snake creeps down type mobility

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

snake creeps down type mobility

Postby everything on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:22 pm

If you've actively worked on it a lot, what were some practical movement benefits you noticed after you did a lot of "snake creeps down" type movement (or similar)?

After reading JW's thread about health, I'd like to improve my flexibility a lot.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: snake creeps down type mobility

Postby GrahamB on Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:48 am

Benefits: I think you feel them most in kicking applications. Obviously, the more flexible you are in the hips the easier it is to kick and the higher you can kick.

Also working off your back in BJJ - flexible hips is a game changer for your guard.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:40 am

Assuming everything is working properly, I’ve seen flexibility work as having limited value martially. But use lots of time that could be better utilized.

Even with kicking, very few people can effectively use kicks above the thigh level.

All of that being said, tight hip flexors always seem to be a problem for anyone that works in an office or drives for a living.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:10 pm

yeah i now like to stretch my piriformis, but had no idea I needed to for 40 some years before that. :-/
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:19 am

Hip flexibility is handy for backpacking, chasing the dog through underbrush, working in cramped spaces doing home remodeling-- basically anything where you need to squat and bend and twist to get over, around, and through obstacles. It also can make you feel more human after sitting in front of a computer for hours and hours.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Bhassler wrote:Hip flexibility is handy for backpacking, chasing the dog through underbrush, working in cramped spaces doing home remodeling-- basically anything where you need to squat and bend and twist to get over, around, and through obstacles. It also can make you feel more human after sitting in front of a computer for hours and hours.

+1
I-mon
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic