geniuses

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

geniuses

Postby everything on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:17 pm

Supposedly geniuses make more connections and think "productively" rather than "reproductively" (using some logic someone explained). Ordinary smart people think reproductively but faster than ordinary people. http://www.creativitypost.com/create/how_geniuses_think

Most people of average intelligence, given data or some problem, can figure out the expected conventional response. For example, when asked, "What is one-half of 13?" most of us immediately answer six and one-half. You probably reached the answer in a few seconds and then turned your attention back to the text.

Typically, we think reproductively, that is on the basis of similar problems encountered in the past. When confronted with problems, we fixate on something in our past that has worked before. We ask, "What have I been taught in life, education or work on how to solve the problem?" Then we analytically select the most promising approach based on past experiences, excluding all other approaches, and work within a clearly defined direction towards the solution of the problem. Because of the soundness of the steps based on past experiences, we become arrogantly certain of the correctness of our conclusion.

In contrast, geniuses think productively, not reproductively. When confronted with a problem, they ask "How many different ways can I look at it?", "How can I rethink the way I see it?", and "How many different ways can I solve it?" instead of "What have I been taught by someone else on how to solve this?" They tend to come up with many different responses, some of which are unconventional and possibly unique. A productive thinker would say that there are many different ways to express "thirteen" and many different ways to halve something. Following are some examples.
13 = 1 and 3
THIR TEEN = 4
XIII = 11 and 2
XIII = 8
(Note: As you can see, in addition to six and one half, by expressing 13 in different ways and halving it in different ways, one could say one-half of thirteen is 6.5, or 1 and 3, or 4, or 11 and 2, or 8, and so on.)With productive thinking, one generates as many alternative approaches as one can. You consider the least obvious as well as the most likely approaches. It is the willingness to explore all approaches that is important, even after one has found a promising one. Einstein was once asked what the difference was between him and the average person. He said that if you asked the average person to find a needle in the haystack, the person would stop when he or she found a needle. He, on the other hand, would tear through the entire haystack looking for all the possible needles.)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: geniuses

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:28 am

Nice!

Clearly not a genius over here -- can't even figure out the logic behind the last one, "XIII = 8"... How did they arrive at that one?
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:16 am

Awesome, I suck in math so now I can claim its because I am a genius. ;D
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:23 am

I've known and worked with two legitimate geniuses in my lifetime. One is semi-famous for data storage in special effects heavy film and the other is semi-famous in capacity building for the DoD/DoS. The second individual was also the youngest ever Johnson and Johnson VP who voluntarily left the organization to return to the DoD. These guys are the real thing.

I cannot speak to their mathematics abilities, but watching them work was a complete struggle. They were always half a dozen steps ahead. The hard part was getting them to slow it down enough so you could understand where they were going.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:16 am

Dmitri wrote:Nice!

Clearly not a genius over here -- can't even figure out the logic behind the last one, "XIII = 8"... How did they arrive at that one?

Halve XIII horizontally and read the top - VIII = 8
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:21 am

Normal person here as well. I can understand simple examples when they are explained.

One question is if ordinary psychologists can really make a test that is designed to be done with ordinary logic and show anything. If a kid gets 1600 on the SAT, s/he didn't miss a question so you don't really know much other than performance on a rather ordinary test. Can a non genius "measure" genius without understanding it?

If we can't understand the human brain is it because we are too smart or too stupid?

When you dream, one part of your brain invents the dream, and another part experiences it. Then some other part tries to make sense of it.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:49 am

oragami_itto wrote:

Oh dear god... Thanks. That's... reeeeeeally stretching it. What's the bottom half, then? "Halves" imply equality...
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:48 pm

Dmitri wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:

Oh dear god... Thanks. That's... reeeeeeally stretching it. What's the bottom half, then? "Halves" imply equality...

The part that is left over is ^III, so ^3, or eight cubed, which is about 512.

Or if you take the bottom half of the ten to be five also (ten cut in half) it becomes 8/8, which works out on my fingers to equal 1.

I am no genius, but I have challenged young professional programmers to try this trick: Think of three different ways of solving some problem you are working on. Explain which way is best. It's not always the first one you think of.
Last edited by klonk on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic