Cambridge Analytica's use of FB

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Cambridge Analytica's use of FB

Postby vadaga on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:20 am

If Mark Zuckerberg is serious about making facebook a legitimate useful platform for people to interact with each other why not delist and make the company a non profit. Either that or just sell the site to Amazon and they can merge the two sites to something which we can use both to interact with people and purchase things, if the stock goes low enough I could see Amazon trying a takeover.

saw this earlier today https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03-25/dumb-f-ks-julian-assange-reminds-us-what-mark-zuckerberg-thinks-facebook-users
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:08 pm

I agree. The fact is those running FB have known about this concerns since the beginning but chose not to do anything. I imagine once again they are hoping the news cycle will just blow over. It is only when people like Tesla (which left) and other big accounts leave which would cause anything to change. It is all about money.

Steve Jobs warned Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg on privacy issues in 2010

https://www.techgenyz.com/2018/03/25/st ... uckerberg/

Since last week, the Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and the executives are dealing with lots of problems regarding the privacy issues of Facebook. Reports claim that personal data of Facebook users have been extracted by a quiz app without their consent. This data have been said to be passed on to a political data firm Cambridge Analytica that worked on behalf of Donald J. Trump’s presidential campaign. Reacting to this, Zuckerberg only issued a long non-apology on Facebook which also appeared on cable news. There he explained how the company was responding to what he called “a breach of trust between Facebook and the people who share their data with us and expect us to protect it.”

This might not have happened if the Facebook executives paid attention to what Steve Jobs said eight years ago in 2010. The former CEO of Apple tried to warn Zuckerberg about Facebook privacy issues in 2010. At The Wall Street Journal’s AllThingsD conference, a noted journalist Walt Mossberg asked Jobs his opinion on the privacy issues around Facebook and Google and whether Silicon Valley looks at privacy differently than the rest of the world. Back then Facebook had adjusted its privacy controls after being criticized for forcing users to share data and Google was accused of recording Wi-Fi private information.

Zuckerberg was in the audience and was waiting to be interviewed when Jobs answered to it.

"Silicon Valley is not monolithic. The views of Silicon Valley are not exactly the same. Our views on privacy have always been significantly different from those of other parts of Silicon Valley." – Steve Jobs.

Jobs even said that Apple would never allow the developers decide whether to warn the user and inform them that the application is tracking their data. Instead, Apple will use a pop-up alert to warn users to let them know that apps are tracking them. If they don’t want to be tracked, they can turn off this ability. He added, “We did a lot of these things to make sure that users know what these apps are doing.”

When Mossberg asked Jobs if that applied to Apple’s own apps in the cloud. Jobs replied, “Simply put, privacy is about letting people know what they have registered and constantly reminding me. I’m an optimist and I believe people are smart. Some people want to share more data than others. Then ask them, ask them again. If they are tired of your questions, they will tell you to stop asking questions. You want them to know exactly how you will handle their data.”

“Many people in Silicon Valley think that our opinion on privacy issues is really outdated,” Jobs said in an interview. Yet he still held a rigid view in protecting the privacy issues of the users.

Earlier Zuckerberg has been criticized for dealing with the user data several times. He apologized in 2007 because a Facebook product over-took user tracking too far. Again in 2010, he accepted the privacy problem hence forced to change the company’s own settings. In 2014 the privacy issue of this networking site reappeared. These experiences were not a lesson for Facebook chiefs as privacy setting problem did pop-up again in 2018. Had company been more forthright about how developers used the data shared with them by Facebook users and sold to third parties, this trouble would have never appeared.

I want a Tesla.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Watch "Snowden’s Message on Facebook’s data leak scandal with Cambridge Analytica" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/RR3UIN94r70
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Last edited by vadaga on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:24 am

one more, I like that this one talks about actual revenue model of Facebook http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/antonio-garcia-martinez-former-facebook-employee-interview.html

'Facebook’s actual average revenue per user in developed nations like the U.S. is pretty damn high. So it would put it on the order of a Netflix subscription, or more, potentially. Even though people might derive that much value from it, it’s unlikely that they’re just going to fork out a couple hundred bucks a year for Facebook.'
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:32 pm

grzegorz wrote:Watch "Snowden’s Message on Facebook’s data leak scandal with Cambridge Analytica" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/RR3UIN94r70

"You are Facebook's product, not a consumer."

Bingo!

It's funny. I haven't told this story because no one believes it but here it is. With the exception of a few forums and keeping in touch with friends living abroad I was done with FB but kept my account so people could still reach me if they needed to. What I didn't expect was text messages from Facebook asking me to log in so I don't miss anything.

I finally text them back with, "Fork Facebook!" Then went about my day and sure enough a family memeber asked me how I was doing because FB then posted it on my wall. Sure enough my post got a lot of reactions and comments and I closed my account. It became obvious that unless people log in faceebook can't make money off of which is all they care about.

Also FB is not going to change anything. This whole Zuckerburg thing was nothing more than a face lift.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic