Nurmagomedov vs McGregor [SPOILERS]

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Nurmagomedov vs McGregor

Postby GrahamB on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:08 am

All my eastern European friends were saying that Conor really did not want to be insulting a Chechen's family... those guys take that very seriously. I guess they weren't kidding!

Shot from Roy Nelson's angle:

https://www.facebook.com/roynelsonmma/v ... 153016903/

Guy in black looked like Zabit Magomedsharipov to me. I think (off camera) he goes to strike Conor first, Conor counters and knocks him back then guy in red pops Conor in the back of the head a couple of times.

It all looks kind of coordinated....
Last edited by GrahamB on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:17 am

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10/7/1 ... r-mma-news

"White also confirmed that three members of Khabib’s team have since been arrested by Las Vegas police, but McGregor decided not to press charges. Stay tuned to Bloody Elbow for more updates."
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:18 am

Nothing to see here - I'm sure those Russian dudes just wandered into the cage looking for the world famous Salisbury Cathedral... :)
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:44 am

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Nurmagomedov vs McGregor [SPOILERS]

Postby junglist on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:41 am

I lost all my respect for Khabib. I lost my respect for Conor a long time ago but yeah, I hope Tony Ferguson completely destroys Khabib in their fight. That is, if Khabib is able to fight in America again.
Last edited by junglist on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
junglist
Anjing

Postby Peacedog on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:01 am

To quote Ron Burgandy, "Well, that escalated quickly..."
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:05 am

Obviously, Khabib was taking comments about his family personally. It was unprofessional, but it's happened before with other fighters. The emotions took over; he's not evil. This doesn't change my opinion of Khabib one way or the other.

Conor was sucker punched, but so what? He's not going to file charges, and he made $300 million for losing. Dana will do nothing to Khabib because the controversy just makes a Khabib/Conor rematch more profitable. The more hated Khabib is, the more money from the pay-per-view. The comments about WWE are well-taken, true or not. Was Vince McMahon at the event? :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:38 am

Where I grew up (very close to Chechnya, both geographically and culturally), we didn't have "yo mama is so..." kinds of jokes. You just NEVER go there, ever, or you're immediately eligible for an all-out, very serious fight -- or sometimes even a blade in your side. I remember being completely stunned at that sort of humor here in the US when I first got here (25 years ago)... Had to make a big mental/cultural adjustment, in that regard. :)

Anyway, just so y'all know. That sort of thing is definitively, unquestionably, and unforgivably "crossing the line" where he grew up. So... yeah.
Last edited by Dmitri on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:46 am, edited 8 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:09 am

Steve James wrote:Obviously, Khabib was taking comments about his family personally. It was unprofessional, but it's happened before with other fighters. The emotions took over; he's not evil. This doesn't change my opinion of Khabib one way or the other.

Conor was sucker punched, but so what? He's not going to file charges, and he made $300 million for losing. Dana will do nothing to Khabib because the controversy just makes a Khabib/Conor rematch more profitable. The more hated Khabib is, the more money from the pay-per-view. The comments about WWE are well-taken, true or not. Was Vince McMahon at the event? :)

I didn't think it was that big of a deal when Khabib jumped out of the octagon, relative to Conor's past actions. I believe others have jumped out to celebrate a win. He confronted or attacked Dillon Danis (Conor's good friend and training partner) which there is no excuse. In November 2017, Conor jumped into a Bellator ring and shoved a referee, then in 2018 attacks the bus.

Khabib confronting Dillon Danis:
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/10 ... 9087340544

Skip2MyMMA
Published on Oct 7, 2018

Dana White UFC 229 Press Conference: Khabib Nurmagomedov & Conor McGregor post-fight brawl. Conor not pressing charges on Khabib's teammates (zubaira tukhugov, islam makhachev) but they will never fight in UFC again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryQEr_0Y82U

I don't understand. At post fight press conference, Khabib apologizes, but then walks off refusing to answer any media questions.

TheRingDigital
Published on Oct 7, 2018

In this video UFC Lightweight Champion Khabib Nurmagomedov talks about the post fight incident after his UFC 229 victory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEHCJUQ2ogk
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:27 am

Hey, what Khabib did was unprofessional, but human. Conor probably didn't have any bad feelings about Khabib's family. He was just trying to get inside Khabib's head and on his nerves. He did. That's why Khabib said he had no intentions of shaking hands after the bout. Lots of people thought that the fight would depend on how Khabib managed his nerves.

And, yeah, Conor has raised a ruckus in and outside the ring before.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:18 am

Don't watch. Complete spoiler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZiWm40mg7Q
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:39 pm

I subscribed to watch ufc 229 but was appalled when a fight broke out.

It's entertainment people and hype.

In the end the match went the way I expected (& hoped - yes I like khabib's no bullshit approach but do admire connors genetic freak arm length and how he uses it). Just annoyed I had to wait 2 years to see it.

The only surprise was seeing mcnuggets (gotta love cookie Ferguson for that one) get outpunched. Connor was not at his peak.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby middleway on Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:53 am

Connor was not at his peak.

I think Connor had a better camp for this fight than any other he has undertaken. He was not doing loads of promo etc and was fully focused on being his very best. I think we saw his best ... but in the face of Khabib that best didnt look as good. Khabib is a different animal and was not phased by Connors (and that asshat Dillon Danis') trash talking, he just got mad. The result was that at the end of the fight he went after Danis.

Knowing a few people from that part of the world, and how little sense of humour they have for insults to their family or country, To quote Nate Diaz ... "I'm Not suprised M***** Fuc****"

UFC has rankings that mean absolutely nothing, if someone has a bigger mouth, they get bigger fights. They literally reward behaivior that can lead to this situation... if anyone is to blame, IMO, its the UFC and their current business model.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:13 am

I think Conor looked the worst I've seen him in this fight. He was just flat. Literally flat, of course, since he was on the bottom of a pounding from Kabib, but also just didn't have the same pop he used to have standing.

He's been doing a lot of business at the same time as training for this camp - launching a whisky label, etc.. you just can't have the same drive to train once you're a millionaire. The same old story, I guess.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:33 am

He's been doing a lot of business at the same time as training for this camp - launching a whisky label, etc.. you just can't have the same drive to train once you're a millionaire. The same old story, I guess.

Good point, for someone so interested in cash, now he has it i guess the drive to fight isnt particularly there. I dont think if he was 100% commited to his fight prep we would have seen anything much different though tbh.

He is talking about the re-match already, but i cant see any reason Khabib would take that on. He isnt as motivated by money like many.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic