Sound Off: Where The Military's Rhythm Came From

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Sound Off: Where The Military's Rhythm Came From

Postby Trip on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:14 pm

shawnsegler wrote:So no "I don't know but I've been told...Eskimo Pussy is mighty cold" before WWII.

Don't tell anybody but the juvenile within that runs my life, squeals he-he. ;D
Trip
Wuji

Postby klonk on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:49 pm

I had not heard about the "Joe the Grinder," for we underprivileged folks of uncolor simply heard an effeminate name for a man ("Jody") and presumed him 4F. With lots of money, because he had a deferment, but I suppose it comes down to the same thing.
Last edited by klonk on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:35 pm

This is my rifle, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this one's for fun.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:19 pm

Here's another example:
Duckworth would have been familiar with the tradition. Of course, many of these things become general American traditions. For example, many of them became part of prison culture. In this example, it's clear why the songs help coordination.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:34 pm

klonk wrote:I had not heard about the "Joe the Grinder," for we underprivileged folks of uncolor simply heard an effeminate name for a man ("Jody") and presumed him 4F. With lots of money, because he had a deferment, but I suppose it comes down to the same thing.

:) "Joe the grinder, he's a sweet spot finder", is the way one of his songs goes. But, yep, he's just the guy who sneaks in while you're away. I'm sure you've heard of a "back door Johnny." It's the same idea. "I don't know, but I've been told. Jody's got your gal and gone." Sound off.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:49 pm

When I was in elementary school, we had a music class on military jodies. But they were all "suitable for work/school." ;)
"Jody" was the character often used in the chants - the guy who was back home, doing whatever with your girlfriend or wife - but we were told that it also became slang for the cadence and rhymes themselves.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Check out this from about 2:20 (Joe the Grinder). It's a blues turned into rock and roll (which, btw, is old timer slang for sex :)).
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:12 pm

Here's an interesting article with several examples http://www.nodepression.com/profiles/blogs/who-is-jody
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:47 pm

long history, lots of soul
windwalker
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:20 pm

D_Glenn wrote:This is my rifle, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this one's for fun.

On the rifle range at Pendleton, we used to arrange ditties with that statement aka meme. as they say today.
Suzy Rotten Cr%tch would be proud ;D pray tell!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Trip on Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:40 am

Willie Duckworth definitely deserves credit. I am guessing it might have been tough in 1944 for African American soldiers to get credit for anything.

But, maybe some credit should also be given to that anonymous person who heard the song and recognized its utility, and championed Duckworth’s song to others. I’m also guessing, in that era, it might have been unusual for someone to champion an African American in the military. When they mentioned it, did they get a "what you talking about" stare?

Mr. Anonymous could have just as easily claimed the song as his. Instead, credit went where credit was do: he gave Duckworth his worth. If you consider this is an era before the civil rights movement: you could argue Mr. Anonymous was ahead of his time.

Actually, giving Duckworth credit and support, seemed to have passed from one person to the next all the way up the chain of command. I don't know how smoothly, but it happened. Without those anonymous people, soldiers, and commanding officers “sounding off” themselves, or at least giving a slight nod of approval to a black soldier in 1944, Sound-Off might not have ever been what it is today. It may have just remained a traditional work song.

No facts; just speculations. I just hope it was a positive experience for all involved.
Trip
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:22 am

I'm pretty sure it was never authorized. It was just copied. Fewer people knew its origin then than now. But, Duckworth may have gotten the idea from someone else. Also, in the segregated army, the chant must have been called by all-Black units and later imitated by others. But, afa credit, getting it for this is trivial compared to the credit the men in combat deserved but didn't get because of segregation.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:03 am

goddamn
jimmy
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:22 am

Duckworth? I wonder if there's any relation to Kendrick Lamar
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|