So long, Conor...

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: So long, Conor...

Postby KEND on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:34 pm

That's funny
I suspect its a stunt for his exodus to the WWF where such antics are common. So a few weeks in jail then on to more lucrative ventures
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Jail is not his biggest problem. One of the fighters on the bus got glass in his eye. He and another fighter won't be able to have their matches; so, their training expenses were lost, as was their paydays for their bouts, and the costs to the promoters. That's not to mention the physical damage he did to the bus and arena.

I don't think his jail time will be long unless it's decided that his actions were planned and the injuries were intentional. He'll be sued to high heaven. Will he be able to fight again? Sure, maybe not in the UFC, and maybe not in the US. He's probably lost his NY State license. But, someone will pay to see him fight again, especially if it's with Khabib.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby nicklinjm on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:48 pm

Don`t have time to watch all the videos. Can anyone point out the motivation behind Conor`s attack on the tour bus full of other MMA fighters?
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:29 pm

nicklinjm wrote:Don`t have time to watch all the videos. Can anyone point out the motivation behind Conor`s attack on the tour bus full of other MMA fighters?

I barely follow the UFC, but there was a short and, to me, incomprehensible video showing the conflict that led up to this; it's in the thread. Recently, in the large hallway of a hotel or convention center where the entourage of fighter A had a brief and unremarkable confrontation with the entourage of fighter B—it really looked like nothing. Fighter A was a training partner and friend of McGregor and fighter B was someone named Khabib, hailing from the badlands of Dagestan.

Not sure if I have this detail correct, but Khabib was supposed to have a match on Saturday with either fighter A or someone else, and McGregor was supposed to fight the winner of that match? Is that accurate sports fans?

This Khabib was on the bus that McGregor and his entourage attacked. It doesn't make any sense unless McGregor was either: (A) on drugs, (B) publicity stunt, (C) hasn't fought in a year and a half and did this in order to avoid his next match, sort of like a student calling in a bomb scare to his high school because he didn't want to take an algebra test.

Hypothetical McGregor speaking after slap on the wrist and some payoffs:
"Well, Khabib threatened my mate and I overreacted a bit, but now I've lost my license to fight, so I'm: (A) retiring, (B) joining the WWF, (C) focusing on family issues with the help of my new spiritual advisor, Steven Seagal, who helped me get a Russian passport from Papa Putin. Don't tell anyone, but I put the Novichok in the Skirpal's breakfast cereal."
Michael

Postby Bill on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:39 pm

"I'm here to kick ass and snort coke, and I'm all out of coke!"

C.M.
Last edited by Bill on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:47 pm

Bill wrote:"I'm here to kick ass and short coke, and I'm all out of coke!"

C.M.

Damn, that McGregor's smarter than me. I only shorted Tesla, but he shorted Coca-Cola. Must've made a killing. ;D
Michael

Postby Bill on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:57 pm

That darn auto correct got me. :)
Last edited by Bill on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:09 am

Actually, the biggest hit Conor is going to face is likely being banned from the US, quite possibly for life.

As a convicted felon, which he probably will be in light of all of the video, he won't be allowed into the US ever again. Even if he gets out of it through creative lawyering and paying people off he is looking at a minimum 5 year ban.

And none of that even addresses the fact that Department of State can simply designate him ineligible to enter the US and that works as a lifetime ban without even going to court. As an administrative issue a non-US citizen has no ability to fight it. Finally, I continually remind people when they travel abroad, "you are a guest in the country, you have no right to be there."

Even a 5 year ban would effectively end his career in the money leagues of professional fighting UFC/WWF/whatever. Sure he could fight abroad with Bellator or in some of the Japanese leagues, but the pay days and fame are going to be a lot smaller.

A Mayweather rematch might work if he does it in Europe/Japan/wherever, but I think the window on that is getting a lot smaller and that doesn't get into his contract problems with the UFC.
Last edited by Peacedog on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:55 am

Well, imo, if he's imprisoned, which wouldn't happen right away, then a five year stint --even reduced to 2.5 for good time-- would effectively ruin his career. A ban from the US would end his chances of working here, but I'd bet Khabib would gladly fight him in Russia. And, I'm not sure that what he did would stop people from watching on pay per view.

Afa his actions, though, it was classic doing the wrong thing at the wrong place. Maybe it was the Henny, maybe blow, maybe roids, maybe just alcohol. In fact, that may be his best defense.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:21 pm

Is there a reason he doesn't want to fight? I thought he wanted more money?
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Mad dog enough to throw a dolly hand cart hand truck through the window of a bus carrying lots of innocent people, but calm enough to let a security guard shoo-shoo-shoo him away without a struggle? Weird.

Khabib said this coming off the bus, if you want to fight, why attack the bus, why throw things at the windows? Just tell me when and where.

I think this is correct. Nothing McGregor did that day show a person who wants to fight. I think there are a few different other possibilities, but having a sanctioned or unsanctioned one-on-one match does not jibe with what he did.

It sorta looks to me like someone who gets himself into trouble because he doesn't want to carry through with the course of action that he is either expected to do or what he really wants to do, but can't admit it.
Michael

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:27 pm

I'll be amazed if Conor gets a felony.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Conor’s going to have a hard time with this one in my opinion as his being the aggressor was caught on multiple videos. Also, the fact that he flew a group on thugs in just to do this really indicates premeditation.

If it weren’t for the video, some creative lawyering and claiming “we were having an argument backstage and things got out of hand” might work for the right jury.

But in light of the severity of some of the injuries, the level of documentation involved and that all of this nonsense screams someone planned it...I’m pretty sure he’s going to do some time. And as he is a non-citizen that means he’s screwed.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:30 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:I'll be amazed if Conor gets a felony.

From CONOR MCGREGOR CHARGED WITH 3 COUNTS OF ASSAULT AND ONE COUNT OF FELONY CRIMINAL MISCHIEF, https://www.mmaweekly.com/conor-mcgrego ... l-mischief:
Damon Martin on April 6, 2018 wrote:

Conor McGregor is awaiting an appearance before a judge in New York on Friday facing four separate charges stemming from an incident where the UFC lightweight champion stormed through the Barclays Center, assaulting a bus and injuring several people.

According to a spokesperson from the New York Police Department, McGregor has been charged with three separate counts of misdemeanor assault as well as one count of felony criminal mischief.

The three misdemeanor counts of assault carry a maximum of one year in prison each with a $1,000 fine. The felony criminal mischief stems from the amount of damage caused to the bus, which was in excess of $1,500. That charge comes along with a maximum jail sentence of seven years.

Because McGregor has no prior criminal record in the United States, it’s not likely that he’ll end up facing a felony charge as a first-time offender. Instead, McGregor will likely be asked to pay restitution for the damage done with his attorney pleading down his charges.

McGregor is still awaiting a time for his arraignment before a judge in New York where he’ll answer to the charges and bail will be set for the Irish superstar. Once he posts bail or bond, McGregor will be released from custody.

McGregor surrendered to police around 10:30 p.m. ET on Thursday night where he was detained in custody after being questioned about the incident.

The UFC lightweight champion showed up to the Barclays Center unannounced and proceeded to make his way to the loading docks where two separate buses were parked with numerous UFC fighters inside awaiting transport back to their hotels after a media event earlier in the day.

McGregor and his entourage assaulted the bus by throwing several objects including a moving dolly and a chair that smashed through the windows in the front and back of the vehicle. McGregor was reportedly retaliating against UFC lightweight contender Khabib Nurmagomedov after he was involved in a separate incident earlier this week where he and his crew cornered featherweight fighter Artem Lobov in the host hotel in Brooklyn.

McGregor then arrived in New York from Ireland where he reportedly sought retribution for his friend and teammate and that’s what led to his meltdown at the Barclays Center.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:03 pm

Charged is a long way from convicted--especially if you have money.

It's possible, but I will be very surprised.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic