Chiyonofuji

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Chiyonofuji

Postby aamc on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:10 pm

A great documentary around Chiyonofuji. I had not realised he'd passed away in 2010. I was very lucky to see him in 1991, when Sumo came to the U.K

aamc
Wuji

Re: Chiyonofuji

Postby Trick on Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:14 am

It say on the Wiki he passed in 2016 ? I’ve never seen Sumo live but found it quite interesting to watch when Eurosport began showing it in the early nineties if I remember right. I got the understanding there are quite long ritual performances before every bout and that they didn’t show on the TV otherwise one have had to sit all day watching ? But the bouts are very quick to finish. I like the simple ruleset of the fights.
....However the wrestlers lifestyle or eating habits can’t be the healthiest way, kidneys and liver must take a heavy toll. I read some wrestlers inject insulin to increase their appetite, kinda dangerous I think.
Trick

Re: Chiyonofuji

Postby nicklinjm on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:32 am

I think Chiyonofuji had retired by the time I started watching sumo (when it was occasionally shown on UK TV). Interesting documentary, especially for the fact that he defeated many much heavier opponents throughout his career. Voiceover is pretty stilted and overly formal, and it would have been nice to see some of his earlier bouts, when he apparently favoured more throwing techniques.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic