World Cup

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

World Cup

Postby KEND on Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:27 pm

I don't know if anybody has been watching the soccer world cup. There have been many upsets with Argentina melting down , Germany near elimination and Iceland shocking the biggies. Saw a couple of exceptional matches today, Korea vs Mexico produced some excellent football and the Sweden vs Germany match ending with a superb goal from Germany in the last minute maybe keeping thwem from being eliminated for the first time in 60 yrs
KEND
Great Old One

Re: World Cup

Postby Steve James on Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:19 pm

Oh yeah, I've been watching. That last German goal was a thing of beauty. Mexico is playing really well, and so is Belgium. Messi has too much on his shoulders, including Maradona. Uruguay seems to be the most disciplined, and will be fun to watch. Neymar got his first goal, so maybe Brazil will loosen up.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:58 pm

Ball games interest me as much as kung fu interests 99.999% of the populace ;D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:10 pm

Generally not interested in watching football but when the World Cup or European Championship is on I get hooked...Football is getting big here in China and people like to watch the game, in the summers here many restaurants have an out-door serving and during the World Cup many have an TV put up outside, even if the tournament is held on the other side of the globe some keep their outdoor Telly on...can be a bit noisy for neighbours that want to sleep though....Cuju, the first football game ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuju
Trick

Postby klonk on Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:33 pm

edededed wrote:Ball games interest me as much as kung fu interests 99.999% of the populace ;D

For some, the World Cup is a surrogate for something. I disbelieve that anyone is passionate about sweaty guys kicking a ball around. If you don't have anything else to care about, well here you go.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:34 am

It's an alien concept to me - but a majority of men seem (to me) quite passionate about watching sweaty men kick a ball around. But as you say, it may be a "default passion" in a sense.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:07 am

Go England, Ken. Though, there's not much glory in beating Panama --though Panama took the US up.

Oh, and I'm really messed up. Now I'm turning to see what happens in F1. Again, I'm on the Brit side. Go Ham!
And, I'm not missing the TdF or RedBull Hardline either.
None of which are manly sports to ya'll, alas. ;)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:22 am

England has an easy group, should get through, hope Harry Kane is on form. I was brought up on soccer but later converted to rugby. For the disbelievers, soccer is a world game, NFL and Baseball aren't, I've seen people get excited about a home run, frankly I could care less, but then I feel the same way about cricket.I can get enthusiastic about basketball but soccer is everymans game you don't have to be 7 ft tall or weigh 300 lbs to play it
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:54 am

Agreed that football (soccer) and basketball are world sports. Football does tend to be more democratic --though not completely so. There aren't many short goalies :). Even more important is that is the international appeal of the WC. If there's something wrong with that concept, then we might as well get rid of the Olympics.

I grew up waiting to watch both of those events. Otoh, I went out to play US football and baseball. I lived within walking distance of Yankee Stadium, but never thought of going to watch a game.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:35 am

I sow interior of the Yankee Stadium only once,
- It was Pink Floyd concert , :D
I lived only 10 years or so, in the NYC, dough .
My interest in the ball games are exactly the same as edededed noted,
but
I have some fun from predicting my national team scores,
which was quite different from our commentators shots, however , coming out quite right. :o
anyway
I found it amazing that, so big bucks are engaged in such business,
looks for me like old imperial story:
wine and games for the plebs !
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby KEND on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:30 am

Watching Uruguay vs Russia this morning, classic opening goal by Ur, from free kick. I occasionally watch UK premier league matchesI, more often than not they are not particularly inspiring but the World Cup matches are almost without exception football at its best, incredibly fast and athletic . This year the usual top teams, Brazil, Germany etc seem to be playing below par so it is pretty open and, dare I say it, England stands a chanceMy guess though is France and Mexico in the final,
KEND
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:28 am

...without exception football at its best, ..
?
haha
Kend, you didn`t sow Poland`s games ,/ actually ,follow FIFA - ranked 8 on the word, btw :o /
hmm, now, I don`t know
is the Columbian team so good,
or Poland team very poor, so Columbian s looked so well , `cause Polish lo level there?

Right now very popular statement here about our players:
... They looks so good
in the commercials....
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:32 am

On the Argentine crisis. This is very good:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... i-football

"On top of that, an imperious, almost delirious need to win overcame the enjoyment of playing. The desire to win at all costs sweeps away your values. Dividing the world into winners and losers is an illness that infected football at a formative stage."

- football, like life, like martial arts.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:23 am

Yeah, the situation in Argentina is that, other than soccer, it's an irrelevant country as far the world stage. No one talks about Argentina except in WC years. They've made football part of their national identity. Unfortunately, that's only because they were successful. Losing means a return to obscurity.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:17 am

Nonsense. Their real star player is Malbec ;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic