Film Recommendations

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Film Recommendations

Postby Mut on Wed May 21, 2008 12:27 am

bad boy bubby....very disturbing, great film. on another note meet the feebles (peter jackson) is great... best sex scene eve... between a walrus and a cat....
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed May 21, 2008 7:54 am

Meet the Feebles is hilarious, but IMO, just weird and not symbolic of anything that I could pick up on. Then again, muppet sex always clouds the higher learning centers of my brain.
Michael

Postby qiphlow on Wed May 21, 2008 11:57 am

Cryptohominid wrote:Tetsuo the Ironman?

I don't know if any of those are close...

tetsuo is definitely in the strange category.

Ian wrote:^^ Some of my favorite films ever. Haven't seen Twin Peaks yet.

Edit: actually, I'd say David Lynch's films are not so much surreal as eerie, twisted, and confusing, but you can still figure them out.

twin peaks is weird as fuck. i only caught the last half-hour or so, but it was enough.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby kenneth delves on Wed May 21, 2008 5:04 pm

Touch of Evil Welles
M Lang
Lift to the scaffold[with the incomparable
kenneth delves
Great Old One

Postby emre on Wed May 21, 2008 6:20 pm

Ian wrote:I like the films by Caro and Jeunet (Delicatessen and City of Lost Children were collaboration efforts by two directors, not one).

If you like surreal comedy, you should check out Spiklenci slasti, aka Conspirators of Pleasure, by Jan Švankmajer. Being an Eastern European film from the 90s, it doesn't have the visual polish and production qualities of the Jeunet and Caro films, but it's pretty cool nevertheless.
emre
Mingjing

Postby Andy_S on Wed May 21, 2008 7:04 pm

As you may know by now, I am the last bloke who ever sees a film - and last night I caught "V For Vendetta:" Compelling stuff, a superior version of

Lots going on: Facism in Britain, issues of consensual government, personal identity....I don't really agree with the political message, but it is a good film with some great thesps. Great thesps - esp John Hurt does a brilliant English Adolf, Steven Frears is the copper - much better than Rutger Hauer in "Fatherland" (A similar plot: investigators in a fascist society looking into shadowy allegations of something nasty in the past).

Also, the closest thing I have yet seen to an English MA movie: The mysterious main character does Bagua with knives at the end.

Has two of the grimmest lines in cinema history. The investigators are looking into shadowy allegations about a secret, long-destroyed interment camp, and one asks the other:

"Why would they have so many doctors in an internment camp? And why was the priest the best paid staffer?"
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed May 21, 2008 7:35 pm

Thanks a lot, guys.

I've seen about 80% of the films listed here, but I'll check those other ones out for sure.

Cheers.
Ian

Postby kreese on Thu May 22, 2008 11:33 pm

The Machinist

For pure fun: Deathproof
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu May 22, 2008 11:38 pm

Oh yeah, totally forgot The Machinist! Great film and exactly the type of thing I'm talking about.

Deathproof sucked ass, though.
Ian

Postby Franklin on Fri May 23, 2008 9:11 am

Last edited by Franklin on Fri May 23, 2008 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Fri May 23, 2008 11:19 am

I enjoyed Deathproof ALLOT. Its just pure entertainment, nothing fancy to think about.

Im currently looking into yakuza themed movies...and trying to get my hands on Ichy The Killer. Seems to be a mix of Sin City with Tarantino.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Jed on Fri May 23, 2008 1:55 pm

Cube
Four Rooms - not really horror, but definitely surreal...
Brotherhood of the Wolf (Pacte Des Loupes) (French)
Happiness of the Katakuris - very surreal (Japanese)
Battle Royale (Japanese)
Uzumaki - live action movie based on the comic books (Japanese)
Burning Paradise (aka Rape of the Red Temple) - if Edgar Allen Poe wrote king fu movies, this would be it...
Jed
Santi

Postby qiphlow on Fri May 23, 2008 9:27 pm

Jed wrote:Cube

ah, yes! that, and it's sequel, were good. surprisingly good. the 3rd one sucked, however.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Fri May 23, 2008 9:48 pm

Cube. Yeah, that was an odd one. "Brotherhood of the Wolf" was fun, as long as you don't get too hung up on the historical inaccuracies (it was "loosely" based on actual events, with which I've been familiar since I was a kid, but it takes quite a bit of "artistic license" with those events, even though the real story was even stranger and more fascinating).
Last edited by cerebus on Fri May 23, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Snow on Fri May 23, 2008 10:13 pm

Not exactly in the style you're looking for maybe, but Melville's "Le Samourai" with Alain Delon as a hitman really hits a mood.
Snow
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic