BREXIT

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: BREXIT

Postby mrtoes on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:30 am

Shit is fucked.

We are backpacking at the moment, my (German) girlfriend is absolutely livid and doesn't want to go back to the UK as she doesn't feel welcome and anyway it's going to be much harder for someone from the EU to land a job now - she wouldn't qualify for the proposed vague "amnesty" for EU nationals due to our time out the country. I have the exact same situation with the EU (no-one from Germany is going to hire someone from another country who might need to leave or get a visa in a couple of years - even forgetting the language barrier)

I am not even from the United Kingdom, even though I am British. I am from a small island in the English Channel, though I have no wish to go back there either. London was my home for 20 years but I'm not sure it feels like it any more, and the fact that London voted in is cold comfort. We have many friends from the continent who live in London and I have heard the same story 30 times today. This situation is playing out everywhere. We are all in shock and everyone is reappraising their situation. One English friend has an Irish wife and they live in Croydon - he's just applied for Irish citizenship. The Germans are all "fuck you" and are making exit plans.

Frankly, we are absolutely furious. On a personal level this is terrible and we don't know what we will do. We have options for sure - but they are uncomfortable ones.

For those of you who got what you wanted - I sure hope it was worth it.

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:10 am

Very true about the visa thing. I was a Yankee teaching English in Poland before Poland joined the EU and after they did it was very hard to get work as an American from the "reputable" schools because they could just hire a random Brit with no experience and not have to concern themselves with fines, or breaking the law, or paying for visas that wouldn't go through. Yes, I was an illegal but before Poland joined the EU most new English teachers were that's just how it was until you could find a school to sponsor you but after the EU all that went to the EU citizens, Brits living on continent are going to feel it the most.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby David Boxen on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:43 am

We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:10 pm

Oopsah

As Britain awoke on Friday to the news that it had voted in favor of withdrawing from the European Union, voters were introduced to their new reality with a stunning admission from Nigel Farage, the pro-Brexit advocate who leads the U.K. Independence Party. Farage said that the Vote Leave campaign's signature pledge—that leaving the European Union would allow for £350 million to be spent on the U.K.'s National Health Service—was a "mistake."

Farage's mea culpa was made during an appearance on Good Morning Britain, where he was asked if he could continue supporting that promise after the campaign to extract the United Kingdom from the European Union had succeeded.

"No I can't, and I would have never made that claim," Farage said. "It was one of the mistakes I think the 'leave' campaign made"

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... as-mistake

Apologies for posting without much comment. A Brit friend sent this to me just now.

So let's take stock:

1. Nigel Farage starts the morning by retracting the £350 million claim
2. Daniel Hannan retracts the claim that leaving EU will reduce immigration
3. £100 billion wiped off the pensions, ISAs etc. invested in the FTSE
4. The pound suffers the largest currency depreciation of any currency ever
5. The Prime Minister resigns without mapping out a plan for implementing the results of the referendum

If I were a Leave voter, I would not be celebrating this morning. Sure, things might stabilise in time, but the immediate aftermath of the vote is admission that they'd been lied to & financial meltdown on a scale even pessimists did not predict. We Remainers may be in despair, but the Leavers ought to be fucking livid.

EDIT:
6. The biggest share price losses were Wimpy Taylor & Barclay Homes, at ~40%, which means the markets are expecting a housing crash
7. Apparently the pound's value dropping so much means that the UK is no longer the 5th largest economy in the world - in a nicely symbolic move, we've been overtaken by France
Last edited by Steve James on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:03 pm

This is what one of my brown friends wrote on Facebook - breaks my heart. I want MY country back not the one the hard right just created.

"What a strange day. I actually don't think much will change with the UK leaving the EU. There will be short-term economic upset (which will hurt the Leave demographic more than the Remain, ironically) but new trade deals will be made. Jobs won't be magically created and curbing immigration won't return this country to a time of cricket, cream teas and no-damn-foreigners-in-the-queue-for-the-doctor-or-supermarket-checkout. But I think it means that a lot of us who are the wrong colour feel less welcome in the UK now. Walking into the polling station yesterday, I felt as though I had a sign over my head that said "NOT WHITE, NOT BRITISH" and today's result rather re-affirms that feeling. That's what upsets me today. It was a vote against tolerance and inclusiveness. I was born in the UK and in growing up here I had to go through years of being called names - paki, wog, nigger - and fearing for my safety when I walked down the street. That feeling is back. Today I feel unwelcome in my own home."
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby chud on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:05 pm

Last edited by chud on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:27 pm

:)
Donald Trump in Scotland: 'Brexit a great thing'

US presidential hopeful Donald Trump has said it is a "great thing" that the people of the UK have "taken back their country" in voting to leave the EU.

His comments came as he arrived at Trump Turnberry for the reopening of the refurbished Open venue golf resort.

Mr Trump added his name to the Ayrshire hotel and golf course after buying the resort for an undisclosed fee in 2014.
Comedian Simon Brodkin later disrupted Mr Trump's news conference by waving golf balls with a swastika on them.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-gla ... t-36606184
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:41 pm

Funny man Trump is. First he says the Brexit is a great thing and now he's blaming Obama (as is the meme above).

So which is it?
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:31 pm

grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:44 pm

GrahamB wrote:This is what one of my brown friends wrote on Facebook - breaks my heart. I want MY country back not the one the hard right just created.

"What a strange day. I actually don't think much will change with the UK leaving the EU. There will be short-term economic upset (which will hurt the Leave demographic more than the Remain, ironically) but new trade deals will be made. Jobs won't be magically created and curbing immigration won't return this country to a time of cricket, cream teas and no-damn-foreigners-in-the-queue-for-the-doctor-or-supermarket-checkout. But I think it means that a lot of us who are the wrong colour feel less welcome in the UK now. Walking into the polling station yesterday, I felt as though I had a sign over my head that said "NOT WHITE, NOT BRITISH" and today's result rather re-affirms that feeling. That's what upsets me today. It was a vote against tolerance and inclusiveness. I was born in the UK and in growing up here I had to go through years of being called names - paki, wog, nigger - and fearing for my safety when I walked down the street. That feeling is back. Today I feel unwelcome in my own home."

I hope your "brown" friend feels better

wow,,,lots of things mentioned here...
Are the below listed figures true.

Muslim Enclaves in Britain

An analysis of 2011 census data reveals the existence of more than 100 Muslim enclaves in Britain. The Muslim population exceeds 85% in some parts of Blackburn and 70% in a half-dozen wards in Birmingham and Bradford. There are also large Muslim communities in Dewsbury, Leicester, London, Luton and Manchester, among others.

Birmingham: Bordesley Green (includes Small Heath) (73.9%); Hodge Hill (includes areas of Saltley and Ward End) (41.5%); Ladywood (35.2%); Lozells and East Handsworth (48.9%); Nechells (43.5%); Sparkbrook (includes Sparkhill) (70.2%); Washwood Heath (includes Alum Rock) (77.3%).

Blackburn with Darwen: Audley (68.7%); Bastwell (85.3%); Corporation Park (62.6%); Little Harwood (51.9%); Queen's Park (51.5%); Shear Brow (77.7%); Wensley Fold (39.8%)

Bolton (Greater Manchester): Crompton (32.7 %); Great Lever (36.6%); Halliwell (27.9%); Rumworth (51.8%)

Bradford (West Yorkshire): Bowling and Barkerend (45.8%); Bradford Moor (72.8%); City (57.3%); Great Horton (42.8%); Heaton (55.9%); Keighley Central (51.2%); Little Horton (58.0%); Manningham (75.0%); Toller (76.1%)

Brent: Barnhill (23.3%); Dollis Hill (31.3%); Dudden Hill (23.5%); Harlesden (21.8%); Stonebridge (28.2%)

Dewsbury (West Yorkshire): Dewsbury South (including Savile Town) (43.8%); Dewsbury West (46.7%)

Leeds: Gipton and Harehills (33.2%)

Leicester: Charnwood (38.7%); Coleman (39.7%); Spinney Hills (69.6%); Stoneygate (50.2%)

London Borough of Enfield: Edmonton Green (29.1%); Haselbury (25.7%); Jubilee (24.1%); Lower Edmonton (24.1%); Ponders End (29.0%); Upper Edmonton (26.4%)

London Borough of Tower Hamlets: Bethnal Green South (45.7%); Bromley-by-Bow (48.7%); East India and Lansbury (42.9%); Limehouse (35.5%); Mile End and Globe Town (34.3%); Mile End East (45.9%); Shadwell (46.7%); Spitalfields and Banglatown (38.6%); St Dunstan's and Stepney Green (48.7%); Weavers (30.3%); and Whitechapel (42.4%).

London Borough of Newham: Boleyn (40.5%); East Ham Central (39.6%); East Ham North (50.1%); Green Street East (49.1%); Green Street West (50.4%); Little Ilford (44.8%); Manor Park (45.4%); Wall End (33.9%)

London Borough of Redbridge: Clementswood (42.7%); Cranbrook (36.6%); Goodmayes (33.5%); Loxford (46.0%); Mayfield (34.6%); Newbury (29.4%); Seven Kings (31.3%); Valentines (40.0%)

London Borough of Waltham Forest: Forest (31.9%); Lea Bridge (32.3%); Leyton (30.2%); Markhouse (32.4%)

Luton: Biscot (64.6%); Dallow (includes parts of Bury Park) (61.6%); Saints (51.1%)

Manchester: Cheetham (43.3%); Longsight (53.8%); Rusholme (37.9%); Whalley Range (32.7%)

Oldham: Coldhurst (64.2%); Medlock Vale (32.3%); St Mary's (58.7%); Werneth (68.2%)

Pendle: Bradley (45.7%); Brierfield (38.8%); Walverden (47.1%); Whitefield (69.8%)

Rochdale: Central Rochdale (52.4%); Milkstone and Deeplish (67.1%)

Slough: Baylis and Stoke (44.7%); Central (40.6%); Chalvey (37.2%);

Westminster: Church Street (42.0%); Harrow Road (24.1%); Hyde Park (25.1%); Queen's Park (26.3%); Westbourne (33.1%)

Wycombe: Bowerdean (35.6%); Oakridge and Castlefield (45.7%)

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5177/ ... es-britain

"under 2% no problems"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxdoztoBEuc

They say this is censored in the UK 9:48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxefcCwgKNU
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:19 pm

As I was born in a former Commonwealth nation when the British defeated the Spaniards and took over the island, the UK was a force to be reckoned with and as such under Commonwealth rules, colonial subjects ;D in former British (applied to French, Dutch, and other possessions also) went to UK and became the source of work after WW2 and many stayed in one form or another. That was the status quo so I am shocked that people are claiming that certain groups tended to congregate in certain area. When you look at it, these were ghettos that they were siphoned off to and when they became segregated places they are now, people pretend to be taken aback by this.

??? This is like making lies about someone and becoming shocked by ones own lies that spun out of control and now the other is blamed.

When South Asians came to the UK there was something called Pak bashing, so called because the British Skinhead would take 2x4s (the US definition) and beat down defenseless South Asians not being able to tell who was A Pakistani or who was Hindu! There is a saying from my youth that "2 man rat cannot live in the same hole" if 2 bosses (or those imaging they are bosses) are vying for the same [resources) somebody has to leave. ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:48 pm

yeniseri wrote:As I was born in a former Commonwealth nation when the British defeated the Spaniards and took over the island, the UK was a force to be reckoned with and as such under Commonwealth rules, colonial subjects ;D in former British (applied to French, Dutch, and other possessions also) went to UK and became the source of work after WW2 and many stayed in one form or another. That was the status quo so I am shocked that people are claiming that certain groups tended to congregate in certain area. When you look at it, these were ghettos that they were siphoned off to and when they became segregated places they are now, people pretend to be taken aback by this.

??? This is like making lies about someone and becoming shocked by ones own lies that spun out of control and now the other is blamed.

When South Asians came to the UK there was something called Pak bashing, so called because the British Skinhead would take 2x4s (the US definition) and beat down defenseless South Asians not being able to tell who was A Pakistani or who was Hindu! There is a saying from my youth that "2 man rat cannot live in the same hole" if 2 bosses (or those imaging they are bosses) are vying for the same [resources) somebody has to leave. ;D

Are you saying that all that is presented is based on lies?
can you point out some of the lies?

One bad act does not excuses the other? Or do think there should be some kind of pay back?

can you or the others provide some contrary data

maybe your right, the others here seem to feel its no big deal,,, ;)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby middleway on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:11 am

. Removed to avoid further unwanted involvement. thanks.
Last edited by middleway on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:16 am

Rant or no rant you were wrong about Scotland so perhaps you're wrong about this too.

Time will tell...

middleway wrote:Scotland had its referendum and there is no reason to believe they will be given another. Wales will not leave the UK, they have no resource at all to run themselves as an independent country and would require heavy help from England to survive. Shipping to Wales would not be easy if not through England, they have no postal infrastructure, no power base, no gas or water infrastructure owned in wales. It would be almost impossible for them and stupid.

What i really hate is how the remain voters are now calling everyone who voted to leave racists. :( What an intellectually dishonest position :(
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby middleway on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:22 am

grzegorz

I never claimed to be 'right' about anything. That rant is about how i feel and how i feel is that overnight i have become a racist, bigoted, intolerant asshole in the eyes of previously reasonable people. It is upsetting that the country is dividing itself this way rather than pulling together. We dont see this happen when a Political party loses the vote, so why now? Democracy must be the best way no??

Scotland haven't got a referendum yet and it may well pan out that as the dust settles the referendum will not be called for. If they leave then they leave. Right or wrong isnt the important point here.

Indeed time will tell.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic