Lloyd Irvin and family - Home Invasion victims

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Lloyd Irvin and family - Home Invasion victims

Postby Bill on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:01 pm

Peep the story http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/10/6/62 ... -exclusive:

Speaking exclusive to BloodyElbow.com, world champion grappler Lloyd Irvin said his home in Accokeek, Maryland was invaded by two armed gunman on Saturday morning at approximately 4:30am.

According to Irvin, the two gunman held Irvin, his son, wife and UFC light heavyweight contender Brandon Vera at gun point while demanding to be directed towards valuables like cash or jewelry.

While one gunman held Irvin's family hostage, another gunman directed Irvin to the the master bedroom. According to Irvin, he led the gunman toward his bedroom. Once in the bedroom, Irvin said he noticed the other gunman was far enough away down the hall to make a move to disarm the attacker in his bedroom. Irvin, an expert in Sambo defensive gun and knife techniques, was able to get ahold of the gun in the attacker's hands, first separating the clip from the gun and then removing the gun from the attacker's hands.

At that point, the attacker in Irvin's room ran yelling to his accomplice that Irvin had his gun and both gunman fled the house. It's not clear what, if anything, they were able to take with them. Police were called to the scene and have launched an investigation.

According to Irvin, no one in his family was physically hurt, although the psychological trauma at this point is considerable.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

Holy Crap, that's taking quite a chance with your family.
Last edited by Bill on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: Lloyd Irvin and family - Home Invasion victims

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:45 pm

It depends on the situation and the reasons why he acted this way. Did he try to save his valuables or was he concerned that things may have gotten worse?

It is wise to cooperate with the robber. But that is not an iron rule. In case of a home robbery, things may escalate even if you cooperate. Once a criminal has you in a place where he can take his time (your home or a secondary crime scene) he can do anything he wants. He may be a psycho, you don't know or he may give in to his predatory instincts. There are many robbery victims that are tied up then beaten, abused or even worse.

I was always taught to think about these things before hand, in case that they may happen to me (however unlikely, there still is a possibility: I had a break in two years ago, luckily no one was home and the alarm system came on instantly). You don't have time to hesitate when they happen. For example, my teacher always told us that when a criminal is trying to move you to a secondary crime scene (put you in a car, bring you in a dark and lonely alley or park, another room etc) it is time to seriously consider taking you chances to defend yourself.

Rory Miller, a friend of mine whose skill I can attest (he was a CERT guy, now teaching in Iraq), says in "Mediations of Violence" that he would act by running away, getting a hold of the weapon or beating the threat, if someone threatened his family and he had an opportunity to do so.

He goes even further, with a scenario that is VERY hard to imagine for those of us who are parents: if the threat is tying up your family and you have the opportunity to run away, you should do so even if he threatened to kill them. His argument is that what he can do to them in a few minutes before he has to flee is nothing compared to what he can do to them if he can take a few hours.

Of course, once again these are not universal rules, they all depend on context. But sometimes, hesitating may prove fatal by missing an opportunity to turn the tables.

I am glad that Irving managed to defend himself. It is hard to judge the context of his actions without being there. Would I have done the same? I don't know, it depends on a lot of variables.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:19 pm

holy shit! i cant believe i found this here! I know Lloyd personally and I've done body work for him and his wife and hooked them up with Thai massage pros. Yes he is a rich dude and I am glad nobody got hurt and i think its awesome he kicked ass. scary
neijia_boxer

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:58 pm

I can't find the story anywhere else but at that place.
Just a bit skeptical here, but open should the story be picked up elsewhere and confirmed by other sources.

odd that there were no police called to the scene and the followin was about continued training and for us not to doubt his weapon disarming skills?

Just seems weird.
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:34 pm

I think Teo's right. For a home invasion I'd be looking for any opportunity to fight back or get away.
Michael

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:15 am

i don't think any of us knows exactly how we'd react with a gun in our face and another in our wife's or childrens face.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:11 am

I dunno....can a home invasion happen on a Greyhound in Manitoba? 'Cause then I'd definitely be certain.
Michael

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:10 am

people practically stampeded over each other to get off that bus.
It was th driver and another guy who kept the guy locked in the bus.
No one "dealt" with it at all, it happened and the bystanders let it go on after the initial assault.

I still haven't seen anything official on this home invasion thing.
it reads like a speedman advertisement.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:13 am

I just yanked your chain. ;D I mean somebody's gotta do it after recent, a-hem, exclusionary developments. lol
Michael

Return to Off the Topic