neverware

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

neverware

Postby windwalker on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:33 pm

For those looking to try the Chrome OS
this may be a good way to try it on an old pc

https://www.neverware.com/freedownload

windwalker
Wuji

Re: neverware

Postby greytowhite on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:57 am

I used it for about a month. It's not quite stable and the app selection really sucks. I'd have to restart my whole machine if I lost network connectivity. Also my touchpad didn't work fully.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:28 pm

you don't mention what kind of pc you used...most of what I've read about it seems to be positive.

Google invests in Neverware, a startup that’s turning dead PCs into Chromebooks

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/11/164 ... -refurbish

For those looking to get a chrome book or have an old pc for a relative it might workout as either a good preview
or something that a kid or older person could use that's very easy and straightforward...
I've found it to be very interesting, makes one really think about what they need and use a pc for...

Neverware, a New York City-based startup with a software platform that converts legacy computers into Chromebooks, announced today that it has raised a new round of investment led by Google. It won’t say the exact amount, but it will likely be more than the $6.5 million it raised in its last round.

The synergy between the two parties is obvious. CloudReady is built on the same open-source technology as Google’s Chrome OS. IT teams from corporations or schools that decide to use Neverware also get to leverage integration with ChromeEnterprise through Google’s cloud-based Admin console, simplifying and unifying remote management of the disparate models in their fleets.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:49 am

been using neverware and a chromebook for a year or so.

neverware - run it from a usb stick (really old pcs will not be compatible) to give it a try.

chromebook - you can get one for $200-280 here in the us. highly recommended. as long as you don't need to do heavy gaming, video editing, programming on a local machine, you're good. 99% or more of your use cases are probably browser-based and that's what this machine is, basically. runs fast as not a bloated OS or bloated with apps. uses "blue/green" updating where two copies of the OS are always there. One gets updated in the background. You just have to restart to apply the updates (takes about 10s or less). fantastic machine.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic