BREXIT

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: BREXIT

Postby GrahamB on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:04 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:09 am

Acting out of fear is the opposite of acting out of reason. However, those who use fear as a premise equate it to reason, and it impossible to use reason against them. Those who try are simply lumped into the fear (and feared group).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:41 pm

GrahamB wrote:Everybody should watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYonSZ8 ... e=youtu.be

Thanks for sharing!

It is odd how information works these days. I used to often debate people (knowing minds are rarely changed) and have come to the realization that sometimes people who don't get any information are better off than people who do take in information because people often take in bad information.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:55 pm

It seems that there are some who are giving the Irish an "or else" to support Brexit conditions.
https://republican-news.org/current/new ... _can_.html

Anglo-Irish relations are at their worst in decades after a senior British Tory MP suggested using the possibility of food shortages in Ireland to coerce negotiators into dropping their opposition to the remilitarisation of the border area after Brexit.

A leaked British government report indicated that the economic impact on Ireland of a crash Brexit could be worse than in Britain, and that food supplies to Ireland would be heavily impacted.

More than half of the total food imported to the 26 Counties comes from Britain or the north of Ireland, and this could be cut off, it was suggested, if new trade rules are not agreed.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Hmm, the Brexit deal was rejected. https://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la ... story.html

British lawmakers on Tuesday overwhelmingly rejected Prime Minister Theresa May’s blueprint for separating from the European Union, throwing the torturous Brexit process into new chaos and setting the stage for a parliamentary vote of no confidence in her government.

The lopsided scale of the defeat, with 432 votes against and 202 in favor, came as a devastating blow to May, who has staked her political career on successfully steering Britain out of its decades-old participation in the 28-member bloc.

It was the worst parliamentary defeat for a sitting British government in nearly a century. Her backers had hoped to limit defections within her party; instead, scores of them broke ranks, leading to the crushing 230-vote margin of loss.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:54 am

We're TAKING BACK CONTROL!

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:11 am

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:17 pm

One of the best pieces of writing about Brexit I've read.

https://psmag.com/ideas/brexit-how-aust ... wn-england

"It would hardly be the first time that rich Brits have done this. The most beautiful war poetry in the English language is all about rich old men sending thousands of young people to die pointlessly because their generals were too dim to change course and too arrogant to back down, while the band pounded out the old patriotic lie to "children ardent for some desperate glory," as Wilfred Owen wrote. Dulce et decorum est, indeed. Except there'll be no monument to the millions of people whose lives will now be poorer, harder, meaner, and shorter because of this shambolic act of national self harm."

Dulce et Decorum Est
BY WILFRED OWEN

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:45 pm

Is the EU making any effort to keep Britain (or England) in?
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:04 am

I don't know how to answer that question since we're the ones trying to leave - it's not really up to them to stop us.

But like the article says, if we stopped this modern charge of the Light Brigade, asked our people again - who would presumably want to remain this time (based purely on the number of old people that have died since the last vote, and the number of young people who can now vote) we could just stop this whole thing and the EU would accept us back.

Right now the most likely outcome is looking like a no deal Brexit though. Hard not to see the parallels with World War 1.

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:49 am

And just in time, we're pulling out of the treaties with Russia that ended the cold war.

How much winning can the world handle?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:51 am

I mean, are the members of the EU actively trying to convince Britain to remain? Obviously, those who want to leave say that exiting would be an advantage for Britain. At this point, it seems that members of the EU don't feel that they would lose much. Most of the European news is about the confusion in Britain about Brexit, very little about how the EU is preparing. Iinm, the most they've said is "If you're going, just go."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:47 am

I mean, are the members of the EU actively trying to convince Britain to remain?

Many of the EU's organs and research centers are/has been situated in the UK so all of the members are busy fighting about who gets what. Brexit is great for some countries as it means the jobs goes there. Brexit could mean a lot for Sweden's pharmaceutical /medical industry for instance, so by all means, please go on. ;D
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:59 pm

Well I’m happy for you - at least you’ll get something out of our misery.

All those famous RSF Brexiters from 2016 are really fucking quiet these days I notice.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:47 pm

GrahamB wrote:Well I’m happy for you - at least you’ll get something out of our misery.

All those famous RSF Brexiters from 2016 are really fucking quiet these days I notice.

Option 1: The RSF Brexiters have completely changed their political opinion on this topic.

Option 2: They haven't changed, but don't care or didn't notice this space any longer.

Option 3: They were all arrested for mean tweets.
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic