Police brutality?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Police brutality in New York?

Postby windwalker on Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:46 pm

from looking at some of their training it seems that much of what we see is what they train to do.
I must admit that some of it surprised me, but coming from their perspective its probably things that they have tested
and have come to rely on in high stress situations.

pepper spay, tazers are not 100% effective and carry their own risk.
the H2H stuff they teach did surprised me in that it seemed to carry many elements of IMA in it.

IMO they'er in a no win situation, with many in the US apparently not really understanding their rights under the law.
our press from my POV is really out of control seeming to make the news instead of
being witness to it and reporting it.

dont know if its something new, maybe I never paid much attention to it, or maybe its the new generation at work.

lets hope things get better.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:49 am

Fr. James Martin, SJ
December 4 at 9:37am · Edited ·

You can support our country's police officers, as I do. I know a few police officers personally (as well as a former police officer) and I deeply admire them for putting their lives on the lines every day, something that I do not do. (Remember the police officers who sacrificed their lives, or who were ready to sacrifice their lives, on 9/11.) You can believe that the vast majority of law-enforcement officials are trying to do their best in often extremely complicated situations. I see that almost every day in the streets and subways of New York City. You can appreciate the sometimes nearly impossible challenges of dealing with the volatile and dangerous people they must encounter. I see that too almost every day in New York. And you can understand that many of their decisions must be made in a split second, under the kind of pressure that few of us will ever know.

You can think all those things and still be appalled by the death of Eric Garner, who died after being subdued by police officers on Staten Island. His fatal confrontation with police was captured on video and has been widely viewed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ka4oKu1jo

At the beginning of the video, Mr. Garner seems belligerent. On the other hand, he had, according to witnesses, just broken up a fight on the street, so perhaps he was still tense as a result. He was also under suspicion for selling "loosies," loose cigarettes, which is illegal. But Mr. Garner was also unarmed, and the chokehold or "vascular neck restraint" (or whatever one calls the maneuver shown in the video) and other subduing techniques used by the police led to his death. "The compression of his chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police," read the coroner's cause of death. (The practice of using chokeholds is banned by the NYPD.)

As the video clearly shows, Mr. Garner, prone on the sidewalk, gasping for breath, chokes out the words, over and over, and calmly: "I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe." And then he dies. I am not embarrassed to say that the video moved me to tears. The fear in his voice is overwhelming.

You can admire police officers and still admit that they made a tragic mistake. You can support the justice system and still feel that justice has not been done . You can uphold the rule of law and still feel that the law is not being applied justly.

And if Mr. Garner had indeed just broken up a fight--being a peacemaker, as Jesus called us to be--then it is an even more brutal tragedy.

I'm not a police officer, so I don't know what that life is like. I'm not an African-American, so I don't know what that life is like either.
But when a man says, "I can't breathe," you should let him breathe. And if he dies after saying it, then you should have let him breathe.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:04 am

another "gentle giant" and now "Jesus" wow

"I'm not a police officer, so I don't know"

::) yep

this should have been at the start of his writing.
he should go out a couple of nights with an officer
and see if his feeling is the same.

At the beginning of the video, Mr. Garner seems belligerent. On the other hand, he had, according to witnesses, just broken up a fight on the street, so perhaps he was still tense as a result. He was also under suspicion for selling "loosies," loose cigarettes, which is illegal. But Mr. Garner was also unarmed, and the chokehold or "vascular neck restraint" (or whatever one calls the maneuver shown in the video) and other subduing techniques used by the police led to his death. "The compression of his chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police," read the coroner's cause of death. (The practice of using chokeholds is banned by the NYPD.)

BS, nothing he did prior was what killed him, resisting the arrest did because of his poor health, he died on the way to the hosp. in an ambulance.
He knew the drill, should have just went with it, like he did many times before.

one of the main narratives is that this directed towards "people of color"
I would tend to agree with a caveat, "high crime areas tend to have more interactions with the police"
it only seems to matter when the officer is white.

Lost in the racial outcry over the decision to not indict white police officer Daniel Pantaleo in the death of Black petty criminal Eric Garner is the key fact that the attempt to arrest Garner was overseen by a Black female police sergeant.

not really mentioned in the news nor apparently matters to the protesters, dosent
fit the narrative of the "man keeping them down"

There were actually two sergeants on the scene, and both of them gave testimony to the grand jury, which probably has a lot to do with why even the more minor charges of negligence were not handed down, along with medical testimony that Garner's bad physical condition had more to do with his death than any "choke hold." (Even that assumption is not as cut-and-dry as protesters and the media tend to believe, because among other things, you can't talk when you're in a choke hold, and Garner was talking.)

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2014 ... lack-woman

there have been other deaths with people saying the same things "i cant breath" by officers using the same methods.

bottom line, dont resist arrest.

The June 22 incident was captured on the officer’s dash-camera and shows Officer Adley Shepherd, 38, punching the 23-year-old woman, identified as Miyekko Durden-Bosley, who appears to be intoxicated and was protesting her arrest, claiming she had not made any threats against her domestic partner.

After being handcuffed and placed in the back of the patrol car, Durden-Bosley can be heard on the video saying “(expletive) you bitch,” and reportedly kicked out at Shepherd, according to a search warrant and an investigation into the incident conducted by the Washington State Patrol.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/201 ... fed-woman/

in this case both the officer, and the women are blk. not much is mentioned, the article didnt make it a central part of the story line.
the officer was not charged, it wasnt center stage on national media.
the woman a "gentle lamb" a "mother threasea" ;) was treated at one of the local hosp.

" protesting her arrest" " not this time"
must be nice to decide when or if one will be arrested.
try saying it sometime when getting a ticket, "not this time"
to the officer as you drive off.

should make a good story line ;)
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:26 am

:) Yep, makes no Christian sense at all.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dajenarit on Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:56 pm

Windwalkers mastery of coded language is just breathtaking..... -deadhorse- I wonder if you're even aware of how you sound?
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:28 pm

Dajenarit wrote:Windwalkers mastery of coded language is just breathtaking..... -deadhorse- I wonder if you're even aware of how you sound?

probably just same as you and the others. ;)

oh ya,,, the coded language, wow :o

lets see,,,, dont resist arrest
if you have health problems.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Dajenarit on Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:17 pm

Don't arrest people unnecessarily. When pigs can be trusted to do that then we'll talk.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:02 pm

Dajenarit wrote:Don't arrest people unnecessarily. When pigs can be trusted to do that then we'll talk.

sure you will

who is the the we?

"its not helping"

"no justic no peace"

"when there was 60+ shootings in Chicago, were where you ?"
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:24 pm

Dajenarit wrote:Don't arrest people unnecessarily. When pigs can be trusted to do that then we'll talk.

ok, maybe, maybe your right

in this case what would you have done?
was it unnecessary?
did the officer lie?

Sgt. Trent Crump said the shooting in Phoenix happened after an officer responded Tuesday to reports of someone selling drugs out of a Cadillac SUV. The officer ordered Brisbon, the sole occupant, to show his hands.

Authorities say Brisbon ran inside an apartment building and then got into a struggle with the officer. Brisbon put his hand in his pocket, and when the officer grabbed the hand, he thought he felt the handle of a gun through Brisbon's pants, police said.

Police say the officer repeatedly told Brisbon to keep his hand in his pocket, then shot him twice when he didn't do so.

Brisbon was hit in the torso and later pronounced dead at the scene. Investigators recovered a semi-automatic handgun and a jar of marijuana from his SUV.

http://news.yahoo.com/phoenix-police-sh ... 04645.html

Nora Brisbon said she doesn't want people to focus on the fact her son was black.

"This had nothing to do with race," Nora Brisbon told The Arizona Republic. "This is about Rumain and the wrong that was done to him, and I want people to focus on that. If they want to rally, let's support him positively."

Despite the department's efforts to be transparent with information, protesters marched Thursday night.

"the wrong that was done to him"

does she mean like resisting arrest, we cant say whether he sold drugs or not although thats why the officer was called.

what would "we" want to talk about with the "pigs" about?
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:34 pm

Marines seek realistic training in downtown Los Angeles
by KABC – Los Angeles 2:08 mins
The Marines are bringing their training to the downtown Los Angeles area. Officials say residents shouldn't be alarmed if they see or hear military aircraft overhead.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/marines-see ... 51838.html

cool they need the training, it's only training right?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:48 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:11 am

its called a vascular neck restraint
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:55 am

windwalker wrote:

So ;), wow, finally. But, ya know, "vascular" means that instead of cutting off air, it cuts off blood. Look it up. It is safer only in that it reduces the threat of collapsing the windpipe. However, cutting off blood to the brain can induce a heart attack and death. The term "restraint" is just vague bs, imo. It's "true," but just a euphemism. And fwiw, we just call techniques of that type "strangles." Or, more technically, "constriction techniques." In this case, vascular constriction with the results seen in the video.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:56 am

windwalker wrote:

Which are banned from use in the NYPD.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:18 pm

From a news report back in July from PIX11, it was revealed that the sergeant’s name was Kizzy Adoni. Throughout the incident, she does nothing to stop the actions of Officer Pantaleo, as the man can be heard countless times in the video saying that he could not breathe.

Additionally, there is no mention of the female officer in any of the news reports, even though she was the supervising officer on the scene that day.

yep no mention of the female blk officer who was in charge.

“Pantaleo is the only NYPD member facing possible indictment. Others at the scene, including two sergeants, were offered immunity for their testimony to the grand jury.”

sweet, nice deal, probable would have been a little inconvenient to hold the "officer in charge at the scene" in charge responsible for the actions
of her officers that day..
There will be protests. But those inveighing against a racist white cop killing an innocent black man should keep in mind that Garner’s killing scene was supervised by a black NYPD sergeant.

Which doesn’t make it as black and white as some would like the world to think

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/dec ... -1.2032435

supervised by a black NYPD sergeant.

kinda helps to explain why they didnt find any charges against the "officers"
and couldnt againts the "officer" as he was acting in accordance with the
officer in charge directives.

makes sense,,,,,
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic