Shanghai Tips/Suggestions?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Shanghai Tips/Suggestions?

Postby grzegorz on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:43 am

Yes, stay away from all offers of anything on Nanjing Lu. If you want anything be sure you are initiating the sale. If anyone approaches you for anything you are a target. I blended in with my mix race background but I saw heard of many long time foreigners living in China get ripped off but on the other hand it goes with the territory, you are seen as a rich foreigner on their land.

Also Qing Hai food (Muslim) is also very good and everywhere. Start with the beef noodles.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:55 am

And there are the rando nutters... on Nanjing Lu.
Michael

Postby CheapBastid on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:14 am

you are seen as a rich foreigner on their land.

Anyone from the USA who can afford to go there on vacation is.
CheapBastid
Mingjing

Postby CheapBastid on Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:23 pm

The trip has solidified! Got a great deal on nonstop flights from/to LAX and a hotel for four nights for $1k!

Planning on being at People's Park most days, and I'll try to set up private sessions with Ramsey Dewey and see who else I might be able to meet with/play with.
Last edited by CheapBastid on Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CheapBastid
Mingjing

Postby vadaga on Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:57 pm

dont go to Nanjing Lu at all, there's nothing worth doing there... walking the bund ok but Nanjing Lu is a way overrated tourist trap
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby CheapBastid on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:33 am

Am I reading this right, that I may not need a visa if I'm travelling to Shanghai for five days?

http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPa ... 40&id=4414

***Edited to add: Nevermind. Looks like it's only if Shanghai is a stop on a longer trip:

"..produce his / her own valid international travel document and onward air / vessel / train ticket to a third country (region) with confirmed date and seat to the carrier’s agent..."
Last edited by CheapBastid on Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CheapBastid
Mingjing

Postby CheapBastid on Tue May 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Had a great time and pushed with dozens of folks in People's Park on May 1st.

Sadly Ramsey Dewey wasn't available and his Gym was still closed.
Last edited by CheapBastid on Tue May 14, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CheapBastid
Mingjing

Postby meeks on Wed May 15, 2019 7:42 am

I'd look forward to hearing of your exploits if you have anything you feel like sharing - food, locals, red lights, foot wash/leg massage, specific CMA guys in the parks ( very few remaining in post revolution IMO), etc...
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby CheapBastid on Wed May 15, 2019 4:51 pm

I was strongly advised against pushsing during the big May 1st gathering by several of the high level folks I met.

"People like to fight"
"You're likely going to injure someone or get injured"

...stuff like that.

I had trouble with being 'wrangled' in the past with native speakers, so I developed a strategy. I used Google Translate and came up with this:
玩推手时请帮助我们确保安全。
如果我们的脚移动,请停止。
如果我用手轻轻敲打你,停止 - 这意味着你锁定了我。

I had it full screened on my phone and with each person I met I humbly held it out to them with both hands.

It worked well enough to keep me from getting into fights.

=)

I don't know the names of the folks I played with (except for one: Liu YingWen who was a student of Wei Shuren) but the day went this way:

Arrived early and ran into a fairly strong/skilled local who had pushed with me the day before, he immediately dragged me to the biggest guy there (looked to about half my age - in his mid 20s). I did the phone thing, he nodded and we went at it.

I then got dragged to a new guy who was younger and taller, not quite as beefy, but plenty beefy enough, he read my phone, nodded and we went at it.

Needless to say the white guy pushing hands drew a crowd like a trained monkey playing piano.

Another fellow I'd met previously pulled me over to an ancient one, who read my phone, nodded and we went at it.

From my last trip in 2010 I adopted a 'strategy' that served me well, and I used it this time as well:

"This is their house, let them win and keep face. Once they calm down, gently neutralize and get their attention without pushing them out. Then see how it goes"

The energetic shift from young play to old play got an even bigger crowd to assemble. Then I was bounced between the bruisers and the frail.

Overall - everyone was very 'macho' and dominating was the key element in my encounters - except for one teacher who was strong, seasoned (likely in his 60s), yet mellow.
Last edited by CheapBastid on Wed May 15, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CheapBastid
Mingjing

Postby klonk on Wed May 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Michael wrote:And there are the rando nutters... on Nanjing Lu.

Wow. Reading through that post and its comments makes me think I am right not to leave "push" out of my ready response repertoire. Random angry nutters are not a particularly Chinese phenomenon, you can find them anywhere, but they tend to congregate in big cities, and of course Shanghai is the biggest city of all, anywhere...
Last edited by klonk on Wed May 15, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic