Less Lethal Weapons--I want your ideas

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Less Lethal Weapons--I want your ideas

Postby klonk on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:57 pm

Recent trend in discussion over in the "Shooting of the Week" thread has got me thinking it is time someone invented a weapon of the less-lethal type that is better than what we now have.

We need new thinking, a new weapon. We need something that will stop 'em and can be carried with few restrictions so that the weapon is there when and where needed.

So I'm putting the question out there, asking you all for new ideas. You are in a bar or club, you have no gun, some lunatic mass murder storms in shooting people, so you draw your (fill in the blank) and put him down with it.

Rules: None, but note that the DOJ has already determined that less lethal weapons need not be guaranteed non-lethal. They just need to stack the deck in favor of the malefactor's survival.

Tasers, bean bags, sprays, pepper balls, rubber bullets, all are a lot less certain to stop a deadly threat than the handgun is. Not infrequently, the cops end up shooting someone after trying tasers or beanbags first. So we can count those as technology that is inadequate for the purpose here under discussion.

So, start brainstorming. Something like this could save many lives.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Less Lethal Weapons--I want your ideas

Postby windwalker on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:10 pm

klonk wrote:So, start brainstorming. Something like this could save many lives.

The Army has been looking at this for a long time. The problem is that with anything that is non leathly for most
might be for some. They should bring this to the border...good testing ground, real time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmuyLIrSjxI
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:25 pm

“Fill in the blank” - sonic ray gun, or anyone of the other DEW guns I have in my holster. “DEW”- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directed- ... am_weapons
Trick

Postby Trick on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:34 pm

There was the story that Karate masters in Okinawa had to register their fists as lethal weapons. I’ll guess this would count for us GongFu masters too. So chargin in with the fists flying could be a lethal business and not to be considered in th OP scenario:)
Trick

Postby Finny on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:48 am

Trick wrote:
“Fill in the blank” - sonic ray gun...

Finny
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:22 am

Blinding them with a laser is permanent but not lethal. That might be an option.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:09 pm

It basically becomes a legal chase.

Rules vary depend greatly with location regarding what is and what is not considered permissible.

For example, flash bangs are considered destructive devices and as such are largely unavailable to the general public. Despite the fact that they are non-lethal. Yet, I can get CS pellets for a paintball gun and get CS grenades.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:16 pm

When someone is trying to kill me, there's no need for a "less lethal" solution. That's especially true if the perpetrator is not planning to survive anyway.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:17 pm

"Rules: None, but note that the DOJ has already determined that less lethal weapons need not be guaranteed non-lethal. They just need to stack the deck in favor of the malefactor's survival."

I think you may have missed the point in a lehal situation the malefactors survival is not taking into consideration
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:06 pm

I think you may have missed the point in a lehal situation the malefactors survival is not taking into consideration

I'm just saying that there's not really many non-lethal counters to a bullet. The question is how to respond if one doesn't have something equivalent. In that case, one must use the most lethal weapon available. If it's a gun, the answer is obvious, isn't it?

But, I think the premise is that there should be a firearm available. If there's a firearm available, then one has the option to consider a less lethal alternative. I don't disagree that a firearm would help. I'd want one in that case. The question is whether this would stop mass shootings or just limit the body count.

I tend to think that addressing the reasons people do these acts would go further as far as prevention. Next would be strategies for survival. So, I think that the discussion is valuable.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:17 pm

In the disney movie "The Incredibles" the villain uses an interesting method to catch the protaganist. Basically foam/glue spheres that expand slowly after sticking to them.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:25 pm

OI,

I think there are some riot control agents that work that way. I would imagine the delivery device is probably pretty unwieldy thought.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Yeah probably something better suited to riot control with a vehicle mount or something. Really cool idea though, like a glue trap.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Fart in their general direction
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:08 pm

oragami_itto wrote:Yeah probably something better suited to riot control with a vehicle mount or something. Really cool idea though, like a glue trap.

Every club goer get “tagged” with “glue filled” bracelets that are remotely controlled by club security to be able to burst open and glue/foam cover the hands of an gun wielding hooligan ?
Trick

Next

Return to Off the Topic