US Now Admits Syrian "Rebels" Have Used Chemical Weapons

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: US Now Admits Syrian "Rebels" Have Used Chemical Weapons

Postby grzegorz on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:35 pm

From what I can find the news is that Russia says the US says...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:55 am

Sec Def Mattis admits the USA has no evidence of Syria using chemical weapons, that it was only other organizations who claimed such evidence. This is in context to the USA shooting 59 Tomahawk missiles into Syria last April a few days after some youtube videos made by anti-govt forces made a chemical weapons claim, which was long before the SA or any other organization could even begin to attempt to investigate.

Basically it means the USA committed an act of war against Syria last April based on some unverified youtube videos. There is a long pattern of these unverified claims prior to US military action.

US has no evidence of Syrian use of sarin gas, Mattis says

Feb. 8. 2018

https://apnews.com/bd533182b7f244a4b771c73a0b601ec5

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. has no evidence to confirm reports from aid groups and others that the Syrian government has used the deadly chemical sarin on its citizens, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Friday.

“We have other reports from the battlefield from people who claim it’s been used,” Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon. “We do not have evidence of it.”

He said he was not rebutting the reports.

“We’re looking for evidence of it, since clearly we are dealing with the Assad regime that has used denial and deceit to hide their outlaw actions,” Mattis said.

Syrian President Bashar Assad denies his government has used chemical weapons.

Mattis says it is clear that Assad’s government has weaponized and used chlorine gas in the Syrian civil war.

“We’re even more concerned about the possibility of sarin use,” he said. Sarin is a colorless and tasteless toxin that can cause respiratory failure leading to death.

Last April, the U.S. launched several dozen Tomahawk cruise missiles at a Syrian air base in response to what it called illegal Syrian use of chemical weapons. President Donald Trump said the attack was meant to deter further Syrian use of illegal weapons.

In his remarks Friday, Mattis alluded to the April attack, saying, “So they’d be ill-advised to go back to violating” the international prohibition on the use of chemical weapons.

On Thursday, the Trump administration accused Assad of producing and using “new kinds of weapons” to deliver deadly chemicals. Administration officials said Trump has not ruled out additional military action to deter chemical attacks or to punish Assad, though they did not suggest any action was imminent. They emphasized that the United States was seeking a new way to hold users of chemical weapons accountable and wanted cooperation from Russia, Assad’s patron, in pressuring him to end the attacks.

Final sentence of the article, the US wants to find new ways to pressure Assad to stop doing something for which the US has no evidence he is responsible.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:28 am

I think you're reading the title of the article as a conclusion. For ex.,

“We have other reports from the battlefield from people who claim it’s been used,” Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon. “We do not have evidence of it.”

He said he was not rebutting the reports.

It's hard to read that as it didn't happen. He also said that:

Mattis says it is clear that Assad’s government has weaponized and used chlorine gas in the Syrian civil war.

All Mattis's remarks were meant to vilify Assad. That's not to say that our attacks on him are justified. I would have said they were, if I considered the attacks as acts of humanitarian principle. But, they're not. "We" don't give a shit about Syrians. End stop. In fact, I tend to think that our killing of Syrians is more immoral than Assad killing them.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:53 am

"We" don't give a shit about Syrians. End stop. In fact, I tend to think that our killing of Syrians is more immoral than Assad killing them.

We're in general agreement here. Allegedly Assad gassed his own people, so now we should bomb them in order to punish Assad for gassing them, all in an effort to do to Syria what we did to Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya. More success stories in our foreign policy.

I know what you're saying about the title and conclusion. This admission accentuates the problem with last year's US bombing for which we had no reliable evidence to go on at the time.
Michael

Previous

Return to Off the Topic