US Army algorithm for caffeine intake

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

US Army algorithm for caffeine intake

Postby everything on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:58 pm

https://sleepopolis.com/blog/us-army-ca ... alterness/

https://bigthink.com/stephen-johnson/us ... caffeine-2

Research from the CDC shows that 33 percent of Americans don’t get enough sleep. And for many in that group turn to the most widely used stimulant in the world: caffeine.

But instead of throwing back cup after cup, researchers backed by the US Army set out to find the most efficient way to consume coffee. They built a computer algorithm that studies sleep patterns to make recommendations about optimal caffeine intake.

“Currently there are no tools to guide the timing and amount of caffeine consumption to optimize its benefits,” researchers wrote in the summary of their paper.

“In this work, we provide an optimization algorithm, suited for mobile computing platforms, to determine when and how much caffeine to consume, so as to safely maximize neurobehavioral performance at the desired time of the day, under any sleep-loss condition.”

By monitoring an individual’s sleep patterns and caffeine intake, the researchers think they can improve the cognitive benefits of coffee consumption by as much as 64 percent.

The findings were published in the Journal of Sleep Research and will be used to enhance alertness for army workers.

“We found that by using our algorithm, which determines when and how much caffeine a subject should consume, we can improve alertness by up to 64 per cent, while consuming the same total amount of caffeine,” said study senior author Jaques Reifman, director of the Biotechnology High Performance Computing Software Applications Institute at the US Army Medical Research and Materiel Command.

“Alternatively, a subject can reduce caffeine consumption by up to 65 percent and still achieve equivalent improvements in alertness,” he told Science Daily.

As a real-world example, Reifman said students could use the algorithm to determine the best time to drink coffee so they’re as alert as possible during an exam or for truck drivers or even surgeons who need to stay alert for a specific period of time.

However, if you’re looking for a quick answer like “drink your first cup at 10:30 a.m.” or “two hours before an event,” you might be disappointed.

Instead, scientists hope to incorporate the algorithm into a pre-existing online tool called 2B-Alert to let people find out what’s best for them. While the Army intends to license the technology, according to The Independent, it also plans to release a corresponding 2B-Alert app so members of the public can take tests and input sleep and caffeine intake data to receive “sleep and caffeine schedules” to help them “optimize performance” in future.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/18/army-algo ... civilians/
Last edited by everything on Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: US Army algorithm for caffeine intake

Postby Trick on Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:12 pm

Fall asleep during the watch is definitely no no. The winter that year I did my army time was cold, one guy fell asleep during the fire watch in the tent and the fire went out, -20 degree Celsius, Cold as hell. Don’t know about that guys caffeine intake but he definitely seem to be the kind of guy who had plenty of substances floating around in his system…Best thing would probably be to stay away from any stimulus drugs, however it’s soon time for my afternoon coffee gotta go, cheers :)
Trick

Postby vadaga on Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:58 pm

I took a day off from caffeine yesterday and ended up sleeping 13 hours. could probably have gone back to bed when I got up at 7 am but then had a coffee and it was like hitting the 'on' switch
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:04 pm

I have quit coffee a couple of times, but it's just so darn good.

If I only have 1-2 cups in the morning, things seem good.

Alternatively, if I only have green tea, things are better. Smoother increase of energy, no jitteriness, just alertness. But darn it, I like coffee.

P.S. Posting with the ctrl-c, ctrl-v thing, then preview, then submit, all the time now.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:07 am

Interesting - I trained to drive big rigs at one time - Boston to Chicago mostly some Boston to Atlanta
At that time late night meetups always included coffee - 4 or 5 cups while swapping stories.
Even Dunkin Donuts was open late and there was always a good amount of customers drinking coffee at 11 PM or later.
We all slept quite well and I often express wonder at the change in habit where you cannot find a coffee shop open after
10 PM. Did someone change the formula?
roger hao

Postby Trick on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:32 am

Trick

Postby everything on Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:25 pm

HOW can we caffeinate spiders????
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic