World Cup

Rum, beer, women, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: World Cup

Postby KEND on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:46 am

Don't cry for me Argentina. There is still tango. As far as 'football at its best'. I noticed that when playing international matches the players are more committed, the big club players probably pace themselves over the season. I didn't see Poland play but Korea, Mexico, Sweden, etc were playing as if their life depended on it
KEND
Great Old One
 
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: World Cup

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:01 am

Well, Messi did make it in --to the tears of Argentinians everywhere. But, today, the Germans got knocked out and Mexico made it in even though losing 3-0. Good for Sweden, and congrats for Korea.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
User avatar
Steve James
Great Old One
 
Posts: 17194
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:20 am

Re: World Cup

Postby Trick on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:00 am

Yes the world champions are out, and Sweden played a big game agains the Mexicans and are still in
Trick
Wuji
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:30 am

Re: World Cup

Postby everything on Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:49 pm

It's probably so popular because it only requires a makeshift ball. You don't need a goal or shoes.

Hence everyone around the world can play, and then we all share this same excitement and bond.

Not sure how much I'd like it if I never played, and got addicted to playing, though.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
User avatar
everything
Wuji
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: USA

Re: World Cup

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:22 am

It's funny. I've watched the WC since the 70s, but I've never played the game.

Watching Colombia-Senegal right now.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
User avatar
Steve James
Great Old One
 
Posts: 17194
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:20 am

Re: World Cup

Postby everything on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:29 pm

On a tangent, a lot of USAmericans don't understand the theatrical falling. These are dark arts that MAists should appreciate more than most. The decision tree goes something like this:

1. have one-armed wrestling match, incidentally to the actual game tactical decisions. all one-armed push hands skills are good stuff here. if you are outside your box against a top attacker, use two-handed good wrestling moves, but keep them as hidden as possible.
2. if you win, and no whistle, keep going as planned.
3. if you lose, and it's tactically high reward, low risk (like you are an attacker in a great position near opponent's goal if you have a free kick), fall down and roll around and make sure to embellish so the ref can see the play your way. even if that doesn't work, it's ok because you are far away from your goal.
4. if you lose, and it's high risk to fall down (like the opponent is on a breakaway), get the fuck up asap and continue like crazy. probably foul your opponent on purpose before they get to your box. mostly you shouldn't lose a wrestling match if you're a defender. you should have an edge in that you're not controlling the ball at the same time.

If you're an MAist and you don't "get" this sport, especially this part, hope that helps. Maybe you'll even like that part of the game more than you like the main part of the game. It's actually a lot more honest than stupid ph.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
User avatar
everything
Wuji
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: USA

Re: World Cup

Postby everything on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:50 am

France v Argentina!

Going to be interesting!
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
User avatar
everything
Wuji
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: USA

Re: World Cup

Postby Steve James on Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:14 am

Damn, that was some run. 'Dis is gonna be a game.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
User avatar
Steve James
Great Old One
 
Posts: 17194
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:20 am

Re: World Cup

Postby Trick on Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:24 am

everything wrote:On a tangent, a lot of USAmericans don't understand the theatrical falling. These are dark arts that MAists should appreciate more than most. The decision tree goes something like this:

1. have one-armed wrestling match, incidentally to the actual game tactical decisions. all one-armed push hands skills are good stuff here. if you are outside your box against a top attacker, use two-handed good wrestling moves, but keep them as hidden as possible.
2. if you win, and no whistle, keep going as planned.
3. if you lose, and it's tactically high reward, low risk (like you are an attacker in a great position near opponent's goal if you have a free kick), fall down and roll around and make sure to embellish so the ref can see the play your way. even if that doesn't work, it's ok because you are far away from your goal.
4. if you lose, and it's high risk to fall down (like the opponent is on a breakaway), get the fuck up asap and continue like crazy. probably foul your opponent on purpose before they get to your box. mostly you shouldn't lose a wrestling match if you're a defender. you should have an edge in that you're not controlling the ball at the same time.

If you're an MAist and you don't "get" this sport, especially this part, hope that helps. Maybe you'll even like that part of the game more than you like the main part of the game. It's actually a lot more honest than stupid ph.

The closer a player is the opponents penalty area(goalie area)the easier it is to fall, the optimal(beside than try to score) is to take a dive inside that area.....Hollywood next! as we use to say.
Trick
Wuji
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:30 am

Re: World Cup

Postby everything on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:04 am

Trick wrote:
everything wrote:On a tangent, a lot of USAmericans don't understand the theatrical falling. These are dark arts that MAists should appreciate more than most. The decision tree goes something like this:

1. have one-armed wrestling match, incidentally to the actual game tactical decisions. all one-armed push hands skills are good stuff here. if you are outside your box against a top attacker, use two-handed good wrestling moves, but keep them as hidden as possible.
2. if you win, and no whistle, keep going as planned.
3. if you lose, and it's tactically high reward, low risk (like you are an attacker in a great position near opponent's goal if you have a free kick), fall down and roll around and make sure to embellish so the ref can see the play your way. even if that doesn't work, it's ok because you are far away from your goal.
4. if you lose, and it's high risk to fall down (like the opponent is on a breakaway), get the fuck up asap and continue like crazy. probably foul your opponent on purpose before they get to your box. mostly you shouldn't lose a wrestling match if you're a defender. you should have an edge in that you're not controlling the ball at the same time.

If you're an MAist and you don't "get" this sport, especially this part, hope that helps. Maybe you'll even like that part of the game more than you like the main part of the game. It's actually a lot more honest than stupid ph.

The closer a player is the opponents penalty area(goalie area)the easier it is to fall, the optimal(beside than try to score) is to take a dive inside that area.....Hollywood next! as we use to say.


it is a tactic, but you can get carded for diving, too, so you need to be careful ... make sure there is some contact (a fly cannot alight ... a fly pushes you right over hahaha)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
User avatar
everything
Wuji
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: USA

Re: World Cup

Postby everything on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:05 am

Steve James wrote:Damn, that was some run. 'Dis is gonna be a game.


France: give the ball to Mbappe.

Argentina: get the ball out wide, but there is no striker in the box to receive a cross. So get a little lucky.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
User avatar
everything
Wuji
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: USA

Re: World Cup

Postby everything on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:30 am

Argentina looking totally screwed now
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
User avatar
everything
Wuji
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: USA

Re: World Cup

Postby Steve James on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:51 am

Nail biting time with one minute to go.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
User avatar
Steve James
Great Old One
 
Posts: 17194
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:20 am

Re: World Cup

Postby Steve James on Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:23 am

Oh oh, Uruguay v Portugal is already starting to get exciting. Anyway, smiles for France, no tears for Argentina.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
User avatar
Steve James
Great Old One
 
Posts: 17194
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:20 am

Re: World Cup

Postby everything on Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:48 pm

Now the best two players in the past 10 years are both out. The 2014 champions, 2014 runners-up, and 2016 Euro champions all out. Argentina was terrible, but OTOH, managed to score 3 on a French side that had only conceded once in the group stage. There is only so much a Messi or Ronaldo can do.

France v Uruguay will be interesting. Uruguay's defense is better than Argentina's, but Mbappe is looking super impressive.

So it's probaby going to be Cavani or Mbappe vs. Neymar (all from PSG, incidentally) after that.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
User avatar
everything
Wuji
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: USA

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest