How about drinks

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: How about drinks

Postby klonk on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:34 pm

Trick, good job on the etymology. Americans of Scandinavian heritage call it "snoos" and Americans of hillbilly heritage refer to it as "dip."

As the plot thickens, I have a tin of Timber Wolf dip in my pocket; the brand is owned by Swedish Match, which offers also General Snus, but here we like dramatic brand names.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Yes I read up on that, the Swedish Match is a major player in the tobacco industry, i didn’t know that. But “General Snus” i have known very well since it was one of my two favorite brands - strong and with perfect moister so it’s easy to take a pinch that don’t fall apart - Ah, that hillbilly life :)
Trick

Postby klonk on Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:37 pm

I took a taste of Swedish aquavit. Before that, I did not know there were hillbillies in Sweden. White lightning is the same in any language.
Last edited by klonk on Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:11 pm

Aquavit is quite good and often to be spiced with different herbs that is to be soaked in the spirits for a lengthy time, to be drink as schnapps(snaps) while eating a good dinner such as at Christmas and Midsummer festivities. In my youth I would say “Raggare”would have been the closest to have been called hillbillies, their preferred spirits was(is?) Explorer Vodka, that will say if they hadn’t any home brew around. Explorer Vodka nowadays seem to be going for a higher market, I think it’s even to be found in the US
Trick

Postby wiesiek on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Guys,
I just like to warn you:
Our discussion drift to hard drug usage.
Yes, alcohol, although is present in human culture quite long time IS the hard drug!
You may compare it to heroine in terms of dependency, and is even worse in building social problems...
It is not my opinion, serious research /not only on Harvard was done years ago/ support it.
then ,
if you need, or like substance/s/ to alert your present day - use the reef ,
and relax
U may use the brownie if don`t like to smoke... -joint-

Unfortunately Governments around the word make lot of money from this cheap shit - compare cost of alc., production to market price.
Prohibition is not the answer , as US history clearly show,
so, I rant here little beat.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:56 pm

O,
and
I just get it - today is 31 December -
Happy New Year
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:58 pm

8-) try to not wrack yourself :D
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:41 am

Yes, wish you all a Happy New Year, let’s cork up that champagne -cheers ! ……………Wiesiek, It’s cider for you :)
Trick

Postby wiesiek on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:49 am

Thank You Trick
but
this year Eve I even don`t wet my lips in bublin`wine
hehe,
1st time from very long time I will go on water only 8-)
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:56 am

-cheer-
and
`cause we have here excellent air condition /very rare during this time of a year/
going out with the sword after the breakfast .
best
W
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:05 am

Klonk, many believe that there are a fine line between “hillbillies” and “raggare” and sometime there is. But in fact raggare is just a name of a culture of people like driving around and show off their old cars. I know a group in west of Sweden who are very well educated, loves art, music, culture and history. One of them was a terrific painter who used to breed tortoises and a few years would have an alligator as a pet. An extremely creative group of people who all loved their old vintage cars. 8-)
Last edited by Bao on Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:36 pm

The raggare sound like fun!
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:18 pm

Trick wrote:...Explorer Vodka, that will say if they hadn’t any home brew around. Explorer Vodka nowadays seem to be going for a higher market, I think it’s even to be found in the US

It is not in the shop around the corner, but they do sell Svedka and Absolut.

White lightning (a high strength white spirit made in low tech, old-fashioned ways) is sometimes infused with herbs for special occasions, or if the batch was not all that good. :D

klonk
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:00 am

Bao wrote:Klonk, many believe that there are a fine line between “hillbillies” and “raggare” and sometime there is. But in fact raggare is just a name of a culture of people like driving around and show off their old cars. I know a group in west of Sweden who are very well educated, loves art, music, culture and history. One of them was a terrific painter who used to breed tortoises and a few years would have an alligator as a pet. An extremely creative group of people who all loved their old vintage cars. 8-)

During the 80’s I happened to every now and then find myself mingle around at Raggar parties in my local area, the Raggar group in question was the one that later transformed to bikers to become the first HA group in Sweden. I must say it was quite fun occasion. One event I remember, they had invited another Raggar Organisation from west of Sweden, lots of beverages were consumed and I couldn’t understand a word of their “götebörska” dialect, but I’m quite sure I didn’t meet any scientist, musicians or masters of fine arts among them from the West at that meeting 8-)………later on at that “party” I found myself in the coffin area of an undertaker car(don’t know the English word for such a car but in Swedish it’s “likbil”), sure fun times 8-)
Trick

Postby klonk on Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:32 pm

Likbil == hearse. https://en.bab.la/dictionary/swedish-english/likbil

Hearses as used cars are interesting, they have been kept polished, usually have made only short journeys and are mostly of upscale make. I have thought that one would make a nice inexpensive camping vehicle with a place to sleep, but for whatever reason, pickup trucks with "caps" are more popular.

klonk
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic