The SUPREMES

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The SUPREMES

Postby KEND on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:14 am

Watched the supremes nomination proceedings today. My, what a show. The southern senators defending the nominations looked like central casting slave owners, I fully expected one to call Corey Booker 'boy' for daring to question him. Anyway a group of democrats threatened to release papers concerning the nominee even if they were breaking the rules of the senate. Apparently trump nominated an attorney called burke[no giggles from the brits] to decide which papers should be released, he released about 7% . burke incidentally is steve bannons attorney---nuff said. Watching this I felt that this is a highly disfunctional gathering where the strong bully the weak and any semblance of democracy has long since disappeared. That a lifetime appointee to the highest court in the land is chosen in this fashion is a travesty, apart from why it is a lifetime appointment unlike any other office
KEND
Great Old One

Re: The SUPREMES

Postby Steve James on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 am

it is a lifetime appointment unlike any other office

Ted Cruz once argued against having a Supreme Court when a decision went against him. Before the 2016 election, he was among those who said they'd simply refuse to appoint a new justice if Hillary won. Here's the story:

WASHINGTON Texas Sen. Ted Cruz is raising the possibility that Republicans would decline to fill the Supreme Court’s vacancy if Democrat Hillary Clinton is elected president.

Cruz is the second Republican to suggest that the GOP will simply block any Democratic nominee to replace the late Justice Antonin Scalia, who died in February. Arizona Sen. John McCain made a similar assertion earlier this month.

Speaking to reporters while campaigning for Republicans on Wednesday, Cruz was asked about Supreme Court vacancies.

“There will be plenty of time for debate on that issue, there is long historical precedent for a Supreme Court with fewer justices, just recently Justice (Stephen) Breyer observed that the vacancy is not impacting the ability of the court to do its job, that’s a debate that we are going to have,” Cruz said, in a quote later provided by his office.

When Trump won, however, Cruz said he wouldn't turn it down if he were nominated to the SC. Ok, he's also "Lyin' Ted," the guy whose father, according to Trump, was involved in the Kennedy assassination. But, now he's asking for Trump's support in his senatorial bid.

Unfortunately, there is no reason to believe that anyone Trump nominates for anything will not lie about everything, and he'll be sworn in anyway.

The whole idea behind giving justices lifetime appointments was that they wouldn't be beholding to a political party. Nowadays, ya gotta be. There's no more checks and balances, only loyalty.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:40 pm

KEND wrote:Watched the supremes nomination proceedings today. My, what a show. The southern senators defending the nominations looked like central casting slave owners, I fully expected one to call Corey Booker 'boy' for daring to question him. Anyway a group of democrats threatened to release papers concerning the nominee even if they were breaking the rules of the senate. Apparently trump nominated an attorney called burke[no giggles from the brits] to decide which papers should be released, he released about 7% . burke incidentally is steve bannons attorney---nuff said. Watching this I felt that this is a highly disfunctional gathering where the strong bully the weak and any semblance of democracy has long since disappeared. That a lifetime appointee to the highest court in the land is chosen in this fashion is a travesty, apart from why it is a lifetime appointment unlike any other office

A simple point and you don't understand it ?

You do understand what advise and consent means, the main function being to see if the candidate is qualified for the job,
not choose which candidate it should be

This might help explain some things and help you to understand your feelings....sounds like you have a lot of built up anxiety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV4Eje6 ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:55 pm

KEND wrote:Watched the supremes nomination proceedings today. My, what a show. The southern senators defending the nominations looked like central casting slave owners, I fully expected one to call Corey Booker 'boy' for daring to question him. Anyway a group of democrats threatened to release papers concerning the nominee even if they were breaking the rules of the senate. Apparently trump nominated an attorney called burke[no giggles from the brits] to decide which papers should be released, he released about 7% . burke incidentally is steve bannons attorney---nuff said. Watching this I felt that this is a highly disfunctional gathering where the strong bully the weak and any semblance of democracy has long since disappeared. That a lifetime appointee to the highest court in the land is chosen in this fashion is a travesty, apart from why it is a lifetime appointment unlike any other office

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3rsU1V ... e=youtu.be

He says all this while knowing that

"We cleared the documents last night shortly after Senator Booker's staff asked us to.," Burck said. "We were surprised to learn about Senator Booker's histrionics this morning because we had already told him he could use the documents publicly. In fact, we have said yes to every request made by the Senate Democrats to make documents public." https://www.businessinsider.com/cory-bo ... ase-2018-9

his team asked for and received them ahead of show time... ... :-\
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic