A question for Chinese speakers

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

A question for Chinese speakers

Postby northern_mantis on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:15 am

Hi all

I have a random language question and would be grateful for any assistance. I understand that the spoken word for the number four in mandarin and Cantonese is similar to death and therefore makes that number culturally inauspicious. My question is are there any examples where that had been flipped to be used positively? The best comparison I can think of is in death metal music in English language where the word is used to illustrate the darkness of the subject but is in no way inauspicious. Is anybody aware of any Chinese equivalent? Possibly there may be a generational divide on this.

Many thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer.
Last edited by northern_mantis on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Re: A question for Chinese speakers

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Can’t find something directly similar to what you asked for. But in mandarin/putonghua the number 5, “Wu”, sounds like “not”, so 54 is sometimes considered a lucky number. Many Chinese are a bit superstitious when it comes to these things so they prefer not to make connections or connotations to death. I don’t think that it’s likely they would use it in the way you mean.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Re: A question for Chinese speakers

Postby edededed on Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:34 pm

In most cultures I would guess that death is usually bad. Death metal is probably a weird exception (and I would say that most English speakers think negatively of it anyway ;D )
edededed
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic