BREXIT

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: BREXIT

Postby grzegorz on Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:10 pm

It's good to stay up on all international issues because what happens there also happens here. Much as the way the British CCTV system is being used by more and more countries.

I remember Brexiters using light bulb regulations for their arguments and now sure enough we have the far right Trump supporters saying the same craziness.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:20 pm

Peacedog wrote:Likewise, has the U.K. given any guidance on visa status/residency for E.U. nationals in the event of hard BREXIT as well?

That's actually what interests me quite a bit even though I am not a Brit but none of that crap matters.

I have a lot of Brits in my life and most live in continental Europe believing that "this" could never happen.

In fact some were so proud of the EU and saw me as a silly American seeing their country as one that believed in tolerance whereas my own was a piece of shit for illegally invading Iraq. As an Iraq vet myself I understood where they were coming from but despite whatever they thought of me I do feel for them. Probably because of the principle that these people have British kids living in Europe and the fact that I don't a sh*t what people think about me. I am too busy living my life.

According to Graham they will lose some of their pension if a hard Brexit goes through and I suppose the EU will ultimately decide their fate.

Again skin in the game does not matter. I am a vet does that mean if I am anti-war it makes my opinion better than someone who is a pro-war draft dodger like Trump? Of course not.

Reason is reason. The reason I am anti-war is because it is a tool politicans use to stay in power while "we" the working class kill off another working class while Don Jr (for example) is out hunting elephants pretending to be a bad ass.

Let's not forget about what war has led to in North Korea. I once read that the US flattened every city in North Korea and look how that all worked out. It's no wonder we can't get a deal with them to end their nuclear program. Why would we?
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:56 am

Saw ‘28 day’s later’ the other night. The scenes of an empty London early on in the film and then hordes of Zombies chasing the few unsmitten....
Lucky ‘Grzegorz the remainer’ live in the US, but worse for GrahameB.....The BREXIT HORRORis near 8-)
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:27 am

Wrong film - that's a Zombie Apocalypse genre. I think we're heading for this:

Children of Men opening:

I also think most people in Britain want it that way. It's just that they'll be dead already by the time it happens :) Just look at this thread - we deserve it ;D

Also, even the Avengers are against "Incredible Boris"

Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:23 am

Peacedog wrote:Cloudz,

Your situation interests me as you have actual skin in the game.

Have the EU countries you manufacture in issued any preliminary guidance regarding what will happen in the event of a hard BREXIT?

Likewise, has the U.K. given any guidance on visa status/residency for E.U. nationals in the event of hard BREXIT as well?

Hey Peacedog,

I have manufactured ladies fashion in Romania for quite some time now. since the Referendum result I've moved into Morrocco and Sri Lanka working with a few production sites. My reliance on Romania to make my goods is not as acute as it was - and no, the Romanians have not issued any guidance, they don't really need to.

If we get a hard Brexit all our trade with any EU country is set to go to onto WTO tarrifs etc.
My company manufactured in Romania before it joined the EU - Romania didn't join the single currency either.
Have done it before; it just means more work, slightly slower imports and exports due to needing clearance etc.

Interestingly, I was on the Motorway last week and the electronic boards are flashing up notices to haulage drivers regards their paperwork and EU countries.

Regards status, yes the UK Government here has been letting us(my wife) know to apply. There is an option to apply for British Citizenship, but we're going for settled status for now. It's a bit of a pain as we have to provide evidence, it's not a problem, but the evidence is less easy to procure if one has been at leisure. My wifes been a stay at home mum to our daughter and it just happens to coincide with the years they want to check. So yea, they declined our first application asking us to send them more evidence. :P

freakin' admin eh.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Argh. Sorry to hear that George. Hope she gets it sorted.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:14 am

GrahamB wrote: even the Avengers are against "Incredible Boris"

Not fully so, the incredible CPT AMERICA is with him, that’s what counts...
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:40 am

Spot the odd one out:

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:41 am

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:09 am

Cloudz,

Thank you for your perspective.

I do have a follow-up question. As an American, the idea of living for a long time in the US and not becoming a citizen is considered odd to say the least.

So why are you aiming for settlement with your wife instead of becoming a UK subject? I understand if you don't want to discuss it here. I'm just curious as to the reasoning.

Best,

Peacedog
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:38 am

It takes up to thirty years for somebody to become an American citizen
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:56 am

People are eligible to become a citizen five years after becoming a permanent resident (i.e. green card holder).

Depending upon how they enter the US residency can happen either immediately or it might take a few years.

I am unaware of any legal entry to the US requiring 30 years to become a citizen. Even with illegal aliens, I am unaware of the process taking that long if they are in fact attempting to become legal residents.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:53 am

Hi Peacedog,

It's more a case of taking the quick and easier option for now as everything is so up in the air - just a bit.
Citizenship is a longer, drawn out and costlier affair, but I do beleive that is what my wife will do if we come out. I don't really try to influence her decisions around this, it's her call ultimately, but that seems like the right option longer term.

It's a tricky one for her as our daughter is British, there may be a possibility of her taking dual nationality / citizenship - there was a recent vote in Lithuania aparently whether they'd start allowing this. I'm not sure exactly the outcome, it's hard to keep up !
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic