BREXIT

Rum, beer, women, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: BREXIT

Postby GrahamB on Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:16 am

So it looks like after 4.5 years of negotiations it's going to be an "austrialian style" no deal hard brexit, a complete failure from start to finish. Scotland is all set to break away and rejoin the EU, NI next then Wales might start thinking about it, we're already putting gun boats in the channel, so we'll probably be at war with France soon. We've ended up with a free trade area smaller than the United Kingdom. I don't think even Boris has any idea it would get this bad, or what's going to happen next. I bet he couldn't believe all the suckers (especially the great minds of RSF) who bought into it. All he wanted was to preserve his tax haven.

Anyway, while Britian is going down like the Titanic, I shall attempt to keep playing with the orchestra. See you on the other side. Or maybe not? We may not all fit in the lifeboats. Chin chin!

Last edited by GrahamB on Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If you don't become the ocean you'll be seasick every day.
Heretics podcast | The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:06 pm

Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:31 pm

We will be poorer, weaker and diminished in every way.
If you don't become the ocean you'll be seasick every day.
Heretics podcast | The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:22 pm

If you mean the EU will be poorer when the UK becomes a tax haven again for continental countries, then yes.

As for weaker, well seeing as how the Luftwaffe has less than a 25% ute rate right now, then yeah I'd say the EU is militarily screwed. Of course, there'll be plenty of wine and cheese to go around...in the EU. Maginot w(h)ine?

Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby RobB on Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:47 pm

I read a good Reddit post today laying out the increases in complexity involved in even the most basic cross-channel supply chains. Mental.
RobB
Mingjing

Postby Peacedog on Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:18 pm

That I could see being an issue, especially in light of the EU’s bizarre desire to make this whole thing punitive.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby RobB on Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:18 pm

Not sure where you're seeing 'punitive'. As far as I can see the EU looks like any long-term bunch of allies (broadest sense) trying to work out why one of their best mates has decided to go full retard - and how to limit the damage. As far as the border controls go, nothing special for us - the complexities are normal if you are working across the EU border. We have large sectors of industry that have never had to deal with this.
RobB
Mingjing

Postby Peacedog on Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:19 pm

The issue from the beginning with the EU and the UK has largely been on of punitive actions.

The EU as a free trade zone made sense. Reduce barriers to trade and the economic situation in all of the countries improves. Fair enough. That document could have been written on a single page.

The trouble started when the EU began getting themselves involved in the internal affairs of their constituent countries. The smaller countries went along with it as they really didn't have much of a choice.

Essentially what started as a free trade zone simply devolved into the continuing efforts of Germany, and France, to dominate their neighbors as has been the situation for about the last 1000 years on the continent.

The reason why a no-deal Brexit is most likely at this point is that the EU isn't negotiating with the UK. They are trying to dictate terms, still insisting on financial penalties, etc.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:36 pm

Of course! It's the Austrian-Francification of the European subcontinent!
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic