Bare-knuckle boxing has returned

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Bare-knuckle boxing has returned

Postby klonk on Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:01 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/b ... 666535002/

It ain't like the old London Rules, which allowed throws. It may be interesting to see the effect on tactics when there are no gloves. Using the gloves as a shield is out, and the hands are more prone to injury when striking hard bony areas. What else can you think of?
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Bare-knuckle boxing has returned

Postby everything on Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:22 pm

ward off

roll back

press

push

;D ;D ;D
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:02 pm

Hand conditioning is going to become important. This means some of the iron palm guys could start making some real money training pro-fighters.

Expect a lot more fights to end early due to cuts on the face/head.

Protecting the head will become really important due to the above reason as well.

I'd assume fewer jabs thrown and more selectively thrown power punches. Mainly due to the risk of damaging your hand and losing the fight that way.

Since most fights will end by knockout, I'm not sure if this will help with the long term trauma to the brain or not.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby liokault on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:58 am

Peacedog wrote:Hand conditioning is going to become important. This means some of the iron palm guys could start making some real money training pro-fighters.

Protecting the head will become really important due to the above reason as well.

I'd assume fewer jabs thrown and more selectively thrown power punches. Mainly due to the risk of damaging your hand and losing the fight that way.

Since most fights will end by knockout, I'm not sure if this will help with the long term trauma to the brain or not.

I would assume lots of jabs to the head, less risk of a break and looking to open cuts. Less power shots to the head and many more power shots to the body.
liokault
Great Old One

Postby liokault on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:07 am

Just did some digging after I saw a post on Facebook a few weeks back.

seems BKB is legal once more in the UK...looks a bit like mid level normal boxing to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTaKLALHRsQ
liokault
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:42 am

Peacedog wrote:Hand conditioning is going to become important. This means some of the iron palm guys could start making some real money training pro-fighters.

Excerpt from "Bec Rawlings discusses UFC regret, preparation for Bare Knuckle FC," https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/6/2/17 ... knuckle-fc:
Marc Raimondi Jun 2, 2018 wrote:In preparation, Rawlings said she has been trying to strengthen her hands. She’s been hitting pads without gloves and gone through iron-palm training, an ancient Chinese martial arts method that involves rubbing of herbs on her hands when she’s done.

“We’ve gone real old-school on this,” said Rawlings, who arrived in Cheyenne on Sunday.

Excerpt from "Bobby Gunn highlights Bare Knuckle Fighting debut," https://www.newsday.com/sports/boxing/b ... 1.18894226:
Ryan Gerbosi on June 1, 2018 wrote:Bobby Gunn punched his bare fists downward into the table in front of him, rattling glasses and silverware while getting the room’s attention at a New York steakhouse.

“I’ll take my knuckles to a hardwood floor for 20 minutes maybe,” Gunn said. “Break all the calluses out, which for me they already are. . . .”

BKFC will use a ruleset different than the London rules but designed to retain the purity of those fights of old. Boxers are not permitted any covering on the knuckles, but can tape their wrists and thumbs for stability. Bouts will take place in a circular boxing ring unique to the promotion and are scheduled for either five or seven two-minute rounds with nine rounds scheduled for championship fights. Each round begins with both fighters standing three feet apart at the ring’s center. Punches are the only offensive weapon permitted, but clinch fighting and holding the back of the opponent’s head is allowed with referees breaking the action if there is three seconds of inactivity.

Some thoughts: At the moment, I enjoy watching gloved boxing more, as the skill level is higher. Early stage fighters are not highly ranked in their sports. Current, highly ranked MMAist or boxers can beat them with standard techniques. If the sport survives, specialized techniques may surface.

Without gloves, blocking with the forehead may become effective, punches slip through the guard easier, vertical punches may be effective, fear of breaking hands can influence targets and how hard to punch. The skilled bare-knuckle fighter can land his weapons in much smaller openings. Under the armpit. Between the V of the elbow. Behind the guard. More cuts and blood leading to more TKO stoppages. Cuts may influence recovery in between fights and longevity of a fighter.
Last edited by marvin8 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby klonk on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:24 am

I am watching what develops with considerable interest. I am mostly a puncher, and years ago sheared a knuckle in the process of punching someone in the head. Any lessons about preserving the hands will be useful information.

Just brainstorming a couple of things about body shots:

The classic Western boxing combination is a jab followed immediately by a cross, both punches typically aimed at the head, but a useful variation occurs to me with the second punch being delivered to the body, with vertical fist and backed by a following step, a la beng quan. (The traditional one-two uses a turn step instead of a straight step. The straight step allows quicker recovery to your fighting posture, but you have less reach.)

We may, at last, have found a venue where the double hip punch is useful. That punch has frustrated me for years as being a bit slow and telegraphic, but it might be worked into a flurry. It delivers a lot of power if you can land it.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:58 am

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby shoebox55 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:29 pm

Just heard about this recently. Brutal stuff. Watching this makes me never to want to be in a street fight. Guy loses his tooth.
craziness

shoebox55
Mingjing

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:11 am

As a wharfie I worked with a guy called Freddie Eiles
He had 300 fights on the street and beat 8 Australian boxing champs
He beat a couple of heavyweights and was never over 11 stone
He was in his 60's when I knew him and had no knuckles left in either hand
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:19 am

At my first regular job one of the Oldtimers had been Swedish boxing champ, his knuckles was still there but not his (own)teeth 8-)

How can one loose ones knuckles from fist fighting ?
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:42 am

So you have never known someone to pop a knuckle
Why do you think boxers wrap their hands
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:12 pm

I think it's possible to fight with unwrapped hands, as long as you don't punch anything hard with your knuckles. Bas Rutten made a career using palm strikes to knock out opponents. And then, a good strategy is to use fists for body shots.

I haven't watched any of the bare-knuckle bouts, but if they focus on head shots there's not doubt the hands with suffer. Of course, we're working under the assumption that we don't want to get hurt. Some fighters work under the assumption that they can give and take more damage than the other guy.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:14 pm

Just found this. Let's watch together --only because we all remember Chris Leben.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFqRS7RLBcM
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:24 pm

couldn't they use these rules using mma gloves?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic