Enjoying those tax cuts yet?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Enjoying those tax cuts yet?

Postby grzegorz on Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:06 pm

grzegorz wrote:Watch "Trump Voters Turn On Him: We Trusted You!" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/p3xjn8oORZs

The billionaires are...

Watch "Abigail Disney on Trump’s Tax Cuts and the 1%" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/QzJZF3qau9w
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: Enjoying those tax cuts yet?

Postby grzegorz on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:15 pm

I owe $3,000!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:27 pm

grzegorz wrote:I owe $3,000!

Damn. I haven't done mine yet. Not expecting a tremendous swing but we'll see
Last edited by origami_itto on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:35 am

Yeah, they got us good!

Funny FOX is blaming people who are complaining for not saving. LOL! We will find the money but it's ironic that the neighborhoods I work in where people are doctors and lawyers and make a ton more than me had their taxes go down. For example, I deliver to houses where some people own two Teslas! I guess they really needed that tax break. Needless to say they striped away the protections I used to have. I can't imagine the burn I would feel if I voted for these politicians, being that $3,000 is a lot for us I'd pretty upset but being that I didn't vote for Trump I knew this whole experiment would be a disaster.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:24 am

Funny FOX is blaming people who are complaining for not saving.

Yeah, if a family that made 20K had put away the $10 per week extra from the tax "cut," they' may have saved enough to pay any tax bill. The problem is that if that family didn't use the $10 bucks per week for food or toward rent, what good was it? Of course the same is true if the paycheck goes up $200 per week. But, the $10 makes a much bigger difference to the low income family.

For most of my working life was claim an extra dependent on my W2, and then correct it when I did my taxes. That way, the "government" took more than I owed every week, and I'd get a refund. The opposite approach was to claim 0 and have less taken out. The idea was to save --or, ideally, invest-- the money and pay a tax bill later. That way money that was essentially being loaned to the "government" for free could be put to use.

But, that only works if a family has disposable income and can afford to save money. It doesn't take into account unexpected expenses that would eat up any savings. The US poverty rate for a family of four is about $25K. That's around $500 per month. They may have tvs, but they don't all have savings accounts. Anyway, this was advertised as a middle-class tax cut. "The poor and those who do not save their money will always be with us."

Otoh, this is the first year for this. Nobody knew exactly how it would work out. People who can afford to make a mistake this year will probably figure it out for next year. Affording it simply means being able to pay any tax bill that comes along. People who can't afford it will have to borrow money, at "reasonable" rates, of course. It's better than paying the IRS interest, but it doesn't allow much extra for savings.

Look on the bright side. At least now we've gotten rid of that oppressive estate tax (which could have paid for a wall, just like the one between the Koreas. That's another subject, but it ends up that any tax we pay now will go toward it).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:45 am

The US poverty rate for a family of four is about $25K. That's around $500 per month

You sure about that math, there? 25/12=2.08 last I checked.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:51 am

oragami_itto wrote:
The US poverty rate for a family of four is about $25K. That's around $500 per month

Oh, you're right. I meant per week.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:51 am

For most of my working life was claim an extra dependent on my W2, and then correct it when I did my taxes. That way, the "government" took more than I owed every week, and I'd get a refund. The opposite approach was to claim 0 and have less taken out. The idea was to save --or, ideally, invest-- the money and pay a tax bill later. That way money that was essentially being loaned to the "government" for free could be put to use.

The more dependents one claims during the yr "less" is taken out
By claiming "0" or less dependents then one actually will claim at the end of the yr more is taken out during the yr.

Which is then returned at the end of the yr as the difference between what they took out
and what one owes.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:53 am

Steve James wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:

Oh, you're right. I meant per week.

Either way it ain't enough to put a roof over your head and food on the table... Or even a table, really, that you didn't pull out of the trash
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:11 am

The more dependents one claims during the yr "less" is taken out
By claiming "0" or less dependents then one actually will claim at the end of the yr more is taken out during the yr.

Which is then returned at the end of the yr as the difference between what they took out
and what one owes.

You're absolutely right too windy. Thanks for pointing it out. I gotta remember to keep my glasses on while posting. I edited it to make it shorter and I mixed things up.

Yep, I didn't claim dependents until tax time came.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:19 am

Voting with fear and anger carries its own karma
KEND
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:25 pm

KEND wrote:Voting with fear and anger carries its own karma

*drops the mic...*
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby grzegorz on Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:04 am

grzegorz wrote:I owe $3,000!

Got it backwards. Last year I got $3000 and this year nothing.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:50 am

Lucky. Oh well, for many people, tax time just won't be the same any more.

On a side note, I didn't know how to feel after Amazon bailed on its NYC location. Then, I learned it seems Amazon will pay $0 taxes. Boo.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:39 pm

Amazon Will Pay a Whopping $0 in Federal Taxes on $11.2 Billion Profits

http://fortune.com/2019/02/14/amazon-do ... axes-2019/
grzegorz
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic