.

Everyone uses cognitive filters to make split-second decisions about whom to trust, befriend, or sex up.

I'm pretty sure it takes longer online - at least five posts or so - as we don't have access to all important body language and voice tone cues, but if we make up our minds that this guy's a loser, everything he does will be perceived as negative, and vice versa.

I'm guilty of this, too.
Ian

Return to Off the Topic