RIP JOHN McCAINE

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: RIP JOHN McCAINE

Postby windwalker on Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:18 pm

Steve James wrote:
He criticized a man who happened to be a vet...expressing his opinion on an event that happened with the persons service.

Yeah, he said that he liked people who didn't get caught; so he couldn't call McCain a hero. Of course,he has a right to his opinion. However, no one said he didn't.

In fact, you're the one who started complaining about Ken's opinion.

an observation about his post to him, which you interjected yourself. Now characterizing the observation as a complaint.

He was just expressing his view. He didn't mention you. Yet, you're now talking about him and "others." And, no one has said you shouldn't have your opinion. I just pointed out that lots of people disagree.
I am sure he can speak for himself why not allow him to do so if he chooses. Are you speaking for him, yourself, or in behalf of him

I'm sure that you or someone will be able to point out McCain's flaws. Go right ahead and set the record straight in a week or so. It's your right.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby KEND on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:25 am

As usual ww you have to get the last word in. I listened today to his daughters eulogy, a little too long but from the heart. As I said previously I often disagreed with his policies but admire him as a man. To answer your question he had integrity and honor a rarity in this political arena filled [on the left and the right] with self serving hypocrites, craven, trading their honor for a handful of silver
KEND
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:41 pm

KEND wrote:As usual ww you have to get the last word in.Usually a response requires one, its called a discussion I listened today to his daughters eulogy, a little too long but from the heart. As I said previously I often disagreed with his policies but admire him as a man. To answer your question he had integrity and honor a rarity in this political arena filled [on the left and the right] with self serving hypocrites, craven, trading their honor for a handful of silver

What he had is a matter of opinion, my point was that there are
many threads in which to talk about the perceived political failings of others, left and right.

He lived a life that reached it's end. Something we all do.
He will be remembered as part of American history.

How he will be remembered depends on ones view point

thanks for making yours clear.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:51 am

I know little about this, but what makes a man a “war hero” ? He served in the Vietnam war? What heroic act did he do ? I guess most Americans, both those who where in the action and those who where back home believed their country took part of it for the greater good, and maybe it was for a greater good too? But then all the American boys that took part in that war are “war heroes ? ....Longtime politicians at the very top of politics possessing integrity and honor, well maybe some do, but hard to believe. It’s interesting when people say such thing, He is such a great guy, He’s such a honorable guy, when the closest one has been to the guy was watching him on the telly. Not saying that to point at anyone on this forum, it’s just an general observation......Anyway John McCaine has passed, may he R.I.P.
Trick

Postby windwalker on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:15 am

Trick wrote:I know little about this, but what makes a man a “war hero” ? He served in the Vietnam war? What heroic act did he do ? I guess most Americans, both those who where in the action and those who where back home believed their country took part of it for the greater good, and maybe it was for a greater good too?

But then all the American boys that took part in that war are “war heroes ? ....Longtime politicians at the very top of politics possessing integrity and honor, well maybe some do, but hard to believe. It’s interesting when people say such thing, He is such a great guy, He’s such a honorable guy, when the closest one has been to the guy was watching him on the telly. Not saying that to point at anyone on this forum, it’s just an general observation......Anyway John McCaine has passed, may he R.I.P.

It is interesting on how many and the media who criticized him while alive eulogise him in death.

As noted there are many who were captured and held as POWs mostly unknown
to the gen public. For example

"Floyd J. Thompson, 69; Held Longest of Any U.S. POW. Col. Floyd J. Thompson, who endured nearly nine years of torture, disease and starvation in Vietnam as the longest-held prisoner of war in American history, has died. He was 69.Jul 19, 2002"

"Thompson spent the next nine years (3,278 days) as a prisoner of war, first at the hands of the Viet Cong in the South Vietnam jungles, until he was moved in 1967 to the Hanoi prison system.[5] During his captivity, he was tortured, starved, and isolated from other American POWs.[6] At one point, Thompson did not speak to another American for over five years. He was released with the other POWs in mid-March 1973 in Operation Homecoming.
Return to the United States"

Bad war for the US,,Bad for the vietnamese.

Comments reflected my thoughts on some of the comments here using a mans death to comment
on perceived political short comings or faults of others.

Felt it kind of cheapened it...
as someone pointed out everyone has an opinion.

Notable Vietnam-era POWs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._pris ... ietnam_War

transferred to Hỏa Lò prison.
Notable Vietnam-era POWs
Donald Cook (Medal of Honor), USMC military advisor with the South Vietnamese Marine Corps. Awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously.
Everett Alvarez, Jr., USN pilot, the first American airman shot down over North Vietnam and the second longest held prisoner of war in American history.
Lawrence Barbay, USAF navigator/electronics warfare officer, prisoner for nearly 7 years, recipient of the Silver Star
John L. Borling, USAF pilot, retired Major General.
Charles G. Boyd, USAF pilot, recipient of the Air Force Cross, and the only Vietnam-era POW to reach the four-star rank.
Fred V. Cherry, veteran of the Korean War, recipient of the Air Force Cross, and the senior African American prisoner held in North Vietnam.
George Coker, USN bombardier-navigator, recipient of the Navy Cross.
Bud Day, USAF pilot, recipient of both the Medal of Honor and the Air Force Cross.
Billy Davis, USA held by the Viet Cong from October 1971 until escaping in November 1971.
Dieter Dengler, USN pilot, escaped a Pathet Lao prison camp in Laos, recipient of the Navy Cross.
Jeremiah Denton, USN pilot, recipient of the Navy Cross, former U.S. Senator from Alabama.
John P. Flynn, USAF pilot, retired Lieutenant General and recipient of the Air Force Cross.
John Frederick, USMC radar intercept officer, veteran of four wars, recipient of the Navy Cross. Died in captivity in 1972.
Larry Guarino, USAF pilot, veteran of three wars, recipient of the Air Force Cross.
Sam Johnson, USAF pilot, veteran of the Korean and Vietnam Wars, member of the U.S. House of Representatives.
James H. Kasler, USAF pilot, veteran of three wars, jet ace during the Korean War, and the only individual to be awarded the Air Force Cross three times.
Richard P. Keirn, USAF pilot, prisoner of war in both World War II and the Vietnam War.
William P. Lawrence, USN pilot, Vice Admiral; Commander U.S. Third Fleet, Superintendent of U.S. Naval Academy.
John McCain, former USN pilot, former U.S. Senator from Arizona, and the 2008 Republican presidential nominee.
Pete Peterson, USAF pilot, three-term member of the U.S. House of Representatives, and the first U.S. Ambassador to Vietnam.
Jon Reynolds, USAF pilot, retired Brigadier General.
Robinson Risner, USAF pilot, retired Brigadier General, two-time recipient of the Air Force Cross.
Robert H. Shumaker, USN pilot, retired Rear Admiral.
Lance Sijan, USAF pilot, and posthumous recipient of the Medal of Honor. Died in captivity in 1968.
James Stockdale, USN pilot, retired Vice Admiral, and recipient of the Medal of Honor.
Ronald E. Storz, USAF pilot, recipient of the Air Force Cross. Died in captivity in 1970.
Orson Swindle, USMC pilot, former Commissioner of the Federal Trade Commission.
Floyd Thompson, USA Special Forces, POW for nearly nine years, and the longest held prisoner of war in American history.
Leo K. Thorsness, USAF pilot, recipient of the Medal of Honor.
James N. Rowe, USA Special Forces, held by the Viet Cong from October 1963 until escaping in December 1968.
Charles Klusmann, the first American airman shot down in the Vietnam War over Laos and the first to escape.
William A. Robinson, (USAF Ret.), the longest-held enlisted POW of the Vietnam War, recipient of the Air Force Cross.
Ralph T. Browning, USAF pilot, retired Brigadier General, Silver Star recipient
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby bailewen on Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:22 pm

windwalker wrote:
It is interesting on how many and the media who criticized him while alive eulogise him in death.

As far as I can tell, it's just the only decent thing to do.

I didn't agree with his politics either. I am a solidly left-wing progressive. But the man has passed. He clearly was a man of principle, a man who admitted his mistakes in public on occasion, a rare thing.

As far as his politics, I'd say that McCain was "a decent family man, a citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues."

RIP
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic