TV Shows you love to hate

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: TV Shows you love to hate

Postby Trick on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:47 am

oragami_itto wrote:I pretty much hate all reality shows. Anything that is built around people being horrible to each other is not worth watching.

Not reality but Celebrity Deathmatch was fun, to see them tear each other apart like that.................... 8-)
Trick

Postby jimmy on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:24 am

I fucking love Springer.

jimmy
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:12 pm

Trick wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:I pretty much hate all reality shows. Anything that is built around people being horrible to each other is not worth watching.

Not reality but Celebrity Deathmatch was fun, to see them tear each other apart like that.................... 8-)

Well, fiction... I mean, I LOVE always sunny in philidelphia. But shit like "real housewives" just ugh no thanks
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:55 pm

Reality tv is fake. The problem is that the real fun is in watching lots of people fail, be hated, lose, or argue, on one hand-- and on the other hand watching a few people go from rags to riches. But, they're not presented as fiction. It's like professional wrestling versus sports entertainment. Nowadays, everybody knows how pro-wrestling is fake. They just enjoy the show.

People love to hate villains, and actors who played villains were the most popular, even though some fans might hate one enough to attack him. You'd think that if people didn't like a character, they wouldn't watch.; but, it's just the opposite. Every reality show depends on one character who's so unlikable that people can't stop talking about her, or him.

Of course back in the day, there were game shows. But, there weren't any villains. In fact, everyone tried to out-nice each other. I'd still rather watch a rerun of Match Game 76 or To Tell the Truth from 1965 than the Cashdashians, Big Brother, or (Un) Real Housewives.

Otoh, there are a lot of good shows on streaming and network. Actually, there are too many to watch, which imo is why bingeing is so popular. It's interesting that back in the days when there were few reruns, you'd have to see a show or miss it entirely. Almost everyone watching tv was watching the same thing at the same time. Reminds me of "The Fugitive" finale. Everyone was waiting to see him catch the "one-armed man." They'd be watching week after week for years previously; and the real villain was the policeman chasing the hero.

That's why people used to watch; to see the villain get his due. The thing is, the way the shows work is that the villain doesn't get caught. He can't or the show's over.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic