What can we learn from people who succeed later in life?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

What can we learn from people who succeed later in life?

Postby everything on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:15 am

https://ideas.ted.com/what-can-we-learn ... r-in-life/

...There’s Alan Rickman, whose first movie role came at 46; Ray Kroc, who joined the McDonald’s franchise at 53; Nelson Mandela, who emerged after 27 years in jail and became his country’s president at 76. There’s Julia Child, who was 50 when she hosted her first TV show.

But these late-in-life successes had something else in common besides tenacity. Their pathways to success were guided by a hidden factor that unveiled itself throughout their careers.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: What can we learn from people who succeed later in life?

Postby Peacedog on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:42 am

There is usually some kind of life altering event involved. That said, most in this category were hyper successful before becoming famous. Anthony Bourdain is a case in point. Julia Childs was an OSS operative in WWII. Rodney Dangerfield didn't meet with success in comedy until his late 40's, but had been a successful salesman for decades previously.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:59 am

so kind of the 30 year overnight success story. yeah. working in tech, there is a lot of age-ism. I'm not a programmer (where the age-ism is probably most prevalent ... kinda pro sports type of dynamic of get the young fast athlete who can be paid less and has high potential ahead ), but this age-ism gives me some concern. it's good to read an article about people really doing more stuff in their 50s - 70s.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby klonk on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:00 pm

There seems to be some flavor in this of the very good advice of Billie Jean King. If you are consistently winning, never change your game. If you are consistently losing, always change your game.

I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:45 pm

haha yeah concise and simple but wise

as we all get older (I'm not a boomer - go GenX! - , but basically this is a huge demographic trend - and inevitable - so "all" is kinda not a huge exaggeration), hopefully it applies to all of us.

you kind of do figure out what you're more easily good at and not good at. striking, grappling, what have you. personally I'm so wired for doing analysis and not as wired for "creativity" (creative arts)
Last edited by everything on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:15 pm

Most successful people did the best things they are known for later in their lives. They earned most of their money later in life, wrote their most famous books or painted their most famous paintings later in life, etc. Most of them struggled very hard for a very long time to get to that point. The difference between successful people and not successful people, except for pure luck or being at the right time at the right place, is most often tenacity and that they never gave up. People learn sooner or later how to become successful, but it’s mostly about a learning process, that you need to learn how to become successful.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic