Food Again

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Food Again

Postby Leimeng on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:07 pm

~ Here are two more recipes I would like to offer everyone. Both are very simple and quite tasty.
Olive Fried Rice

Not your normal fried rice but I am led to believe that something very similar to this is made in Thailand. (They get the olives from China).
Stuff:
6 tbs or more of cooking oil.
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
1 lb drained olives, pitted. (Use Chinese olives, or kalamata or french style olives if possible, you will not get the right flavor using canned black or green spanish olives.)
1 lb or so of ground pork or ground chicken
3 tbs peanut butter or cashew butter
6 cups of cooked, fluffed, warm rice
Fish sauce to taste.
Method:
1) Into hot wok or other pan; add oil and wait until it hot
2) Add garlic and shallot and stir quickly for a minute or so
3) Add olives and stir for a minute or so
4) Add ground meat and stir for a few minutes making sure that the meat is all broken up and the excess liquid is from the meat and olives is gone
5) Add peanut/cashew butter and stir so that it completely coates the other ingredients.
6) Add rice gradually and stir well to incorporate with olives and meat
7) Keep over medium high heat until the rice starts to brown slightly
8) Add a few dashes of fish sauce to taste; mix well; turn off heat
Serve with cucumbers and fresh tomatoes on the side. It is a great dish to serve with lamb skewers, chicken satay, Vietnamese style pork etc...

AND for sake of contrast and because it is what my taste buds want...

Carrot Cake

Stuff:
3 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white or turbinado sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
1 cup raisins

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8x12 inch pan.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour mixture and mix well.
4. In a medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, coconut, walnuts, pineapple and raisins.
5. Using a large wooden spoon or a very heavy whisk, add carrot mixture to batter and fold in well.
6. Pour into prepared 8x12 inch pan, and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour. Check with toothpick.
7. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.

Frosted with 16 oz. cream cheese, 1 stick butter, 1 teaspoon each of almond and vanilla extracts and 32 oz. powdered sugar sifted

~ I have been wondering from time to time about what sort of Chinese/Korean herbs I could add to the Carrot cake that would not subtract from flavor but add some more health aspects to such. Suggestions and thoughts?
~ Let me know if you try these. I would like positive feedback.

~ Feel free to add some of your most recent creations as well.

~ Continue to discuss amongst yourselves...

Peace,

Leimeng

Flatulo Ergo Sum ~~~

~ Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

(***Insert Personal One Liner Here***)
Leimeng
Huajing

Return to Off the Topic