what are some of your other hobbies/interests?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: what are some of your other hobbies/interests?

Postby everything on Thu May 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Wow, I wasn't expecting everyone has such cool, diverse interests. Hope others will chime in. Don't worry if you don't think you are "high level". I'm not good at any of my hobbies.

Bao, one of my kids wants to make films. Not sure if he will go to film school. Definitely seems like one of those statistically improbable goals, like saying "I will be UFC champ", yet someone gets to do these things. Backup plans can wait. :) It's supposedly the age of creativity coming along. The "robots" can replace us more left-brained analytical people.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Thu May 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Some things I'm working on at the moment. Don't mind the hammer tracks.

"Cowboy" 14" blade-20"/overall - "Side-kick" 9.5" blade-15.5" overall:

"Teddybear" 3-finger, semi-hollow ground caping/utility knife:

Last edited by BruceP on Thu May 25, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu May 25, 2017 1:37 pm

That is so badass. I kinda want to go out and fight zombies now. Seeing my username in the photo is funny and oddly satisfying, too, haha.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby jimmy on Thu May 25, 2017 4:10 pm

jimmy
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu May 25, 2017 4:40 pm

LOL :D
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri May 26, 2017 12:02 am

BruceP wrote:Bao, I like the subtle plays on symmetry/asymmetry. Thought provoking, leastwise.

Nice to see that someone gets it. Loved the knives, some really good quality work there. 8-)

everything wrote:Bao, one of my kids wants to make films. Not sure if he will go to film school. Definitely seems like one of those statistically improbable goals, like saying "I will be UFC champ", yet someone gets to do these things. Backup plans can wait. :)

I don't think it's undoable. I don't believe that it's something that some people "gets to do". It's more like somewhere you need to understand how to burst yourself in and through. It's a very tough place with mostly crazy egomaniacs who runs the show. If you don't have the resources, good friends and a lot of knowledge, people will run you over. In no country the film industry is somewhere I would want to work for others. But if you can start from a point where you are independent, in charge and where other people are dependent on you, well, then the situation is different.

It's supposedly the age of creativity coming along. The "robots" can replace us more left-brained analytical people.

Might be some truth to it. The problem today as I see it is that there's so much information out there. It's extremely hard to make any kind of business when nobody even notice that you're there. Think about all of the self-publishing authors. There are so many thousands and thousands of books on Amazon. You can do everything yourself these days and many people try. But it's tough. It's the creative people who find ways to stand out from the crowd and make noise that people take notice of.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Fri May 26, 2017 12:29 am

BruceP, that's some seriously nice work! :D
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri May 26, 2017 7:13 am

Bao, thanks a lot for those thoughts and advice. Really helpful. It is the age of youtube and DIY, so it's true that anything is possible. Independent seems an attractive way to go (in all fields).
everything
Wuji

Postby jimmy on Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:37 pm

hey brucie... do you have any for sale?

jimmy
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:58 am

Watch "My One & Only Love on Buffet Super Dynaction Saxophone" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/rkraAZAKIXE
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:08 pm

nice man. wish I were a little bit talented at music. messing around with (super simple) guitar lately.

been listening to coleman hawkins a lot lately. I don't really know any jazz history, but that stuff is just awesome.
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Thanks! Much appreciated. When it's your own music it's hard to know how other people hear it.

My kids started music lessons and they weren't practicing so the rule is when I practice they have to practice. So I started playing again and to be honest it is actually a lot more fun now than when I used to play in bands where you'd have to force yourself to practice.

Don't get down on yourself. You can learn music at any age. It just takes time. Good to hear we have other musicians here too.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:57 pm

man you guys really have way deeper and more varied interests and pursuits than I even hope to have! great stuff.
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:13 am

Thanjs for sharing Grzegorz. Liked it very much. Music is great. I am completely illiterate when it comes to music, but I used to follow my kid to his piano lessons. He lost the interest to continue to practice, very much due to a confused school I guess. I miss those classes.

For the moment, I am testing different acrylics colors and methods to bring some of my sketches and drawings alive on a bigger format. I have done a lot of painting on oil when I was younger, but living in a small apartment I don't want to expose my family members to the stench and substances. I am not the greatest fan of acrylics, find it way harder to work with. But practice makes perfect I guess... :-\

I am also trying to continuing to develop my so-so drawing skills, reading some books about drawing and test out exercises, mostly to teach my seven year old kid more methods and tricks to help him continue to develop his drawing skills. I sent a couple of drawings he made to an art school. I guess they didn't believe me that a seven year old did them... They wouldn't even reply. ;D
Last edited by Bao on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:07 am

As a kid up to late teenage I seemingly always had a pencil, crayon or brush in my hand. My dad was into art in many ways and I often hang around in his studio drawing, painting and even trying out chalcography work. For different reason I strayed away from it all, but whenever holding a pen(which nowadays seemingly only happens when one has to sign on something) I feel the little artist want to come alive again. Would love to have a go with it again when I get more time on my hand.
Trick

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic