Less Lethal Weapons--I want your ideas

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Less Lethal Weapons--I want your ideas

Postby Michael on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:59 am

Here's my 007 / DARPA suggestion. Instead of opening your lady's cosmetics full of facial cream, inside would be a laser guided drone swarm of insect-sized flyers that gather around the target's eyes in order to obscure his vision. For non-ladies, your vaping device or perhaps a faux-smartphone battery case will serve the same purpose. Black Mirror version, available at an extra charge, would be programmed to penetrate cranial orifices.
Michael

Postby klonk on Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Michael wrote:Here's my 007 / DARPA suggestion. Instead of opening your lady's cosmetics full of facial cream, inside would be a laser guided drone swarm of insect-sized flyers that gather around the target's eyes in order to obscure his vision. For non-ladies, your vaping device or perhaps a faux-smartphone battery case will serve the same purpose. Black Mirror version, available at an extra charge, would be programmed to penetrate cranial orifices.

Project Blackflies has my support, but only in its more benign version. I would suggest it for development to the appropriate people, only no one knows who those are.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:36 pm

Michael wrote:Here's my 007 / DARPA suggestion. Instead of opening your lady's cosmetics full of facial cream, inside would be a laser guided drone swarm of insect-sized flyers that gather around the target's eyes in order to obscure his vision. For non-ladies, your vaping device or perhaps a faux-smartphone battery case will serve the same purpose. Black Mirror version, available at an extra charge, would be programmed to penetrate cranial orifices.

Don’t worry, nothing suspicious if someone named for example Michael carries stuff seemingly being or actually being (lady’s)cosmetics………Next 007 don’t care if he’s a she or vice versa, or something like that.
Trick

Postby Michael on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:51 am

Trick wrote:

Don’t worry, nothing suspicious if someone named for example Michael carries stuff seemingly being or actually being (lady’s)cosmetics………Next 007 don’t care if he’s a she or vice versa, or something like that.

I'm really not even sure if I'm allowed to say lady any longer ::) :D .

I saw Venom last night and was shocked at a brief hallway scene, where an apparent 'man' was smooching on an apparent 'woman' (as if an expository disclosure of this oppressive false binary was going to be a sub-plot, but no), and then I remembered the film was made by Tencent Productions. So I guess the CCP does not allow either time travel in their plot lines, nor infinite genderism. I've also heard the Uighur cultural enrichment centers only have two types bathrooms—-yet more backwardness from the Year Zero Project!

Further influences of Mr. Pooh on the film were that the (apparent) female shopkeeper in San Francisco Chinatown spoke Mandarin, not Cantonese, to her triad extortionist. Way to break through the linguistic stereotypes!

And the two main characters in the Marvel show were using QQ :o ??? as their primary chat application on their smartphones, although everyone in the mainland knows QQ is not a grown-up's app; it's what progressive mainland Chinese parents force their kids to use until they're old enough for Wechat.
Last edited by Michael on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby Michael on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:56 am

klonk wrote:

Project Blackflies has my support, but only in its more benign version. I would suggest it for development to the appropriate people, only no one knows who those are.

They who are with security clearances shall cast the first drone swarm?
Michael

Postby Peacedog on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:34 am

Actually I think I've come up with the ultimate less lethal weapon.

Gentlemen, I present the bitch slap.

A loosely held wrist, a long windup and a loud sound all contribute to this awesome weapon.

See below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw9-xVCmLP0

While never fatal, it does often make you want to die. It robs an attacker of all will power and may result in the recipient wetting their pants in shame.

It does this by saying, "I don't take you seriously enough to punch you in the face."
Last edited by Peacedog on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 am

Limited range is a drawback.
Michael

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:41 am

An interesting topic, although it seems as though the best non-lethal weapon for some here would be forced decoupling from the internet. The horrors of the imagined reality seem unbearable.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:47 am

We might look at this starting from unarmed martial arts. The surest fight stopper (less lethal) is to cause unconsciousness. It can be done with various knockout blows to head or neck, or with a choke, or by John Wang's method, modify your throw so that the bad guy lands striking his head. (Yikes!)

A step down from those is an incapacitating action such as a blow to the liver, or hitting a nerve point that causes a spasmodic response (such as the one you can hit high up on the opponent's ribs under his arm), or knocking the wind out of the opponent.

The desired outcome is to take away the bad guy's ability to use whatever weapon he has. If we can think of a way to do that at a distance, with a portable weapon that people can use effectively under time pressure and psychological stress, we would end up with fewer dead people for the coroner's office to cart off and the press to bemoan.
Last edited by klonk on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:12 pm

Refining my thinking a bit, perhaps we can narrow it down to processes causing unconsciousness by action upon the brain, and to those producing the shock of deep organ disturbance, such as the liver blow produces. A distance weapon that does either of those things would answer our purpose here.

The range of the weapon need not be very great. Law enforcement stats suggest an average distance of seven yards in defensive shootings and ranges beyond 15 yards are quite unlikely.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:21 pm

A special, modified gun, that can only fire non-lethal projectiles, designed, sold and regulated by the TSA.
Michael

Postby .Q. on Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:31 pm

klonk wrote:We need something that will stop 'em and can be carried with few restrictions

Seems like a contradictory requirement. Mace, knives, etc. will stop most people but if you have no restrictions it can lead to a lot of issues. Personally I'd love to be able to walk around w/ a pair of deer horn knives but understand the reason why I'm not allowed.
If you're good w/ a slingshot I can see it doing serious damage from afar. If you train seriously I suppose some ninja stars can also be quite dangerous.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:13 pm

.Q. wrote:
klonk wrote:We need something that will stop 'em and can be carried with few restrictions

Seems like a contradictory requirement. Mace, knives, etc. will stop most people but if you have no restrictions it can lead to a lot of issues. Personally I'd love to be able to walk around w/ a pair of deer horn knives but understand the reason why I'm not allowed.
If you're good w/ a slingshot I can see it doing serious damage from afar. If you train seriously I suppose some ninja stars can also be quite dangerous.

One of the Houston guys has developed this for a stealth weapon. Steel cane for blunt impact with a hollow handle that would probably gouge flesh well

https://arcanecane.com
Last edited by origami_itto on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:37 pm

oragami_itto wrote: One of the Houston guys has developed this for a stealth weapon. Steel cane for blunt impact with a hollow handle that would probably gouge flesh well
https://arcanecane.com

Since I'm not old enough to be walking around with a cane without arousing suspicion, this would be better:
https://unbreakableumbrella.com/unbreak ... -standard/

Though I lose umbrellas all the time and I'd be terrified of losing something this expensive.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:41 pm

I was dead serious about baseballs --which are capable of knocking someone out at seven yards. So, in a situation like a club where someone starts shooting, a few dozen balls thrown at a perp would at least confuse his aim until ... And, that's the thing, unless someone gets close enough to use his hands (or a hand weapon), the perp will keep shooting.

Of course, this is true for someone with a knife or club. In an attack, someone will have to go forward. Btw, I think a beer bottle or a shot glass would work just as well. Of course, this strategy works best when a lot of people (or everyone) is prepared to react in the same way. The more people who act, the sooner the threat can be eliminated.

Maybe the question should be what form of non-lethal weapon we carry around. Hmm, at night, I do carry my "tactical" flashlight. It will blind someone temporarily if it's dark. Other than that, I have my Swiss army knife.,:)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic