Less Lethal Weapons--I want your ideas

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Less Lethal Weapons--I want your ideas

Postby Michael on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:29 pm

The range demonstrated in use of this weapon by upstanding freedom fighters in the 33 second video shown below is not ideal, but the device does meet all other requirements. If the concealment of Brollydring (that means oppression-crusher in Ancient Elvish) could be merged with the range of a Chinese nine-section chain dart, then I believe you'd have a weener.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwE620VkaD0
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:44 pm

Here are some suitable weapons I found in what might be the best museum in all of mainland China, Hulishan, located near Xiamen. This museum feels like the property master's warehouse at Shaw Brothers Studios.

https://imgur.com/a/bTtEDaP
Last edited by Michael on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby klonk on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:43 am

windwalker wrote:"Rules: None, but note that the DOJ has already determined that less lethal weapons need not be guaranteed non-lethal. They just need to stack the deck in favor of the malefactor's survival."

I think you may have missed the point in a lehal situation the malefactors survival is not taking into consideration

Oh, my motivations in asking are not altogether altruistic. There are places where you can't carry purposely lethal weapons legally, and there are some people who won't carry such things for moral or whatever other reasons, even if they may do so licitly. I want us to come up with an equalizer for such situations.
Last edited by klonk on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:29 am

klonk wrote:Oh, my motivations in asking are not altogether altruistic. There are places where you can't carry purposely lethal weapons legally, and there are some people who won't carry such things for moral or whatever other reasons, even if they may do so licitly. I want us to come up with an equalizer for such situations.

An NYPD officer stands ready with the LRAD 500X at an Occupy Wall Street protest on November 17, 2011 near the city hall

Extremely high-power sound waves can disrupt or destroy the eardrums of a target and cause severe pain or disorientation. This is usually sufficient to incapacitate a person. Less powerful sound waves can cause humans to experience nausea or discomfort. The use of these frequencies to incapacitate persons has occurred both in anti-citizen special operation and crowd control settings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weapon

Sonic and ultrasonic weapons (USW) are weapons of various types that use sound to injure, incapacitate, or kill an opponent. Some sonic weapons are currently in limited use or in research and development by military and police forces. Some of these weapons have been described as sonic bullets, sonic grenades, sonic mines, or sonic cannons. Some make a focused beam of sound or ultrasound; some make an area field of sound.

This seems to have been used, is being used, just not widely used yet.
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:21 am

Hand out baseballs to everyone. Someone starts shooting, you know what to do.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:01 am

Trick wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:Yeah probably something better suited to riot control with a vehicle mount or something. Really cool idea though, like a glue trap.

Every club goer get “tagged” with “glue filled” bracelets that are remotely controlled by club security to be able to burst open and glue/foam cover the hands of an gun wielding hooligan ?

And you get it taken off when you pay your bill at the end of the night!
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby klonk on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Michael wrote:Here are some suitable weapons I found in what might be the best museum in all of mainland China, Hulishan, located near Xiamen. This museum feels like the property master's warehouse at Shaw Brothers Studios.

https://imgur.com/a/bTtEDaP

That collapsible lattice bian is clever! Sort of a different take on a collapsible baton.

A chain whip doubtless has its good points, but it calls for a skill I do not myself possess and it seems like it would be awkward to employ in a crowded setting. It does, though, have the advantage of great portability for the amount of reach it offers. So, let's put truncheons and chain whips into the candidate list, though I was hoping high tech would somehow bail us out of the problem.
Last edited by klonk on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:53 pm

windwalker wrote:
klonk wrote:Oh, my motivations in asking are not altogether altruistic. There are places where you can't carry purposely lethal weapons legally, and there are some people who won't carry such things for moral or whatever other reasons, even if they may do so licitly. I want us to come up with an equalizer for such situations.

An NYPD officer stands ready with the LRAD 500X at an Occupy Wall Street protest on November 17, 2011 near the city hall

Extremely high-power sound waves can disrupt or destroy the eardrums of a target and cause severe pain or disorientation. This is usually sufficient to incapacitate a person. Less powerful sound waves can cause humans to experience nausea or discomfort. The use of these frequencies to incapacitate persons has occurred both in anti-citizen special operation and crowd control settings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weapon

Sonic and ultrasonic weapons (USW) are weapons of various types that use sound to injure, incapacitate, or kill an opponent. Some sonic weapons are currently in limited use or in research and development by military and police forces. Some of these weapons have been described as sonic bullets, sonic grenades, sonic mines, or sonic cannons. Some make a focused beam of sound or ultrasound; some make an area field of sound.

This seems to have been used, is being used, just not widely used yet.

If the lab boys can work that down from truck size to holster size, we might have a winner!
klonk
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:25 pm

If you do a little research on it I believe there are either prototypes or units that are used as handheld weapons.

One of the problems with technology used in this way is one of liability. Anything that can stop a a person billed as not lethal, may be lethal to someone it stops who has unknown health issues or for whatever reason it doesn't work as advertised.

Tasers are good example of this were at times it is not effective in stopping a person or it kills a person with unknown health issues.

If we'er talking mass shooting incidents the major concern is to prevent more deaths form the shooter. As has been noted often times the shooter does not expect to live through the experience.

For me and the real issue however one may feel about it is the weapon itself and the legal right to own and possess the weapon. Guns kill things that's what they're designed to do.

Not a gun advocate nor do I care for them, but respect the right of others to have and own them legally.

People who do mass shootings on this scale have issues. Lacking guns they would just choose another weapon.

intervention before it happens is always the best case scenario but often not done because those closest to the person do not report it.
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:45 pm

A little off topic but something some may find interesting.

Used to work in something called combat developments.

The Russians in the seventies had a weapon that was designed to destroy the Optics of advanced weapontry.
A laser device that would pulse the laser destroying the Optics, intentionally,.

Unintentionally it was assumed , it also damaged the eye that was looking through a direct line of sight system at the time of the pulse.

This was never confirmed publicly but people who study these things noted a large amount of those in the area being blinded in one eye and animals in the area blinded.

The US started to build the same type of weapon but it was scrapped "publicly" due to concerns about the blindness it would cause when used on a Battlefield.
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:17 pm

allright, so, size of a flare gun maybe, but it fires a spiderweb style net with a set of weighted motorized pulleys scattered around the end. You fire it and they pull it out to spread it fully, then after it hits the target and wraps around, they start tightening the outer ring of the net. The gun holds three cartridges plus the one in the chamber but has to be reloaded manually.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:56 am

oragami_itto wrote:allright, so, size of a flare gun maybe, but it fires a spiderweb style net with a set of weighted motorized pulleys scattered around the end. You fire it and they pull it out to spread it fully, then after it hits the target and wraps around, they start tightening the outer ring of the net. The gun holds three cartridges plus the one in the chamber but has to be reloaded manually.

The tech is not developed yet "publicly" apparently others have and use it already...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzgrE1R5v9g

opps :-\ leave it to the japanese

looks like it needs a little work,
like the preditors net gun better....give em a little time.... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1JXhSYfLNE
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:16 am

Yeah more like the Japanese, but with tiny motors to close the open end.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:17 am

This also makes me think "bolo gun", shoots two rubber balls connected by rope or elastic
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:41 am

How about something that puts a person to sleep. I'm thinking about when I've watched large dangerous animals being knocked out by some sort of dart gun or something. Obviously you need something that works super fast. No idea if there's anything suitable but you see it in some spy movies :D
Last edited by cloudz on Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic