Bare-knuckle boxing has returned

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Bare-knuckle boxing has returned

Postby Trick on Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:51 am

wayne hansen wrote:So you have never known someone to pop a knuckle
Why do you think boxers wrap their hands

No never seen any getting popped knuckles, but I only been around the “semi” contact fighting of traditional karate. But knockdowns/outs happened without knuckles getting bad.
I’ve punched out three teeth’s on opponents, although had to stich together the skin on one pinky finger knuckle.
I thought about this why boxers binding their hands after looking through a boxing magazine, they seem to wrap’em so tight and big it seem more as an enhancement of their own knuckles to produce a more “massive” strike, does the MMA fighter also do this ?
I seem to recall hat aJack Dempsey wrote about bare knuckle fighting how to not throw full power strikes to opponents head, make sense.

@Steve James, if I remember right Bas Rutten initially fought in Shoot Fighting where rules are only palm strikes to the head? However he might have carried on with that later in the “regular” MMA
Trick

Postby Giles on Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:28 am

I'm not a 'fighter' in the terms discussed here, but I'll allow myself a couple of remarks.

Steve James wrote:I think it's possible to fight with unwrapped hands, as long as you don't punch anything hard with your knuckles. Bas Rutten made a career using palm strikes to knock out opponents. And then, a good strategy is to use fists for body shots.

Which is pretty much what any decent Tai Chi form reflects: palm strikes, hand-edge strikes, finger strikes and maybe backfists high, and then fist strikes medium to low.

Used to know a doctor who worked in the casualty department in Hamburg. He said on Saturday nights he was always seeing guys come in with broken hands/knuckles from fights, and on at least one occasion he'd seen a guy come in with a tooth embedded between his knuckles. Ouch, also infection-wise.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:36 am

I broke my hand with gloves on. But, that was in an open kung fu tournament where hand wrapping wasn't done. It was stupid --not to wrap-- but fair for everyone. Anyway, it was a punch to the other guy's forehead that did it. Lesson learned.

I think I can hit just as hard with the palm heel as with the front of the fist. I should I say I can hit hard enough with other parts of the hand. That's not even mentioning that hitting with an improperly formed fist makes injury even more likely.

But, using correct technique, the fists are perfect for striking the torso. I do tend to agree that that's why there's a notable absence of high "punches" in tcc. The only one I know is the "Double Phoenix fist" punch, and that one doesn't even use a conventional fist. [Ok, I think every palm (hand) can be turned into a fist, spear, etc. I'm just saying I don't know of m/any high punches in the traditional Yang tcc long form. I'm not saying that they can't be done or that someone doesn't do them.]
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:57 am

hard to soft, and soft to hard.

something like that?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:26 am

everything wrote:hard to soft, and soft to hard.

something like that?

It makes sense. No?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:21 am

:-\
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby KEND on Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:14 pm

Vinnie Giordano at 'Vanishing Flame has researched the bare knuckle arts of SE Asia for years[Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Miranmar]. They start young and are tough fighters
KEND
Great Old One

Postby greytowhite on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:58 am

KEND wrote:Vinnie Giordano at 'Vanishing Flame has researched the bare knuckle arts of SE Asia for years[Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Miranmar]. They start young and are tough fighters

Fuckin' a right. So many SE Asian kids tried to jump me over the years - there were a lot of "boat people" in Stockton. Kindergarten onward it was just sheer hostility from day 1 until freshman year of high school when I had gained a modicum of respect and a reputation for retard strength and "dirty" fighting. The big jocks and karate kids were easy fights in comparison to those quick, vicious Cambodian, Laos, and Thai kids. The Vietamese left me alone because my mom was a career counselor at a local college and got a few of their older siblings jobs.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:33 am

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:33 pm

KEND wrote:Vinnie Giordano at 'Vanishing Flame has researched the bare knuckle arts of SE Asia for years[Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Miranmar]. They start young and are tough fighters

Thanks. Girodano has a documentary "Born Warriors." The art is called Lethwei aka “the art of nine limbs” which includes headbutts. The more traditional rules include wrapped hands, no gloves and you win by knockout or it's a draw, no points.

Born Warriors on Jun 26, 2015 wrote:
Born Warriors Redux focuses on the sport of Lethwei after the opening of the country to the outside world.

Part one focuses on the rise of the modern training camp. Even though many are still raw and rudimentary, they are progressing their training and training methods to move with the times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_rVIfSH9r8

Born Warriors on Oct 20, 2014 wrote:In Part Two of our outtakes series, we take a further look at Lethwei's training routines visiting a once popular camp in Mandalay. Poverty and a scarcity of tournaments typically force Lethwei fighters to train anywhere they can - from spartan backyards to temple grounds. Some Burmese Lethwei camps manage to cobble together a reasonable amount of equipment, but the resources of most fall far below the level of the poorest and most basic Muay Thai camps in Thailand. The situation is slowly changing, but this glimpse from the past shows how, even in the worst conditions, fighters can train hard and gain advantage in the ring.
©2014, no material may be used without written permission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EAvmsDhYZY

Born Warriors on Sep 15, 2016 wrote:Part Three of our Outtakes series focuses on the role of the Referee or Referees in Lethwei:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq5Hfle9SUE

Born Warriors n May 8, 2017 wrote:Saya U Ko Aung(Myint Zaw) heads up Aphyu Yaung Thway Tit Lethwei Camp. The fighters train on a small narrow street in front of Saya U Ko Aung's home. His camp is one of the poorest in Yangon but that doesn't stop his fighters from competing every chance they get. Rain or shine these durable competitors are out on their street training everyday of the week.

Saya Aung appears in both Born Warriors and Born Warriors Redux. Some of the footage presented here dates back to 1999 and shows the evolution of his camp through the years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBs7jZfElaw

Dave LeDuc, originally from Canada with a Jeet Kune Do background, introduced his modern style (e.g., distance, defense, etc.) to become Lethwei open weight world champion.

McDojoLife on Feb 9, 2019 wrote:Lethwei open weight world champion Dave Leduc joins us on the show today. We discuss the details of Lethwei, His Career and some alternative training methods he has tried:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGgWOUuKtq4

Leduc Lethwei on Jun 26, 2018 wrote:LETHWEI TUESDAY IS BACK!
Dave has moved to Dubai, but will start posting regularly from now on until another break before his fight August 18th, in Yangon.

This video is for serious fighters, especially barenuckle fighters! But also for serious martial artists, who are on the continuous quest of self improvement! Sibok Martin Patenaude is one of Dave Leduc’s first coach and always has unorthodox training regimen, which contributes to making him one of the toughest guy he has met. Watch the whole video to see how to strengthen your hands for bare-knuckle combat.Lethwei Tuesday is back! Every week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqo87bTe8Ow
marvin8
Wuji

Postby shoebox55 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:06 pm

Are there any martial arts that spar with palm strikes to the head?

Last edited by shoebox55 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shoebox55
Mingjing

Previous

Return to Off the Topic