UFOs

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

UFOs

Postby KEND on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:01 pm

Tuesday, July 25, 2017
What UFO conspiracy theories reveal about American culture
Last spring, historian Felix Harcourt taught a class at Emory on how conspiracy theories about UFOs have shaped American culture. He began the class with a question: “How many people believe alien life exists?”
Most people in the class raised their hand. “I think so, too,” Harcourt said. “Stephen Hawking thinks so. In a giant universe there is a distinct probability that somewhere alien life has evolved. It probably looks pretty different from us, but it might be out there.”
But what about the idea that aliens have visited Earth? And stories of human complicity in those visits — usually of government complicity?
The multitude of UFO conspiracy theories are considered laughable and serious discussion of them is labeled as a cultural taboo, Harcourt said. “Even as they are treated as laughable, they’re some of the most widely believed conspiracy theories. If we go back to the sixties, Gallup polls find 96 percent of Americans had heard of UFOs, 46 percent believed that they were real. By 1973, 57 percent believed that UFOs were real. By the nineties, 71 percent believed that the government was at least hiding information about UFOs: 'They may or may not be real, but there’s definitely more going on there than the government is letting us know.' And those numbers remain relatively stable.”
A 2015 poll showed that 56 percent of American believe that UFOs are real and 45 percent believe aliens have visited Earth. “To put that into context,” Harcourt said, “in that same survey, 57 percent said that the Big Bang theory was real.”
Harcourt goes on to discuss how various UFO conspiracy theories in the 20th century have changed, often paralleling societal anxieties at the time. Harcourt taught the class as part of a course, “Politics and Paranoia,” while he was a post-doctoral fellow at Emory’s Fox Center for Humanistic Inquiry.
KEND
Great Old One

Re: UFOs

Postby Bill on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:43 pm

I think that the ufo phenomena is an attempt to alter our view of reality. I just don't know by who or why.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:20 pm

Well, the article talks about Americans. I wonder whether the belief that ufos are technologically advanced aliens is as widespread in societies that are more (or less) technological. Two thousand years, most societies believed that aliens were from heaven or a spirit world. There's no way to prove that angels or aliens don't exist. But, the desire to give them identities comes from the same human place. I.e. to explain the unexplained and identify the unidentified.

I think the "ufos are aliens" claim is often an illustration of distrust for the government. That might explain some of the reports in the US. Everybody knows that there's proof in Area 51. Of course, the president would know, and he hasn't said anything. If aliens have visited us, and even taken a few away to do anal-probing, they really must not be interested in communicating or identifying themselves.

Hundreds or thousands of light years is a long way to travel without saying hello or leaving a note. Imo, if they exist, they want remain unidentified.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:37 pm

the logical hypothesis that there is "intelligent life" because the universe is so vast, so surely the accident has happened elsewhere is interesting.

something often overlooked is that the earth's axis is tilted and relatively constant (because of the Moon), and that is what allows for seasons and not too varied, too hot, or too cold climate. that is supposedly needed for development of advanced life. (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... btilt.html for example). the Earth is also a certain distance from its star.

that is quite a lot of conditions that have to come together to be just right.

if we assume the Universe is infinite, then of course, we might still say all of that was bound to happen somewhere else since there is theoretically infinite possibility in this infinite space.

but then there is the problem of how this other life navigated space and time and WHY would it bother to do that, and in "infinity" it's quite a large distance away. that's ignoring some other kind of "dimension" etc etc.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:12 am

- Thinkin`, that the Earth is somehow the >CHOSEN ONE for carry the live< in the presently known Universe is sign of lacking logical brain .
- certainly, not all strange phenomena around are the UFO,
and
I do not quite follow the series:
https://youtu.be/VqGT2n4rnxo
BUT
we have nuf archeological s discoverys to be 100% POOF, that one or more aliens civilization/s/ visited the earth,
or
mankind evolution is much more older than we think....
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Giles on Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:48 am

wiesiek wrote:I do not quite follow the series:
https://youtu.be/VqGT2n4rnxo
BUT
we have nuf archeological s discoverys to be 100% POOF, that one or more aliens civilization/s/ visited the earth,....

Hey, Wiesiek, are you being playfully ironic here? Or serious about "100% proof" ? I had a few spare minutes so I watched the video you quote. It is very silly. :)

It's like the stone heads on Easter Island: "No primitive human civilization, especially the little, stone-age population of Easter Island, could possibly have created, moved and erected these massive stone heads. It must have been aliens!"
What the Easter Island pundits omit from their arguments is that there are still various stone heads in various stages of construction, ranging from just begin to finished, in the disused quarry on the island, complete with abandonded stone tools and other equipment, most dating from the time when the indigenous population/culture collapsed in the 17th/early 18th century due to environmental degradation. Methods of transport from quarry to final installation point are now also pretty much identified (no levitation involved :'( ).
Last edited by Giles on Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:26 am

I marked , that I not fully agree with everything what is told in that/ whole/ series ,
- btw, I don`t remember Easter Islands story exactly, and it is shallowly, or not at all connected with the "alien theory" If you like to know my opinion.
I was referring to some different thing highlighted in that series,
to point few interesting things, let`s say, from south America:

- flying model of the aircraft build follow the shape of the gem found in the tomb
- "H" shaped stones blocks /ancient giants "Lego"/carved with astonishing precision - reminisce of the ancient / 5000 y.o/ building/s/- /airfield temple?/
- vessel with the carved cuneiform -clearly shows Assyrian -PreColumbian contacts - side note -look at their Annunaki`s myth.
AND
we have whole Shiva`and friends stores from the same period of the time, but another part of the word...
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:44 am

sorry, somehow,
can`t find this exact move on the net, /sow it in tv/ , there is to many with similar names.
my net fu level is still very lo. :(
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:01 am

:) Unless they can show which alien civilization built it (whatever it is), if it's on Earth, it's only logical to conclude that it was humans who built it. When I was an undergrad, there were still people arguing that the pyramids of Egypt had to be built by aliens. But, that's only because the people making the assertion weren't smart enough to build one and couldn't imagine anyone being smarter.

Of course, it's not impossible that there were technological civilizations with the capacity for space travel on Earth ten million years ago. They wouldn't be human (homo sapiens). But, they wouldn't be extraterrestrial aliens, either. That's the time problem. In a million years, there could be little evidence that humans existed.

If aliens come from places light years away, either they are very long-lived or they've discovered a way to travel very fast. That's if they have to use a space craft at all. And, if they used one at all, why would it look like anything that we'd use. For example, we see some representations of rocket ships with pointy tips and others that are flying disks. Both shapes are meaningless in space or for space travel.

If we see an ancient picture of something that looks like an airplane, we know (imagine) that it was built to carry something with our shape through something like our atmosphere. It's no different that arguing that God made man in his own image. Of course, that's why some women have bigger busts and butts. I.e., thinking that there are human-like aliens and that we'll find them is a matter of human ego, not mathematics.

Anyway, there's no reason to suggest that any ancient alien civilizations on Earth have anything to do with modern sightings of ufos. So, maybe one day we'll dig up some alien skeletons and be able to compare them to the ones we have from flying saucer crashes. Ya never know.:)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:17 am

Some people use to fly kites in the area in front of the building I live. They also fly them when it has gotten dark, they are equipped with colorful blinking lights. I took a pic and video with my I-pad when they they where flying during the last full moon, the video is the kind that would let UFO’ists go wild some decades ago....maybe still.....I don’t know how to upload the vid here so no video
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:20 am

wiesiek wrote:I marked , that I not fully agree with everything what is told in that/ whole/ series ,
- btw, I don`t remember Easter Islands story exactly, and it is shallowly, or not at all connected with the "alien theory" If you like to know my opinion.
I was referring to some different thing highlighted in that series,
to point few interesting things, let`s say, from south America:

- flying model of the aircraft build follow the shape of the gem found in the tomb
- "H" shaped stones blocks /ancient giants "Lego"/carved with astonishing precision - reminisce of the ancient / 5000 y.o/ building/s/- /airfield temple?/
- vessel with the carved cuneiform -clearly shows Assyrian -PreColumbian contacts - side note -look at their Annunaki`s myth.
AND
we have whole Shiva`and friends stores from the same period of the time, but another part of the word...

“Ancient Aliens” there is an TV- series named,
Trick

Postby Steve James on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:06 am

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:06 am

here is the link to the H block reconstruction/model found in Puma Punku

https://goo.gl/images/bhBryc
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:14 am

You know Steve,
for ex,:
If we consider quality of the carving blocks from Puma Punku - simple impossible for stone age peps to do.
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:28 am

In the video series we have lot of guessing and I would say -kind of "bending theory" here and there,
BUT
some of the archeological s artifacts has quite heavy meaning.
wiesiek
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic